Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

yes - unfortunately its a UK number , so I can't really afford to stay on hold for an hour and half ! and can't organise payment etc. any other way, so it's unavoidable..
    Might give early morning a go tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Itziger wrote: »
    My 305 is really acting up. I have to press a selection of buttons at the same time to get the bugger to come on. Works ok when it eventually does come on but now it's screwing up the laptop when I try to upload the activity to G Connect. Not only has it not uploaded, the other internet pages stop responding - I mean Hey, I was halfway through Elvis Costello's Oliver's Army for Crissake. Seriously peed off with it now as 10 weeks to target Autumn marathon and was looking to get a bit more serious and specific with the sessions. Don't know if there's a solution, just ranting to be honest.
    Hard to see how the two problems could be related (specifically watch issues and internet performance) unless you have a massive activity stored on the watch (e.g. because of a bug/memory leak, or accidentally leaving the watch recording an activity. Perhaps try erasing your history?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

belcarra wrote: »
    Itzy - I'd suggest a Hard Reset? Probably won't do anything for it but sounds quite strange to be upsetting your internet performance!

I dunno, man. I'll try what you suggest - that's 'factory reset' or something,right? Not kidding about the computer though. The page just doesn't open and then other pages wouldn't respond. I've seen Krusty's comment but I don't think there's a huge queue of stuff to upload.

What are your own Autumn plans btw? Metz??? Valencia?? Or have you found one of those "31 Marathons in a month" things? If you have, ya gotta hope it's a month with 31 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I've seen Krusty's comment but I don't think there's a huge queue of stuff to upload.

It is worth a try. I had consistent problems uploading from my old 305 to garmin connect, that it would hang the website and the browser if I had too many activities on the watch. Once I regularly deleted all activities over a month old, I never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Folks, a quick update. It is quite worrying to tell ye the truth. The watch is worse than ever. Got it to come on this morning and it turned off immediately again. Twice. So a few minutes ago I visit Garmin Connect again. The page won't fully open AND ALL OTHER OPENED PAGES STOP RESPONDING! I kid you not. It's like the GConnect page is contaminated in some way. I have had to reload this page to post this. I'll try later on a desktop and report back.

I don't think it was an issue with amount of data to upload. There was only a couple of new activities on the watch.

• Advertisement

Folks, a quick update. It is quite worrying to tell ye the truth. The watch is worse than ever. Got it to come on this morning and it turned off immediately again. Twice. So a few minutes ago I visit Garmin Connect again. The page won't fully open AND ALL OTHER OPENED PAGES STOP RESPONDING! I kid you not. It's like the GConnect page is contaminated in some way. I have had to reload this page to post this. I'll try later on a desktop and report back.

I don't think it was an issue with amount of data to upload. There was only a couple of new activities on the watch.
    So the watch and your internet troubles are actually two completely unrelated events?
    1. Make sure your browser is up to date.
    2. Clear your caches.
    3. Try Garmin Connect in a different browser
    4. Buy a new watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Take a look at the thread from here.
    I had something similar and it resulted that it was a corrupt file on the watch that was causing the laptop to 'hang' when I tried to upload anything afterwards.
    You might get some help from it...or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

That is exactly what happened me regularly when trying to upload from my 305. GConnect would hang, and all other open pages would stop responding, I would have to completely close the browser and start again.

The number of new activities was not significant, but the total number of activities, new and old on the watch was large and reducing this solved the problem. I assume that during the upload, GConnect has to check all activities to worth out which ones are new.

This happened me regularly and deleting the old activities always worked,

If you have not already done this, delete all old activities and see if it makes a difference. Its might not, but based on my experience, its worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

What are your own Autumn plans btw? Metz??? Valencia?? Or have you found one of those "31 Marathons in a month" things? If you have, ya gotta hope it's a month with 31 days!

Heading to the US for Chicago on the 13th October, Marine Corps Marathon in DC on the 27th October and then flying back home in time for Dublin the next day! Needless to say Dublin will just be a very easy shuffle!
    Planning to go to Lanzarote in early December with my Bro and his family and lo & behold but if there isn't a marathon along the beachfront there at the same time! almost like I planned it:D

Sounds like the life of Riley but have to take my hols sometime/where!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭henryd65

Hello, I am having problems charging my 305.

I put the watch in the cradle, and the "battery charging in progress" come up.

I leave it charge, however, when I go to use the watch I get a "battery low" warning.

I did a soft and hard reset yesterday and I left it charge all night last night and still no good.

Any ideas ? Is the battery at its end of life ?

thanks.

