Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Basic Web Design Question..

• 01-09-2014 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I have a background in Graphics and have been playing with the Sketch app, find it very good and coming from a PS / Illustrator background it's very workable.

I'd like to set myself a small project of publishing a simple website made with Sketch to get an idea of the workflow. My very basic problem is what to do with the artboards I make in Sketch and how to get them online. I have only basic HTML / CSS knowledge but am would like to develop my skills on this end too. Is the idea to export your work as slices and code them into a website with HTML / CSS / Javascript? Or can you take the work to a WYSIWYG program? Can you export CSS attributes of what you design in Sketch?

If someone could give a very basic overview of how I should think about the workflow it would be very helpful. I have been working on tutorials from Code Academy about basic web coding but it's the gap between designing and uploading as a website I lack clarity on.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I have no idea what Sketch is, but here's some info about CSS background attributes: http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_background.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 43 niallweb1

I use photoshop to design websites and export the graphics as slices. I dunno if this is the same as sketch why not google your question. google is a designers best friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Exporting PSD's as slices isn't a good way to create a website. Anything that doesn't need to be a graphic or that can be replicated in CSS should be done with CSS.

Advertisement