Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Boards Cycling MeetUp Dundrum"

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    OK guys let's keep the momentum going here.

Group spin next Sunday 9th Nov meeting Balally Luas stop, departing 9.00 am 20 - 25 k pace

All Welcome

ROUTE : Enniskerry Djouce Ballinastoe Roundwood back via Calary with one or two little surprises to keep us warm.

Who's in ?

Good stuff, see yous Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Group spin next Sunday 9th Nov meeting Balally Luas stop, departing 9.00 am 20 - 25 k pace

All Welcome

ROUTE : Enniskerry Djouce Ballinastoe Roundwood back via Calary with one or two little surprises to keep us warm.

Who's in ?

I should be able to make it this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭useeme

What distance would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Ah suppose about 70 k give or take . .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

There's a fair bit of climbing !

• Advertisement

Bigus wrote: »
    There's a fair bit of climbing !
    Please don't be put off by the above post

There's the road up to Djouce and a couple of short kickers planned for way back by which time the coffee and cake will get you home.

Pace will be the same as last weekend, comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Please don't be put off by the above post

There's the road up to Djouce and a couple of short kickers planned for way back by which time the coffee and cake will get you home.

Pace will be the same as last weekend, comfortable.

I will probably come along again start time is great, recommended to anyone who hasn't been out so much, last week thought me there is always a longer way to enniskerry.

I will again stalk Colm18 till its gets too steep for me,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

All Welcome

Who's in ?

Maybe set up a new thread for each spin Bikerbhoy, as the title of this one suggests a date last week. Probably in Wexford myself this weekend, but will be along if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

All Welcome

Who's in ?

Sounds great.
    Count me in

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

smacl wrote: »
    Maybe set up a new thread for each spin Bikerbhoy, as the title of this one suggests a date last week. Probably in Wexford myself this weekend, but will be along if not.

If the spin was to become a regular event one suggestion would be to set up an ongoing thread for the "Balally Luas Sunday Spin Group" which summarises the nature of the Sunday spins (or whatever) but set up a "team" up on http://teamer.net for communicating details of new spins and getting confirmation of attendance etc.

Maybe such formality/structure isn't in the spirit of having casual Sunday spins though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭useeme

I'm on for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

If there's no mountain biking on Sunday I'll tip down in the car and join ye. I'll know where I stand Saturday evening

Ok , following on from suggestions and with the help of Cramcycle ,Thank You , we have changed thread title to a more ongoing one as opposed to carrying on under the previous title which was date specific and could have been a bit misleading.

So going forward this can be used as it says a "meetup" for people to arrange or check in on spin arrangements for the coming days, week etc

It can also be used for others to organise group spins etc outside of any I may put together as Sunday mornings may not suit everyone weekdays , evenings etc .

Hopefully with some input from members this could be a usefull resource for all.

Let's see how it goes. . .

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Hopefully I'll make this, unless I get blathered at the wedding present sat nite

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

I'll be there this Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Why is it limited to drop bars only?

Why is it limited to drop bars only?

. . . . Because flat bars are dangerous in group riding.and secondary drop bars are far more comfortable for longer distance

. . . . Because flat bars are dangerous in group riding

Where did you pull that idea out of?
    and secondary drop bars are far more comfortable for longer distance

Absolute rubbish.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Where did you pull that idea out of

Absolute rubbish.

I think its to do with flat bars possibly hooking into drop bars, getting caught etc or what I was lead to believe in groups.

The comfort thing is individual though I'd imagine

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Weepsie wrote: »

I've used both on long rides, and for me the range of hand and body positions afforded by drop bars makes them much more comfortable. Bar ends help, but I'd certainly miss the drop position at this stage when descending, on bad surfaces, and just to change position.

No idea about the safety aspect, but have noticed in the past that most road clubs have a drop bars only rule. Funny enough, ThinkBike used to be one of the exceptions, and I've been on a club spin with them on my hybrid in the past.

