Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Lemlin wrote: »
    Taking the expenditure argument out of it, I still don't believe his training methods, if they're as strict and hardcore as is described by the media, are garnering results.

The way he acts with the media also comes across very poorly. Watching the coverage last night, you have Jim Gaving running around with a smile on his face and then McGeeney standing scowling. I realise Mcgeeney is hardly going to stand smiling while his team is obliterated but he could crack the odd wry smile now and again!

I think McGeeney has certainly improved Kildare but he's brought them as far as he can. I'd be interested in seeing how he'd get on in Armagh. I realise they're struggling this year but they still have the Crossmaglen lads and are a talented bunch.

I agree with the gist of this. No one can deny Kildare are still along way ahead of where they were in 2007 but the time is right for a change. Kildare will not go into terminal decline as some people fear as long as the right appointment is made. There is enough talent in the county to keep us competitive.

As for McGeeney, I wrote earlier that I'm not sure he realises how good he has it in Kildare. The supporters have been very good to him and he has as loyal and as committed a squad of players as there is out there. The County Board and clubs have also been very accommodating. The reaction to the Dublin defeat has been quite measured and generally speaking, expectations of the county team are realistic. Compare that to Armagh where Paul Grimley who was hung out to dry in the aftermath of the defeat to Cavan. I also wonder how accommodating would the Crossmaglen club be if they were without their county players for as long as the Kildare clubs do without our lads. Interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

Im my opinion McGeeney has had a very good influence to Kildare. Up to a few years ago they were described as the fittest team in ireland. That allowed them win games that maybe they shouldnt, or been closer to teams they were not as good as.
    Id say they are probably as fit as any other team now, not more so, but less natural talent as Dublin/Kerry/Donegal and therefore getting found out.

I think its fair to say that Dublin were always going to win the match on Sunday - no matter what the tatics were/team line out was. Kildare fans were already expecting that so were prepared.

(Yes whats disappointing is the manner in which we were disposed but i think when it comes to a certain point, and the match is lost, teams drop their heads and thus can be beaten by high scores.)

Louth are up next and we really need to just focus on that game. If we are beaten here, and i dont think we will, then we will need to reexamine the situation.

League form is good. We put up a fair challenge to most teams (apart from Dublin) and i think we will do OK in the qualifiers.
    At the moment would we beat Cork/Kerry/Tyrone/Donegal? No, but there are 15 or so other teams that we probably would. If we got through the next 2/3 matches, or perhaps croker again i think it would be a fair achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

kencoo wrote: »
    Im my opinion McGeeney has had a very good influence to Kildare. Up to a few years ago they were described as the fittest team in ireland. That allowed them win games that maybe they shouldnt, or been closer to teams they were not as good as.
    Id say they are probably as fit as any other team now, not more so, but less natural talent as Dublin/Kerry/Donegal and therefore getting found out.

I think its fair to say that Dublin were always going to win the match on Sunday - no matter what the tatics were/team line out was. Kildare fans were already expecting that so were prepared.

(Yes whats disappointing is the manner in which we were disposed but i think when it comes to a certain point, and the match is lost, teams drop their heads and thus can be beaten by high scores.)

Louth are up next and we really need to just focus on that game. If we are beaten here, and i dont think we will, then we will need to reexamine the situation.

League form is good. We put up a fair challenge to most teams (apart from Dublin) and i think we will do OK in the qualifiers.
    At the moment would we beat Cork/Kerry/Tyrone/Donegal? No, but there are 15 or so other teams that we probably would. If we got through the next 2/3 matches, or perhaps croker again i think it would be a fair achievement.
    While this is correct I don't think it's to the extent that is being shown on the pitch for the last few years. Kildare have had some outstanding footballers over Geezers tenure. Earley, Cavanagh, Doyle, Bolton etc. would all have walked on to any county team in the country. The problem seems to be that they are having the natural, instinctive side of their games sacrificed to fit into McGeeneys rather rigid system. I thought this might change with the introduction of Jason Ryan this season but his influence has been minimal to the average spectator.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I agree with the gist of this. No one can deny Kildare are still along way ahead of where they were in 2007 but the time is right for a change. Kildare will not go into terminal decline as some people fear as long as the right appointment is made. There is enough talent in the county to keep us competitive.

As for McGeeney, I wrote earlier that I'm not sure he realises how good he has it in Kildare. The supporters have been very good to him and he has as loyal and as committed a squad of players as there is out there. The County Board and clubs have also been very accommodating. The reaction to the Dublin defeat has been quite measured and generally speaking, expectations of the county team are realistic. Compare that to Armagh where Paul Grimley who was hung out to dry in the aftermath of the defeat to Cavan. I also wonder how accommodating would the Crossmaglen club be if they were without their county players for as long as the Kildare clubs do without our lads. Interesting times ahead.