• Advertisement

henryd65 wrote: »
    Any ideas ? Is the battery at its end of life ?
    Sure sounds like it. Might be worth a try, if you don't resolve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

You can't edit the fields in the summary screen on the watch (if that's what you mean?). It should be showing average pace though. What is displayed on the screen?

You answered this with a subsequent post Krusty. The speed was distance and not time. Sorted. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

ANT Not working

When connecting the ANT to any USB port on my laptop, it is not starting the program, when I click on the icon it says USB ant stick not active. Is this a problem with the stick or my laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Mrs RFR has a Garmin 110, that I have the autolap set to 1 mile and tones are turned on. Any reason why its not beeping at the end of every mile or does it simply not have the functionality?

Mrs RFR has a Garmin 110, that I have the autolap set to 1 mile and tones are turned on. Any reason why its not beeping at the end of every mile or does it simply not have the functionality?
    It's not mentioned in the manual, so I guess it doesn't have that feature. Seems a bit dumb (it has auto-lap, it has beep, why not put them together?!), but I guess that's why they call it entry-level (so they can charge you more for the beep).

boodiebhoy wrote: »
    ANT Not working

When connecting the ANT to any USB port on my laptop, it is not starting the program, when I click on the icon it says USB ant stick not active. Is this a problem with the stick or my laptop?
    Hard to know which device is causing the problem. If you go to [Device Manager] and expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers, you should see if there is a problem with the OS recognizing the ANT+ USB stick. If so, it's probably worthwhile re-installing the Garmin ANT Agent/USB drivers. Was it previously working with this laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

Hard to know which device is causing the problem. If you go to [Device Manager] and expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers, you should see if there is a problem with the OS recognizing the ANT+ USB stick. If so, it's probably worthwhile re-installing the Garmin ANT Agent/USB drivers. Was it previously working with this laptop?

Yeah it was working. Borrowed another stick today and it worked fine, so must be some issue with the ant stick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

I have the same watch, could be wrong but pretty sure it beeps. It's not exactly loud and barely audible when you're running though.

EDIT: Just in; Beeps every lap very quietly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Thanks SeanPuddin and Krusty. I'll take it for a test run during the week and see can I see/hear anything to indicate the lap time. Its a fairly different setup from my own reliable own 405, so appreciate the advice. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Technique

No bells or whistles, but surely this can't be bad for £20?

http://www.handtec.co.uk/satnav-gps/running-gps/garmin-fr60-black-mens-watch-only.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Technique wrote: »
    No bells or whistles, but surely this can't be bad for £20?

http://www.handtec.co.uk/satnav-gps/running-gps/garmin-fr60-black-mens-watch-only.html

It's not a GPS watch though, just a footpod. It won't be at all reliable for distance or pace. Nice price though.

menoscemo wrote: »
    It's not a GPS watch though, just a footpod. It won't be at all reliable for distance or pace. Nice price though.

No foot pod either (price is for watch only). You could add a foot pod and USB ANT stick, but then you'd be up around Forerunner 10 prices. Still, not a bad price for a reliable stop watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Is anyone else having this issue - go to Garmin Connect, log in etc. and try to create a course. Click a start point and then click the next point. Even though I have the 'Stay on Roads' option checked on, it just creates a straight line between point a and point b.
    I've tried on IE9, IE10 and Firefox and it's the same on each.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Is anyone else having this issue - go to Garmin Connect, log in etc. and try to create a course. Click a start point and then click the next point. Even though I have the 'Stay on Roads' option checked on, it just creates a straight line between point a and point b.
    I've tried on IE9, IE10 and Firefox and it's the same on each.
    Working fine for me (Chrome).

(Chrome)

eughh ;). I'll try installing that and see.

no dice with Chrome either. I wonder is it a Windows 8/Windows 2012 Server thing.

no dice with Chrome either. I wonder is it a Windows 8/Windows 2012 Server thing.
    I doubt it. Could it be that the roads you are plotting are missing the necessary routing data? Try plot a route in the middle of Dublin city. I just tried Firefox and that's working fine for me too.

I tried making a course from my front door which, although a small road, has previously worked for me. I also tried creating routes in London city and it was the same. I have a Windows7 lappy at home that worked fine previously. I'll give it a try later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

I tried making a course from my front door which, although a small road, has previously worked for me. I also tried creating routes in London city and it was the same. I have a Windows7 lappy at home that worked fine previously. I'll give it a try later

You can switch between OpenMaps, Google and Bing maps, maybe try them out too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

I see in Garmin activities that you can assign PR's but it only gives options ie. 1k,1m,5k,10k,HM,M and longest run. Can you personalise ? Cheers in advance.

Advertisement