There's definitely a gap in the leisure cycling scene for a club that has social spins that cater for those without road bikes.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    I think its to do with flat bars possibly hooking into drop bars, getting caught etc or what I was lead to believe in groups.

Ok thanks for that.

'tis a pity.

smacl wrote: »

No idea about the safety aspect, but have noticed in the past that most road clubs have a drop bars only rule. Funny enough, ThinkBike used to be one of the exceptions, and I've been on a club spin with them on my hybrid in the past.

This isn't a ThinkBike spin though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭QueensGael

This is standard in any group ride, whether a club ride or casual get together. It's one of the first things you learn as a ride leader. Flat bars risk getting tangled up in drop bars, and so they're not allowed in group riding situations.
    Absolute rubbish.

There are three different hand positions available on a drop bar, vs one on a standard flat bar. The flat bar position can put pressure on your wrist nerves, which can lead to numbness and discomfort over longer distances, whereas the drops allow you to shift your hands around as appropriate to the course. More about it here http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/insightzone/features/article/izn20131104-Beginner-Handlebars-0

Finally - Bikerbhoy has taken it on himself to organise these group rides for the benefit of folks who can't/don't want to go with club groups. If you don't like what he's suggesting, you don't have to go with him. But he's a very experienced cyclists and group leader, so it'd be no harm to listen to and learn from him. My $0.02.

QueensGael wrote: »
    Finally - Bikerbhoy has taken it on himself to organise these group rides for the benefit of folks who can't/don't want to go with club groups. If you don't like what he's suggesting, you don't have to go with him. But he's a very experienced cyclists and group leader, so it'd be no harm to listen to and learn from him. My $0.02.

Thanks for the reply.

I understand from the other posters now WHY it's dangerous. The comfort aspect is subjective though.

Bikerbhoy could have been less condisending (elitest) in his reply. My query would insinuate that I haven't a bloody clue about group cycles and a little explaining wouldn't have hurt.

If you are going to set something up in a public forum, expect questions from novices and have the ability to answer them without coming accross as arrogant. My 2 cents ;)

Absolute rubbish.

To be fair , if you're going to complain about the tone of other people's replies , you might want to look at your own.

colm18 wrote: »
    To be fair , if you're going to complain about the tone of other people's replies , you might want to look at your own.

To be fair, it's not quite the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Iamxavier, text is a terrible way to convey tone. I don't read Bikerbhoy's reply as remotely condescending or elitist. Knowing him slightly he's actually very supportive and helpful to newbies so I think you're reading something that wasn't intended to be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

. . . . Because flat bars are dangerous in group riding.and secondary drop bars are far more comfortable for longer distance

Succinct and clear reply to question.

Absolute rubbish.

Aggressive and overly defensive reply.

Bikerbhoy could have been less condisending (elitest) in his reply. My query would insinuate that I haven't a bloody clue about group cycles and a little explaining wouldn't have hurt.

I see no insinuation in your question. It was a straightforward question which received a straightforward reply.
    If you are going to set something up in a public forum, expect questions from novices and have the ability to answer them without coming accross as arrogant. My 2 cents ;)

If somebody has decided to use up some of their free time to arrange an event for newbies like yourself to encourage them to go out and ride and meet a few people. Spends time on said forum answering questions and making arrangements, maybe people should respect their efforts instead of adopting some strange sense of entitlement and scream offensiveness where no-one else sees it.

A little respect and decorum would be appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

If somebody has decided to use up some of their free time to arrange an event for newbies like yourself to encourage them to go out and ride and meet a few people. Spends time on said forum answering questions and making arrangements, maybe people should respect their efforts instead of adopting some strange sense of entitlement and scream offensiveness where no-one else sees it.

A little respect and decorum would be appropriate.

^^^ 100%

• Advertisement

I picked up the " . . . . " to be consdisending. Apologies if I picked that up wrong and if my replies have come accross as aggressive, that was not intended.

Well my questions have been answered and I will leave this thread with more knowledge on group cycles ;). I think I might stick to MTB for the time being.

Enjoy your cycle on Sunday. I hope you have the weather for it.

Advertisement