Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Anybody had a look at this Velon thing that all the pro teams are tweeting about? If it means that more teams can do fan engagement as well as the likes of OGE, then I'm all for it. I've seen BMC's and Giant-Shimano's attempts, and while well intentioned, they're just a little too po-faced and clean-cut to really catch on. Then some of the teams I'm surprised are on-board at all - Lampre Merida in particular. I'm not quite sure where they are going to go with it.

Yes Orica are at the front of what is needed to promote cycling, this was all started by Cervelo back in the day. Velon also owns a share of InCycle so that explains how they get such top quality guests on shows. Think cycling really needs to think outside the box and tap the market not of just showing a race as it has done but more information and data to amaze people

On another note saw this on cycling tips http://www.strava.com/activities/216786988/segments/5120351015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

General question lads. When you are cycling a long distance solo and you want to stop for coffee or food, how do you secure the bike? I have a kryptonite lock but its heavier than the bike is. I leave it on a bike rack in work for the commute in and don't really fancy lumping it around for 100 km +. But I equally don't fancy my trusty steed getting nicked by a scober while I enjoy my coffee. Is there a solution for this?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

1. Eat on the bike

2. Stop somewhere where you can see the bike while you order your food.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I got a kryptonite mini and it fits neatly in my jersey pocket. Failing this, leave it underneath a more expensive bike or what I have done once or twice, if the shop is big enough, pop in your head and say that you forgot your lock, could you leave it inside the door?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Riders eye view of the madison:

The slingshot is just all kinds of cool. Scary but cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

gadetra wrote: »
    Riders eye view of the madison:

The slingshot is just all kinds of cool. Scary but cool.

You're in the right club, so you know who to ask to let us have a go at it.

You're in the right club, so you know who to ask to let us have a go at it.

And I will. After I get my nerve back when Track opens again. Didn't Like his hand position though, I've never been comfy there on a Track bike. He must have Spink/ spinx (sp) bars?

In other news I'm heading out on my first out-of-the-carpark spin up the road this evening. I'm inordinately excited!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

In other news I'm heading out on my first out-of-the-carpark spin up the road this evening. I'm inordinately excited!!
    Be mindful that laughing like a maniac at beimg on a proper road will make other road user uncomfortable...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Be mindful that laughing like a maniac at beimg on a proper road will make other road user uncomfortable...
    Especially when that other user is not anticipating a madison slingshot....

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

I love this. Country heading into its fourth year of civil war. Menaced by psychotic terrorist groups and psychotic dictatorship. And citizens of Damascus Syria go cycling. http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2014/11/damascus-cycling-initiative-eco-friendly-transportation.html Chapeau.

• Advertisement

And I will. After I get my nerve back when Track opens again. Didn't Like his hand position though, I've never been comfy there on a Track bike. He must have Spink/ spinx (sp) bars?

No Sphinx bars, standard for Madison. It's the only way to do it tbh.

No Sphinx bars, standard for Madison. It's the only way to do it tbh.

Really? My wrists get really sore on the invisible hoods on a track bike. The tops fine, drops fine. Can't imagine having them at that weird angle bent around nothing for that long. Strange. His hand went up onto the bars for the slingshot? The other riders seemed to be not he drops or bars?

I laughed out loud quite a bit on my spin. The area on around one of my screws has blown up red, swollen and sore. Seems to happen every time I try to put in a bit of effort on the bike :( It's only my second time on the bike off the turbo though, I imagine it'll get better with time and happen less and less. No slingshots ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

General question lads. When you are cycling a long distance solo and you want to stop for coffee or food, how do you secure the bike? I have a kryptonite lock but its heavier than the bike is. I leave it on a bike rack in work for the commute in and don't really fancy lumping it around for 100 km +. But I equally don't fancy my trusty steed getting nicked by a scober while I enjoy my coffee. Is there a solution for this?
    I tend to use filling stations which have a lot of CCTV but there have been many times on 200km+ rides where I'd love to have sat down and had a proper knife and fork meal. Occasionally I'll eat indoors but it is usually in fairly isolated spots where I'll take the risk (e.g. (Glencree, Laragh etc.). Ironically though, on club rides, I don't really think about it even though the the bikes are often out of sight. Must be psychological - safety in numbers etc.

