Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling etiquette, meeting other cyclists

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Not immediately relevant. But not long after I started cycling, I came in one day and Rambling Woman asked me if there were many cyclists out.

I told her "loads, but almost all of them on the other side of the road" She sat me down and after going through a few diagrams I realised I'd had a Dougal moment.

I still give that as an answer if someone asks me if I saw many cyclists out on my spin..... "I saw loads, but they were all going in the opposite direction" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's a bit odd when in boards.ie kit, and you meet another in similar boards.ie attire and they don't respond to a nod/wave. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

Schecter01 wrote: »
    This may seem a daft question, but what is the etiquette when a cycling alone and you cross paths with a fellow cyclist.
    My reason for asking is a really sound cyclist pulled pulled up alongside me today and started chatting away asking me how my ride was going etc, was a grand bit of Then he went his way and I went mine. Felt really good to have that, wouldn't happen when walking!

Would it be common place to slide up along a fellow chap on his evening spin and engage in chat, or a quick nod suffice? I don't want to come across a weirdo sponging on someone's spin but I don't want to be a rude tit either, what are the "unwritten rules " of cycling etiquette??

{Each a glance and gone forever} >>>>>from A Railway Carriage [R.L Stevenson

"Only a signal shown and a distant voice in the darkness; So on the ocean of life we pass and speak one another, Only a look and a voice, then darkness again and a silence.
    {Longfellow, Tales of a Wayside Inn} >>>>>Like Ships In The Night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

It's a bit odd when in boards.ie kit, and you meet another in similar boards.ie attire and they don't respond to a nod/wave. :confused:

I've had people in my own club kit blank me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

gadetra wrote: »
    I get that an awful lot. I thought it maybe cos they don't want to be 'beaten' by a woman. Even though I'm out doing my own thing, and presumably they are too. I'll never understand that. I had one in particular tell me, after the had done what you describe above to me when I was on my elderly commuter (or superbike to give him his full due!) from UCD to Leeson Street/canal, "You can beat all the boys if you had a bike like mine". Err, I was just cycling into town, completely minding my own business. He had a hole in the árse of his shorts too. that was unpleasant to say the least!
    a hole in the arse, that there is enough reason to pass the semi flasher by!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

:eek:

But it's the best club in the country! :D

My instinctual greeting is actually a solitary finger lifted off the bars. I forget it isn't as obvious on a bike and go to the nod/smile/wave after, by which time other cyclist has mostly gone by. I suppose it looks like a slow-mo-almost greeting!

Bloggsie wrote: »
    a hole in the arse, that there is enough reason to pass the semi flasher by!

Aye true, but I was going in for the day and night and I didn't want to sweat in my going-out clothes!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MugMugs wrote: »
    Be careful or you'll dig up a Roadie -vs- MTBer argument :D

We're all friends on two wheels, even those who go on two wheels and jump of to play in the mud (CXers) or those who fall off to play in the mud (MTBers), it's when they put on the swimsuit that their personality changes.

Going gravel riding in the US myself in a few weeks (for work), as far as I can tell it is basically CX on dry, loose ground, rather than in mud.

My instinctual greeting is actually a solitary finger lifted off the bars.

The true sign of a culchie, learned from their parents doing the same to one and all while driving or walking, even if they don't know them, just in case, the other party knows them.

CramCycle wrote: »
    The true sign of a culchie, learned from their parents doing the same to one and all while driving or walking, even if they don't know them, just in case, the other party knows them.

Ya might know of them :pac:

Or in my case, since I'm out of home a good while now, they know me but I don't know them. So it's an insurance finger wave!

I actually think it could make it as the official bike greeting. You don't have to take your hands off the bars, but is yet fully functional as a gesture. I am bringing it in. That's my excuse. A one woman mission for cultural change (not because I forget to do anything else at all :) ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I do the weird culchie head nod, you know, the sideways twist.

I did that to a guy in a tractor last weekend on a 200km audax somewhere out in the back of nowhere near Kells and got the full wave in return. All it needed was a sheep dog in the cab and I could have been back in my childhood.

Same here (...and as recently as yesterday!)
    I thought that was the raising of the thumb from the hand hanging over the top of the steering wheel.

I thought that was the raising of the thumb from the hand hanging over the top of the steering wheel.

Never seen the thumb one but the fully outstretched arm (so their hand is on the windscreen), with their fingers as spread out as possible, turned sidewards, like a really weird "eastside" gang sign and a mad open mouthed grin was the other one that I seen in my youth, not as popular as the finger wave, and not as rare as the full wave.

Ah the full hand spread is popular amongst lorry drivers (The father was one). It only appeared for people you actually knew. Ditto in tractor etc. Although the single finger is equally applicable. It's also embarrassingly instinctual to me also, although I try to confine it to down home.

The thumb is equal to the finger, but less common down our way anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I do the weird culchie head nod, you know, the sideways twist.

I've been living in this country for 11 years and it still takes a bit of thinking what does it really mean when I see it.

"Your helmet is unstrapped dude"

"Turn that blinding light off"

"Nice bike but freddish kit"

:pac:

Somehow it does not look positive to me, sideway head movement usually means "no".

Personally I open my right hand without lifting it from handlebar to greet oncoming cyclists on longer spins and in areas ridden bit less than Dublin>Eniskerry route on Saturday ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

I give a nod and will generally get a response back. When I don't :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,753 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

I tend to give a salute when I can, but more often than not all I get in return is a look as to say "what is that bloated looking daffodil doing trying to ride a bike" :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

I was having a well earned break on a ditch on the N81

Yeah, I'm in it for the glamour too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

He had a hole in the árse of his shorts too. that was unpleasant to say the least!
    Hi-viz :)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

I have only met three types of cyclists who don't wave back:
    Triathletes - they are not really cyclists
    Cyclists with nearly full kit but wearing runners instead of going with cleats - they don't know any better, give them time
    Orwell Wheelers - too good to communicate with the rest of us plebs :pac:

Zing!!!! Still enjoy the feeling of being able to outrun a cyclist uphill on a windy day 😂😂😂

• Advertisement

passed a posse from Lucan on the way out of Kilcock yesterday, 10-15 of them & not one of de hoors bothered to say hello, good morning, hows it going.

all far to busy talking & causing a tail back into Kilcock. Where as any lone cyclist or two's i passed were very happy to give a shout out.

must be a club thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Bloggsie wrote: »
    passed a posse from Lucan on the way out of Kilcock yesterday, 10-15 of them & not one of de hoors bothered to say hello, good morning, hows it going.

all far to busy talking & causing a tail back into Kilcock. Where as any lone cyclist or two's i passed were very happy to give a shout out.

must be a club thing!

I waved, and got chastened for saying hi to a loner probably with nothing better to do than complain on internet forums. You should pay more attention.

the above is simulated truth

Belated .o/ from lcrc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Everyone in Lucan is a gent and a scholar and I won't hear a word sent against them.

That's got to be worth a least one lead out or a cash alternative.

idleater,

muchos gracias. i very much appreciate the gesture. you sir/madam are unique.

daragh,

"everyone in Lucan is a gent and a scholar", even the female members! wow thats some club, no doubt about it!

Saluted a fellow club mate this evening (both of us in club kit) - no response! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Saluted a fellow club mate this evening (both of us in club kit) - no response! :confused:

Never understood that. I've been blanked by an entire opposite approaching club pelaton before. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Where was that? I was behind one of your club mates yesterday at the lights, which were red, going over the M1 for Swords. Guess what he did? I didn't wave.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Where was that?...
    North Dublin City - I'm going to check Strava FlyBy and hunt him down! :D

I know what his problem is he a member of the peoples front of judea & your not, your a member of the judean peoples front!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Schecter01

Splitters!!

Advertisement