In fairness, there's a big difference between losing to one of the top teams in the country and losing to Cavan. Much as I hate to say it.

I think what also annoyed Armagh fans was the naive nature of their play in that game. Armagh are a slightly better team than Cavan man-for-man at present. I've no doubt about that. Terry got his tactics right on the day and Grimley didn't.

What would be your opinion on Dermot Earley being given a role somewhere? Even if its just the U21 job for a while to see how he goes. Cavan have started giving former player roles with Dermot McCabe working with the minors previously, Peter Reilly with the U21s and Anthony Forde with the U21s and now the seniors as a selector.

In fairness, there's a big difference between losing to one of the top teams in the country and losing to Cavan. Much as I hate to say it.

I think what also annoyed Armagh fans was the naive nature of their play in that game. Armagh are a slightly better team than Cavan man-for-man at present. I've no doubt about that. Terry got his tactics right on the day and Grimley didn't.

What would be your opinion on Dermot Earley being given a role somewhere? Even if its just the U21 job for a while to see how he goes. Cavan have started giving former player roles with Dermot McCabe working with the minors previously, Peter Reilly with the U21s and Anthony Forde with the U21s and now the seniors as a selector.

I think expectations in some counties are totally unrealistic though. Armagh are certainly one such county. Their supporters were spoilt for success in the last decade and the current team is nowhere near that level yet the level of expectation surrounding them remains high. I don't think McGeeney would be given the same leeway he has gotten in Kildare if he does end up in Armagh in the future.

Kildare have a number of ex-players involved at underage - Brian Murphy is over the minor team along with Brian Lacey. Tadhg Fennin is involved with the development squads and Karl Ennis is now with the Juniors. Damien Hendy is also with the seniors and u21s. John Divilly is over the Kildare ladies team having managed NUIM for a number of years. I don't know what Dermot Earley's intentions for the future are but he does seem to be cultivating a media profile maybe with a view to getting involved in punditry. He trained the Army team for the inter-firms competition and I'd say he will probably get involved with the academy set up in honour of his father in Sarsfields.

I think Brian Murphy should have been given the u21 job a few years ago with a view to taking over the senior job whenever McGeeney goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Just hope for his sake that he remembers his way out of the dressing room if he does get a role :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭largepants

dcr22B wrote: »
    Just hope for his sake that he remembers his way out of the dressing room if he does get a role :rolleyes:

Did you think of that yourself or did you rob it from res dubs?

Unchanged minor team announced for tomorrow's Leinster semi-final:

Sean Dempsey; Cian McConnell, Niall Fleming, Diarmuid Hartley; Jamie Flynn, Paul Mescal, Jamie Connolly; Luke Flynn, Paschal Connell; Ryan Houlihan, Neil Flynn, Tommy Cribben; Chris Healy,Mark Sherry, Wayne Fitzpatrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

What's the view of this Kildare minor team? Both teams obviously won well in their first matches (Wexford and Offaly, If I'm not mistaken.) Recently there has been a great underage rivalry between the two teams, but Kildare haven't won Leinster at this grade since 1991. Will this be the Kildare team to buck that trend?

It's a good team. Like a lot of the recent Kildare minor teams it's strength is in the forwards which is a refreshing change from the stereotypical view of Kildare teams. I'm not sure whether it is as strong as last year's team which had three players who are now starting for the seniors on it so the result might depend on whether this Dublin team is as strong as their predecessors from 2011 and 2012 who were exceptional. Dublin won the Leinster League final between them with a late goal but Kildare had a weakened team out that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Giving Dublin a bit of a hammering in the minors apparently.

Full time Kildare 3-13 Dublin 2-6

Not a vintage Dublin team but who cares. The manner in which Kildare put them to the sword was impressive. Some pride restored in the jersey and more hope for the future. A minor title to go with the u21 and junior titles would do very nicely.

Westmeath in the final which won't be easy either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

well done to the young kildare players today. it goes to show that we do have good football in the county.

The Kildare u21 hurlers qualified for the Leinster u21 'A' Final after beating Meath by 3-15 to 0-13. A lot of these lads only narrowly missed out on an All Ireland title last year. Consecutive Leinster titles would be very positive for hurling in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭redarmy

Kieran McGeeney has named his starting 15 for Saturday's All Ireland Football Qualifier against Louth in St Conleths Park at 7pm.

Padraig O'Neill returns from injury and reclaims the No 9 Jersey

The side lines as follows

1. Shane Connolly

2. David Hyland

3. Michael Foley

4. Hugh McGrillen

5. Eamonn Callaghan (Capt.)

6. Peter Kelly

7. Emmet Bolton

8. Daryl Flynn

9. Padraig O’Neill

10. Paul Cribbin

11. Niall Kelly

12. Eoghan O’Flaherty

13. John Doyle

14. Daniel Flynn

15. Paddy Brophy

Dummy team?

Hard to know with McGeeney.

I'd be surprised if that is how they line out, he surely won't try Flynn in at ff again. No complaints about O'Neill starting but against a strong mobile Louth midfield he will struggle, he is better suited to the half forward line.

It's a pity Smith is injured. Would have liked to have seen him and Brophy inside with Johnny playing off them. We should get away with a midfield pairing of Flynn and O'Neill on a tight pitch like Newbridge but you could see them getting taken on a tour of a bigger field like Thurles or Croke Park.

I think we'll win but I wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised if Louth turned us over. We never make it easy against Louth and they were the last team to beat us in the qualifiers in 2007.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I'd be surprised if that is how they line out, he surely won't try Flynn in at ff again. No complaints about O'Neill starting but against a strong mobile Louth midfield he will struggle, he is better suited to the half forward line.

Our Midfield ( Louth ) hasnt been great this year but I think the move to partner Brian White and Paddy Keenan togother ala 2010 might see us over the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

I reckon a big turn out, hot conditions and a lot at stake is going to make for a great game

Kildare Minor Team to Face Westmeath in Leinster Final
    Byran Murphy has named his starting 15 for Sundays Leinster Minor Final in Croke Park at 12 noon aginst Westmeath.

It's Kildare's first appearance in the showpiece since 2009, when they lost to Dublin after a replay. Their last title at the grade came in 1991, when they defeated the capital side. Westmeath's wait for a final appearance goes back to 2000, when they won their fifth Leinster minor title with victory over Dublin.

Kildare have had impressive wins over Kilkenny, Offaly and Dublin to reach Sundays Decider.

Kildare Minor Team to face Westmeath on Sunday is as follows:

1 Sean Dempsey Sarsfields
    2 Cian McConnell Sarsfields
    3 Niall Fleming Round Towers
    4 Jamie Connolly Moorefield
    5 Jamie Flynn Round Towers
    6 Paul Mescal Maynooth
    7 Ryan Houlihan Moorefield
    8 Paschal Connell Athy
    9 Luke Flynn Balyna
    10 Neil Flynn Maynooth
    11 Mark Sherry Two Mile House
    12 Tommy Cribbin Clane
    13 Wayne Fitzpatrick Monasterevin
    14 Cein McMonagle Balyna
    15 Chris Healy Two Mile House
    16 Richard Dromgoole Maguire Two Mile House
    17 Rory McDermott Naas
    18 Mark Byrne Round Towers
    19 Michael Kelly Athy
    20 Aaron McConville Round Towers
    21 Brian Byrne Naas
    22 Conor Davin Maynooth
    23 Ben McCormack Sarsfields
    24 Darren Maguire Maynooth

Additional Squad Members

Alan Scully Sarsfields
    Mathew Kelly Round Towers
    John Joe Mahon Castledermot
    Eoghan Bateman Naas
    Craig Shannon Rathangan
    Daniel Pyke Balyna
    Jack Briody Rathangan
    Adam Burke Two Mile House
    Eoin Cummins Eadestown
    Diarmuid Hartley Sarsfields

22 years is a long wait for a Leinster title. Hopefully these lads do the business on Sunday. A minor title to go with the u21 and junior titles would be a good achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

hi guys.

i have two tickets for terrace for the game against louth tomorrow night. pm me and they are yours. i can leave them in newbridge/naas area. im not looking for anything for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Best of luck to the boys today. It will be a tight game IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

super commentary on KFM ,sounds like a cracker Kildare 0-17 Louth 0-15, 6 minutes left

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

qwerty93 wrote: »
    super commentary on KFM ,sounds like a cracker Kildare 0-17 Louth 0-15, 6 minutes left

are ya mad........................ sounds like an inter breeding popcorn fest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Kildare are probably in the top 6 teams in the country they say. That there performance was all Ireland champions stuff!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Neeson wrote: »
    Kildare are probably in the top 6 teams in the country they say. That there performance was all Ireland champions stuff!

46c.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

It was a joke!

Advertisement