Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Left 4 Dead

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Forget witches i think Tanks scare the sh1t out of me more, the tension created when you hear the deep breath (which sounds like a rhino or something) and then the ground shaking is goddamn creepy i honestly hate being the one having to agro him so we can bring him into "our" zone its just awful.

Me and my friend ran away from one all the way back to the starting safe house and locked the door thinking we would be fine. The "oh my god he's coming" kept repeating itself on ts for a while, i went to the door to look out the slits only for the tank to rip the door out and punch me into the wall and beat me to death. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I tried both of those links at home and they are both reading as blocked
    Stev_o wrote: »
    Forget witches i think Tanks scare the sh1t out of me more, the tension created when you hear the deep breath (which sounds like a rhino or something) and then the ground shaking is goddamn creepy i honestly hate being the one having to agro him so we can bring him into "our" zone its just awful.

Yeah he reminds me of the Berserkers in GoW. The fact that they randomly spawn makes them even worse. I remember facing one of them in that underground room, halfway through the subway level, I flanked behind a pillar thinking I was safe and it just runs at me destroying all the pillars between myself and it. Without the ability to dodge or sprint you pretty much just have to resign yourself to being killed if gets sight of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I've sunk about six hours into the demo so far. Can't wait for the full game to come out. I'm going to have to add some people here so I've regulars to do the campaign with instead of just playing with randoms, had some great games with pub randoms though.

There was one weird server I was on earlier, it was some insane ultra hard server. As in 4 tanks, 6 or so witches and the odd horde, this was in the first level just as we got out of the apartment block into the alley. Slightly balanced out by the fact there were six AI controlled "Bills" one of whom spawned a load of auto shotguns and medkits at the start. Has anyone else experienced this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I've sunk about six hours into the demo so far. Can't wait for the full game to come out. I'm going to have to add some people here so I've regulars to do the campaign with instead of just playing with randoms, had some great games with pub randoms though.

There was one weird server I was on earlier, it was some insane ultra hard server. As in 4 tanks, 6 or so witches and the odd horde, this was in the first level just as we got out of the apartment block into the alley. Slightly balanced out by the fact there were six AI controlled "Bills" one of whom spawned a load of auto shotguns and medkits at the start. Has anyone else experienced this?

Was on a server that had infinit ammo and no reload but constantly respawning zombies quite good fun only one of us got to the end :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

These servers sound amazing. Can't wait

I hope they dump that match maker and go back to the ordinary server browser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Anyone up for a friends list invite? playing with randomers is a total ball's most of the time so perhaps boards.ie user's are more fun to play with ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

id be up for some expert games with users here

KilOit wrote: »
    id be up for some expert games with users here

Yeah I think we are going to have a go of it again tonight. I learnt a lot of lessons the hard way so I think I'm just about ready to try and get through the demo on expert mode :o

Like leave your light off for as much as possible. If you can cope without it then do. I've found that if you shoot at a zombie with your light on it will run at you and if you strafe it will track you and change direction. With your light off, you can shoot at a zombie then strafe and they won't track you. You also need to not fire when you are strafing as they will be attracted to that.

It was funny in demo last watching a hoard of zombies run into the room and right past me and straight for the guy with his light on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Yeah I think we are going to have a go of it again tonight. I learnt a lot of lessons the hard way so I think I'm just about ready to try and get through the demo on expert mode :o

Like leave your light off for as much as possible. If you can cope without it then do. I've found that if you shoot at a zombie with your light on it will run at you and if you strafe it will track you and change direction. With your light off, you can shoot at a zombie then strafe and they won't track you. You also need to not fire when you are strafing as they will be attracted to that.

It was funny in demo last watching a hoard of zombies run into the room and right past me and straight for the guy with his light on :D

Interesting, i kinda assumed the noise from the gun will attract the horde to you, must test with the light out tonight.

KilOit wrote: »
    Interesting, i kinda assumed the noise from the gun will attract the horde to you, must test with the light out tonight.

the sound of the gun will attract the horde. What you need to do is shoot at a bunch of zombies until you need to reload, then strafe away from them, they usually won't follow you and instead go after someone else on your team if they have their light on.

The thing is if you are shooting whilst strafing they will track you. You need to move with your light off and not be shooting.

I found a lot of times I'd be completely unscathed whereas everyone else on my team with their lights on would of been knocked over onto the ground.

Plus its better to have the light off anyway, in case you accidentally disturb a witch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

So is the demo out today or what? argh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

IIRC most stuff is released in the evening of what ever time zone Valve are in :/

aaaaaaargh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Cunny-Funt wrote: »

Valvetimescale.jpg

It's over two hours late at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Valvetimescale.jpg

Bah! They just stole that highly technical, chrono-chart from Blizzard... and look at where that sort of carry on got them!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK:mad:

aaaaaaargh
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK:mad:

You're just like Cartman when he was waiting for the Wii to be released.

You gotsta freeze yourself - just for a week - then simply thaw, and the full game will be available for your consumption. Nothing could possublau go wrong!

;)

Its out now, downloading with steam at 8kb/s :( and its 3gbs +

aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrhghghghhg

**edit**

and yet my mates getting 250kb/s what am I doing wrong?

**edit2** nvm I;m okay :p

;)

Its out now, downloading with steam at 8kb/s :( and its 3gbs +

aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrhghghghhg

**edit**

and yet my mates getting 250kb/s what am I doing wrong?

300+Kbps and so far it's telling me it'll be 6.5 days.......

Edit: that's how long the demo is valid for, not how long it'll take to download.
    Silly me.

Can't remember the last time I was so hyped about a a feckin demo lol

• Advertisement

guys when you get it, add me to your steam (in my sig). Also, if you have mics, you need to use them.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    guys when you get it, add me to your steam (in my sig). Also, if you have mics, you need to use them.

N00b question...

Do people generally use the Teamspeak/Ventrillo programs for voice communication... or is it all handled in-game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Fnz wrote: »
    N00b question...

Do people generally use the Teamspeak/Ventrillo programs for voice communication... or is it all handled in-game?

Steam handles it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

As I mentioned in the thread about this over on the Half-Life board, Steam is damn slow downloading this today :(

yeah like I'm chatting to 3 mates on steam atm , we're all dying to play together. We were getting full speed for the 1st half hour but now its just been stuck at around 40kb/s for aaaaaaages now :(

I'm not even half way downloaded and I've been downloading since half 6.

Anything I can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I picked the worse day to reformat .

yeah like I'm chatting to 3 mates on steam atm , we're all dying to play together. We were getting full speed for the 1st half hour but now its just been stuck at around 40kb/s for aaaaaaages now :(

I'm not even half way downloaded and I've been downloading since half 6.

Anything I can do?

Wait until you get to downloading the updates.
    350+ kbps to 33kbps?
    RAGE!.png

Yet other people seem to even already have it downloaded? WTF like?

Would opening ports help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Getting 500k+ on BT here in the north.

• Advertisement

Yet other people seem to even already have it downloaded? WTF like?

Would opening ports help?

Actually, i've just been informed that we're FTP'ing something to 'merica, which explains my hideous download speeds.
    Guess it's just down to your connection and the gods of fate.

Advertisement