Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Golf Society 2015

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ah, ye did it again, lots of clashes with my own society, might try and make one as a visitor I guess

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Yes, I'll pay up to €5 extra
    slave1 wrote: »
    Ah, ye did it again, lots of clashes with my own society, might try and make one as a visitor I guess

Means I probably wont be joining you this year again Slave... but sure I'll try and get along for one myself.

Meant to be joining my former workplaces society this year too, so being in 2 societies might be enough for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

kieran. wrote: »
    As someone who travels long distances to the boards events I wish to congratulate SeveOB on his choices this year. As a lot of people in the society have good distances to travel once the locations are kept in close proximity to the motorway system as they are this year, they are reasonably accessible toall. Long journey times are easily outweighed by the good company you are assured of in the society.:)

Well Kieran. Maybe you should be rewarded with an event that it a little closer to you. ;)

Santa is making a visit to NRC Taxis today and there are lots of pressies under the tree.

16033012321_ee9dd4367c_c.jpg

And guess what, there is one there for you Boardsies. Many thanks to NRC Taxis who have kindly promised sponsorship which will help subsidise the cost of some of our outings. So I am very please to confirm the next outing on our list is a fantastic marquee course, host to the Ladies Irish Open and Solheim Cup

25th July 2015 Killeen Castle

It's gonna be a good one lads.

Oh yea, and while I am on about sponsorship etc. many, many thanks go out to Golfgrafix for organising a great rate for us to get out at Portmarnock links. Thanks John, I forgot to say it earlier.

Nice one Seve!

And well done on the bit of sponsorship. Have the number thrown into the phonebook for next time I am up in Dublin ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Rikand wrote: »
    Nice one Seve!

And well done on the bit of sponsorship. Have the number thrown into the phonebook for next time I am up in Dublin ;)

I'm just going to ring him on his mobile next time i'm on the last in dublin!!!!!!:D

• Advertisement

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I'm just going to ring him on his mobile next time i'm on the last in dublin!!!!!!:D

Ring me beforehand and I'll go on the lash with ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Looks fantastic lads, hoping to get out to a few more this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,740 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

lovely chair - can't wait to win a chair.

No, class, well done SEVE - New NRC customer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭benny79

Yes, I've money to burn and will pay whatever it takes to play the best courses
    defo will make an effort this year my new clubs set me back a fair bit last year! And considering i'm a Dub living in the midlands Ive no excuses :)

Lads, I just got a delivery of a big box of treats. There will be prizes for everyone between the big winners, the long drive and nearest the pin, I will also have a few picky outs at each outing and a special "booby prize" for the most golf played :)

OH, and balls... lots and lots of balls, you can never have enough balls :D

15861934198_759c845b31_c.jpg

• Advertisement

Previous committees for boards.ie golf society, worked in the background and everything was kind of done silently.

Seve just goes :: " hey everyone, look at me! "

Rikand wrote: »
    Previous committees for boards.ie golf society, worked in the background and everything was kind of done silently.

Seve just goes :: " hey everyone, look at me! "

I'm just trying to keep you interested Rikand, I'm not finished yet ;)

Class Seve - only thing I don't play power balls . (lol) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Fantastic work so far seve. Great courses on the calendar with a couple more gems to come I'd say. Looking forward to another great year in the society.

Well here is your next gem so 3putt

22 August Carton House, Monty course

Seve OB wrote: »
    Well here is your next gem so 3putt

22 August Carton House, Monty course

F*** sake .

You had me at Killeen.

I'm in . 100 % in.

You in contrast have nearly every outing next year on a day off.

Well done Seve.

F*** sake .

You had me at Killeen.

I'm in . 100 % in.

You in contrast have nearly every outing next year on a day off.

Well done Seve.

I hope you don't win any of them power balls :D

Only thing who gets to play with Tiger next year and come down last hole last in Jug , in wrong hands .

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭athlone99

some cracking courses there, def going to try get to more rounds this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

And now we're just waiting on the captains day. With the list so far we must be heading somewhere really nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

The list of courses is starting to grab my attention! Is there any regulars from the north east that play?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Yes, I'll pay up to €10 extra
    redzerdrog wrote: »
    The list of courses is starting to grab my attention! Is there any regulars from the north east that play?
    I'm from Monaghan and will get to most outings carpooling would not be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭thelostboys23

Anyone be going from kilkenny area id be interested in making a few of these.

So here we are, 2 days to go and Santa is busy stuffing his sack. Your Boards Golf Society Outings for 2015 have been finalised and line up as follows

31/01/2015 10:30 The Heritage - - - Captains Drive in, non qualifying and a bit of fun to welcome old and new
    21/02/2015 10:00 Portmarnock Links
    21/03/2015 11:15 Naas
    25/04/2015 10:00 Tullamore
    23/05/2015 11:00 Dundrum House
    27/06/2015 10:30 The Royal Curragh
    27/07/2015 13:30 Killeen Castle
    22/08/2015 10:30 Carton House Monty Course
    19/09/2015 14:00 Fota Island Deerpark Course Captains Prize

So start your practice early guys, the Race to Cork is on.

The annual sub will be €30. Each of the first 6 outings will be €35. The last three outings will be heavily subsidised but unfortunately there is not a bottomless pit, however I expect you should be paying no more than €40-€45. I don't however want to see a surge of people only coming out for cheap golf at marquee venues so places and discounts will be reserved primarily for the regular attendees. Visitors will be welcome where space allow but will have to pay the full green fee on the day plus a fiver.

For Captains night, I have 18 beds booked in the River Lee Hotel in Cork city. If you are interested in one of these spots, let me know, and we might start to collect deposits for this at the outings during the year.

There you have it guys, all set to go for 2015, now roll on the Heritage on 31st January

Keep an eye out and I will get the thread going for the first outing soon and teamer messages will be sent out early in the new year. If you are interested in joining, drop me a PM and we will get you set up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Tried getting out to some outings last year but being the tight year it was it just wasn't possible but this year (although Corballis kinda counted :D ) I'll hopefully make them all but definitely a few of them, the course list looks amazing

Pormarnock, Curragh, Monty,Kileen and Fota are the ones I'm looking forward to most

One of the best list of outings I've ever seen for a society I could go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

Outstanding list of courses to look forward to tackling in 2015. All we need now is to be blessed with some good weather on those days early in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭tigerwood1

merry xmas all

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Happy Christmas to all in the Society and best wishes to those that are thinking about joining.
    Fair play to Charlie for all his effort this year and Charlie, you're in my thoughts at this time.
    Seve, best of luck next year, the bull is complaining that you're pulling his horns off already :)

Looks like a great year in store next year! Well done to all, especially to the lads that brought this from an idea into reality.

• Advertisement

Lads,
    As I was reading it on another thread. Hope I’m not over stepping the mark.
    Could there be a reiteration of exactly how the handicaps will work.

The difficulty I find with societies is - that it is not unusual for your handicap to be adjusted up or down versus your GUI handicap . I know we had a couple of discussions in thread and at outings about this last year.
    Then you have others who say it should be GUI or nothing. I can see the benifits of society golf being designed for all to have a chance to win. But up to the committee.

This society is a little different in that the majority – what 80 , 90 %are going to have GUI handicaps.
    I guess the key is to have the rules right and stick with them – but this is an issue for committee to decide how to implement.

Anyway – could we post handicap rules please. If posted I guess they will be similar the way rules were , but any changes this year ?

Advertisement