Really? My wrists get really sore on the invisible hoods on a track bike. The tops fine, drops fine. Can't imagine having them at that weird angle bent around nothing for that long. Strange. His hand went up onto the bars for the slingshot? The other riders seemed to be not he drops or bars?

I laughed out loud quite a bit on my spin. The area on around one of my screws has blown up red, swollen and sore. Seems to happen every time I try to put in a bit of effort on the bike :( It's only my second time on the bike off the turbo though, I imagine it'll get better with time and happen less and less. No slingshots ;)

Ugh, sorry, was knackered when replied, you're right that position takes a bit of getting used to and is not the "standard" Madison position. Ignore me.

Would you not get the sticky out bit checked by doc in case the messed it up again?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ironically though, on club rides, I don't really think about it even though the the bikes are often out of sight. Must be psychological - safety in numbers etc.
    I guess the prospect of a posse of club riders hunting them down may put off the opportunist when there are a load of unsecured bikes in the same place (certainly when you are away from larger towns with few opportunities to lie low)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

When I saw this:

329750.jpg

I was all like this:

The_Scream.jpg

Sad Lenny is sad. Fortunately Garmin have an excellent repair policy, and I can get an as new exchange unit for £68. There is a 2 week turnaround though.

lennymc wrote: »

Sad Lenny is sad. Fortunately Garmin have an excellent repair policy, and I can get an as new exchange unit for £68. There is a 2 week turnaround though.

time to upgrade to the 510,

kermit-the-frog-but-that-s-none-of-my-business.gif

Would you not get the sticky out bit checked by doc in case the messed it up again?

Nah it's only sore and not painful, I'm asking it to do something it hasn't done before so I imagine it's a teething problem. And if that's how it's gonna be I have to start getting used to it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Nah it's only sore and not painful
    what's the difference?

what's the difference?

Pain would mean you can't move, think, speak, have to stop everything, probably take something if it doesn't go away. Sore is just sore. Hurts but you can move around and think, go about your business. With this for example it's just hurting away, it's notstopping me doing anything (but cycle today!). Therefore it's only sore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

what's the difference?

The volume and ferocity of the verbal abuse given to the effected body part.

As in the difference between "shut up legs" and "Fupp you, you eveil bastket legs"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Sore is where you hurt yourself. Painful is where you hurt your bike.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Managed to snot myself on the commute home. Just after connolly station, heading southbound before the bridge, was filtering through traffic when either I lost grip purely due to the damp, or there was oil. Front wheel lost it, then got grip back, only to lose it again and nearly smash my face into the curb. Now I have a sore leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

lennymc wrote: »
    When I saw this:

329750.jpg

I was all like this:

The_Scream.jpg

Ill sell you my old one for €80 and have it to you tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

That Garmin picture reminds me that the power button on my 705 now has rips in it. Last time that happened water got in and wrecked the unit so I got a refurb. Reckon if it happens again that I might get an option on the 1000 unit?

Zyzz wrote: »
    Ill sell you my old one for €80 and have it to you tomorrow.

I will see you my old 500 for 75 :). Should put mine on deals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Seeing as we're speaking of edges, I'm in the market for an 810. Has anyone heard any info about an updated version to be released anytime soon?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

an article on racism and privilege illustrated by using cycling as an analogy:

http://alittlemoresauce.com/2014/08/20/what-my-bike-has-taught-me-about-white-privilege/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

The Marco Pantani film: The accidental death of a cyclist, is now available on Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

New kit

B3gqBkaCUAA4_A7.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement