Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that i'm not buying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Interesting auction company

http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/about_yvette.htm
    ......Yvette VanDerBrink, Owner/Auctioneer, formed the company in 2001, after a prophetic message from Minister Tom Stammon. VanDerBrink Auctions is a faith-based company and this makes every auction a mission :eek:

....Working hard was natural while growing up on the family's dairy farm in South Dakota and in the family business Nordstrom's Auto Recyclers of Garretson, SD. It's this work ethic that she brings to the table for her sellers. Yvette gets in there, puts on the gloves and enjoys getting dirty making sure all the details are perfect for her sellers. Yvette and her husband, Steve, and two kids Emily and Johnathon also collect and own several old cars, trucks, and many tractors. The VanDerBrinks also have cattle and cut hay on their farm in rural Hardwick, MN. Yvette and VanDerBrink Auctions look forward to working with you!

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." ~Galatians 6:9 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

ba_barabus wrote: »

thats cracking isn't it ? big money though in fairness

RobAMerc wrote: »
    thats cracking isn't it ? big money though in fairness
    It's a cracking car.

Just think, you could relive your youth in the morning by waking up to the fizz of corroding bodywork, water traps that defy belief, electrics with a mind of their own, a car that WILL START when IT wants to, a reverse gear that has a British Leyland employees attitude to work, build quality that would make you think robots are worse than people at building them and all that would be let down by actually being a cracking car to drive that day it all decided to work when you test drove it at the dealership.

ALL THAT FOR A BARGAIN PRICE OF €13K. If I just won the euromillions I know what I'd be driving to collect the cheque :D

I even forgot the fact they were know for exploding and going on fire without notice. How exciting!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

My god, you could drive a 48A through the panel gaps on the front bumper of that.

My god, you could drive a 48A through the panel gaps on the front bumper of that.

I believe they were the inspiration for the panel gaps visible from space on the front bumper of the Rover 75 facelift in 2004.

It's a cracking car.

Just think, you could relive your youth in the morning by waking up to the fizz of corroding bodywork, water traps that defy belief, electrics with a mind of their own, a car that WILL START when IT wants to, a reverse gear that has a British Leyland employees attitude to work, build quality that would make you think robots are worse than people at building them and all that would be let down by actually being a cracking car to drive that day it all decided to work when you test drove it at the dealership.

ALL THAT FOR A BARGAIN PRICE OF €13K. If I just won the euromillions I know what I'd be driving to collect the cheque :D

I even forgot the fact they were know for exploding and going on fire without notice. How exciting!!!

They had their moments to be honest. 105tc and 130tc. Later s85 was a decent mover too.

As for the rust, sure, but so did every datsun, toyota and a lot of other cars from the early '80s as well.

They had their moments to be honest. 105tc and 130tc. Later s85 was a decent mover too.

As for the rust, sure, but so did every datsun, toyota and a lot of other cars from the early '80s as well.

That's all tongue firmly in cheek. I'd love one but the only memories I have of them consist of rust, constantly broken gearboxes and terrible build quality. They were supposed to be great to drive like every Fiat at the time.

I believe they were the inspiration for the panel gaps visible from space on the front bumper of the Rover 75 facelift in 2004.

Was that a panel gap? I thought it was just owners leaving the bonnet open to make it easier to fit the next head gasket....:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

That's all tongue firmly in cheek. I'd love one but the only memories I have of them consist of rust, constantly broken gearboxes and terrible build quality. They were supposed to be great to drive like every Fiat at the time.
    I'm a Fiat man and wouldn't have one. No redeeming qualities other than the engine. Me and my mates bought one off the tinkers when we were young teenagers foar an auld rally. We could hear a scraping noise underneath, and on investigating we found the floor was collapsing and hitting the ground. We had to stop driving it when the sparks coming inside the car got too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

why does everyone feel obliged to trot out the same auld shyte about Fiats every time one is mentioned on any boards thread, yet someone putting up a pic of a POS Datsun 120y has fellas sliding their hands down their pants.

FFS the Fiat would at least be a decent drive, and lets not forget it was the first car "built by robots" a massive innovation in its day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

why does everyone feel obliged to trot out the same auld shyte about Fiats every time one is mentioned on any boards thread, yet someone putting up a pic of a POS Datsun 120y has fellas sliding their hands down their pants.

FFS the Fiat would at least be a decent drive, and lets not forget it was the first car "built by robots" a massive innovation in its day.

There wasn't many 120y s thrashed around mondello either, unlike the unburstable Fiat, in 3p Ritmo and uno guises .

I wouldn't have one of those crappy leaf sprung Datsuns either! :pac:
    In all seriousness I have a 3P myself and have had many Fiats. The Ritmo wasn't one of Fiats finest moments. I certainly wouldn't be paying anywhere close to the asking on the example posted.

Just in case any eagle eyed posters spotted the contradiction I just made, yeah I know the 3P is leaf sprung too!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

pablo128 wrote: »
    Me and my mates bought one off the ****ers when we were young teenagers foar an auld rally..
    Yeah, but yez can't be saying that these days - especially the foar auld wurd ting....

Not your ornery onager

I was more joking than being serious. I drive an Alfa after all.,...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

I was more joking than being serious. I drive an Alfa after all.,...

I do also drive an alfa, I was just taking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/fiat-ritmo-105tc-rally-car/7600894
    this is why that ritmo is worth over ten grand

it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Jasus hammond lane wouldn't give you a fiver for it

• Advertisement

Capri wrote: »
    Yeah, if you buy a new car. On an 8 or 9 year old car, the price difference is drastically reduced. And then there's the resale value too to think about.

Yeah, if you buy a new car. On an 8 or 9 year old car, the price difference is drastically reduced. And then there's the resale value too to think about.

But the pumps / injectors / DPF's STILL cost compared with petrol parts :rolleyes:

Capri wrote: »
    But the pumps / injectors / DPF's STILL cost compared with petrol parts :rolleyes:
    Don't buy a car with a dpf then. Toyota don't have them for example. Granted diesel cars have a pump and injectors, but a lot of petrols nowadays have dual mass flywheels, turbo's etc.
    Maintenance is everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

implication is on a new car, but they dont mention brand or class in either the diesel or petrol version, the only thing I read from that article is "do your OWN maths".

It still holds true to some extent on a second hand car,

example, 08 corolla, heres 2 frrm the first page of done deal, same colour/mileage/spec, even the engine size is the same,

petrol 7950

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-1-4-terra-spotless-car-f/6982748

daysul 10450
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-1-4-d4d-luna-sal/7743759

you would still have to do a lot of driving to make a saving on fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    It still holds true to some extent on a second hand car,

example, 08 corolla, heres 2 frrm the first page of done deal, same colour/mileage/spec, even the engine size is the same,

petrol 7950

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-1-4-terra-spotless-car-f/6982748

daysul 10450
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-1-4-d4d-luna-sal/7743759

you would still have to do a lot of driving to make a saving on fuel

And to think that in 2038 they'll be eligible for 'vintage' tax as well, yet another saving...

Interesting point, I havent seen many corollas at the vintage rallies tho, what makes you think this batch will survive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Interesting point, I havent seen many corollas at the vintage rallies tho, what makes you think this batch will survive

I don't, I was wondering why a posting about cars from 2008 was appearing in the 'classic' car section, or is everything a 'classic' these days.

Its an observation in response to another post which is itself a reply to a post about the false economy of diesels, real down the rabbit hole stuff.

that said the original article should be filed away for use the next time some muppet suggests putting a diesel conversion in a classic to save a few bob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭type85

that said the original article should be filed away for use the next time some muppet suggests putting a diesel conversion in a classic to save a few bob

Well folks doing the Math if you say an average Petrol car returns 30 mpg and Diesel 45 mpg, with fuel prices of 1.55 and 1.45 respectively, then the savings per mile is
    9 to 10 cent. That’s works out with a person doing 20,000 miles a year saving between 1800 and 2000 euro per year.
    Regardless of what year of vehicle you drive, if you can afford to pass over that kind of saving I think your being over paid with more money than sense. And with something more economical doing late 50’s or early 60’s the offset or savings will be even more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement