Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classic wooden speedboat build , sink, search for, recovery and rebuild.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

Any update fergal?
    I check this thread every day (sometimes several times a day) in the hope that the text will be highlighted indicating some, hopefully positive, news on the crackerbox.
    Are you still searching for her? What's the condition likely to be if (when) found after so long? What did the insurance Co. say?
    So many questions, probably too many for a public forum, but I feel a lot of us here are waiting with baited breath!
    You are held in such high esteem among us forumites, that I'm surprised our combined good will hasn't already raised her to the surface!
    Mark.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi Mark thanks for your concern, still no luck finding her :( we have found 4 boats so far with the help of the Athlone sub-aqua club but none of them the right one. My main concern after this amount of time would be zebra mussels getting getting into every nook and cranny and setting up home :eek:
    The insurance singed off on her minus the value of the trailer and giving me the right to her if she is found and I would pay for the salvage.
    The two sonar boats are away on other business at the moment so hopefully when they get back they will have another look, with the young on summer holidays I'm stuck at home now so not much I can do from here :( I have posted on the angling forums asking them to keep an eye out and next I hope to get in touch with the swans and ducks of Ireland to see if I can get them onboard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 yobbo

Hi Fergal,

Just a quick note as I am a long time reader but seldom poster. I have followed you work with great interest and have always had a slight awe and amazement about your work. It is something I have always dreamt of doing when I have more time on my hands, but could never imagine getting anything near the results that you have achieved. After following this thread I was once driving on the M6 and was delighted to see the finished article on the back of a trailer!

Since I read about the incident with Old's cool I have also been checking in here daily for some news. As with all your projects the search for old's cools is fascinating to follow on this thread. I will continue checking to, hopefully, see that some day you have found her in Lough Ree and see work being done on her again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

fergal.b wrote: »
    Hi Mark thanks for your concern, still no luck finding her :( we have found 4 boats so far with the help of the Athlone sub-aqua club but none of them the right one. My main concern after this amount of time would be zebra mussels getting getting into every nook and cranny and setting up home :eek:

Zebra mussel growth would probably be slow in that depth of water Fergal. It will be cold down there and without much of a close resident population (which there wouldn't be if the bottom is silt there) there wont be many of the free swimming veliger stage to settle. The first year shelled stage are very small and the shells very soft and if you do recover her a good drying would take care of them. They don't tend to become a problem until after their second growth cycle. In short I would not expect too much of an issue until you are out beyond the summer. If you do recover a good power wash, drain and dry and it should be fine.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

A little write up in the IWN by Giles of the Hawthron barge.

20150901_170302_zpswbdfvui9.jpg

20150901_170328_zpsrvvecbwf.jpg

Some of you might also be interested in his book.
    Reedbound. Written by Giles Byford with Illustrations by Jill Parkinson. Life afloat suits some people, and with a business that's made living and working all over the English waterways possible, it suits Giles and Jill so well they feel blessed. Everything, from the odd ciscumstance of finding their first narrowboat to rejecting academia, seems to bring rewards: so they are not surprised that the same strange magic appears to be working it's charm when they set about building Hawthorn, the barge they intend to spend the rest of their lives exploring Europe on. The future's promising and wonderful. And then, quite suddenly, everything falls apart. Reedbound is largely about what follows. How the terrifying violence of crossing the Irish Sea becomes an act of faith that contrasts with a gentle westward wandering along an empty cana to the River Shannon. And how, over the year they spend exploring the irish waterways, a philosophy of trusting all will be well and refusing to research beyond the barest minimum delivers adventure, unexpected spaces and other misfits. Ultimately Reedbound is a celebration of how the redemptive power of Ireland's landscape and culture re-establishes the couple's faith that they're looked after on the water.

Reedbound%20800.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

Read the entire thread. It was as engaging as a novel or movie. But oh boy I was not prepared for that ending. More shocking than your one having that extra appendage in the Crying Game!

Glad you are ok Fergal but oh man what a loss. Best wishes with the ongoing search and recovery.

Thanks Wildwater glad you liked it so far but be prepared for an alternative ending as I'm not happy with that one :)

Two more boats found this week making 6 in all, it's looking like Lough Ree has it's own little Bermuda triangle :( It is turning out to be a bit of a roller coaster ride finding a boat getting your hopes up only to find out it's not her :confused: nevertheless the hunt will go on.

12011167_10203338434259948_8583636194870322197_n_zpsdofmofmk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How long before its unsalvageable do you think?

Thargor wrote: »
    How long before its unsalvageable do you think?

Never :D even if I can just get the hardware back I can rebuild her, if she is down deep with little oxygen she will be fine for a long time, if she is in shallow water near rocks with movement in the water she wont last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

What a cool pic!
    I don't know you Fergal, but this picture sums up how I think of you exactly.

Sort of like, The artist pleased with his work or,
    bugger, I missed a spot there!
    Or possibly,"I really need a pee, so I'll just lean up against this old yoke until it passes"!

Either way, you are one of a kind.

Thanks Wildwater glad you liked it so far but be prepared for an alternative ending as I'm not happy with that one :)

Two more boats found this week making 6 in all, it's looking like Lough Ree has it's own little Bermuda triangle :( It is turning out to be a bit of a roller coaster ride finding a bo a at getting your hopes up only to find out it's not her :confused: nevertheless the hunt will go on.

12011167_10203338434259948_8583636194870322197_n_zpsdofmofmk.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

Two more boats found this week making 6 in all, it's looking like Lough Ree has it's own little Bermuda triangle :( It is turning out to be a bit of a roller coaster ride finding a boat getting your hopes up only to find out it's not her :confused: nevertheless the hunt will go on.

Slightly off-topic, but what happens with the boats you do find, fergal.b?

biketard wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic, but what happens with the boats you do find, fergal.b?

Unless they are a danger to traffic they are just left there, we let the Athlone sub-aqua team know and they might use them for diving practice. Over the years if a boat got past it's sell by date it was just towed out and holed so I wouldn't say it would be worth anyones while paying a salvage team to raise them.

Thanks Hifive all of the above and a few more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I was on Ree on Sunday and registered depths to 80 feet not too far out from coosan. I would say there are a few scuttlers down there alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

If you do find her whats your plan for getting it back ashore or to float? not sure if the link below is worth a read but 100 year old sail boat sank off Howth a number of years ago and a bit of persistence and luck they managed to find it and recover it.

http://hyc.lucidity.us/news/6-rosemary-raised-following-championships-sinking

neris wrote: »
    If you do find her whats your plan for getting it back ashore or to float? not sure if the link below is worth a read but 100 year old sail boat sank off Howth a number of years ago and a bit of persistence and luck they managed to find it and recover it.

http://hyc.lucidity.us/news/6-rosemary-raised-following-championships-sinking

If she is down 20 foot or less I will have a go myself with floatation bags "tractor tyres" :) compressor and generator, if she is deeper I will use the salvage team in Lakeside marina.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Every time I see that there's been a post to this thread I really get my hopes up only to be sadly disappointed.

That work of art must be found!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭thereitisgone

And im the same, everytime i come into sailing and boating, first thing i check is this chat hoping there is a new post, and that the boat has been found.

I wish I had some good news to post :( so far 9 boats have been found in the area I'm now beginning to think that with the 3 spare automatic lifejackets shooed down one side and whatever air was trapped in the bow and stern she may have bobbed around below the surface till the jackets deflated.

iwnwinter1_zpse1enhhfl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Aahhhh :(

Tenner to Saint Anthony?

Another boat found by Pat McManus on Tuesday this is his blog well worth a read http://www.reelaxfishing.blogspot.ie/

This looks promising as you can just about see the shadow of the bow meaning that it has not been there long and settled down into the silt also there is a bright spot that could be the engine block but we will have to wait a week or two till the divers can have a look, fingers crossed :)

blogger-image--1701259859_zpsgizvkmjt.jpg

44e7a0ac-ad20-4c43-9b0d-9438d00e1b12_zpstagrkntn.jpg

• Advertisement

Bad news again it wasn't her so the search goes on :(
    A guy on the Glen-l site posted this :)

Reading Fegal's last post about the 'community' of boat-builders and thinking of his quest to find his lost vessel...
    I just started writing. It didn't take long.
    Truth is..., I don't even like poetry.
    I'll post it before I loose my nerve.

Sacred are the Boatmen
    Plans and books are studied
    Families hope and pray
    Sacred are the boatmen
    Whose boat will sail one day

Lumber stacked accordingly
    Tools are strewn about
    Sacred are the boatmen
    Whose skills are not in doubt

Curls of wood lie scattered
    The hand-plane shapes the chine
    Sacred are the boatmen
    The fairest hull’s sublime

Glassing, sanding, flip it
    The engine now installed
    Sacred are the boatmen
    The neighbors are enthralled

Upholstery on the seating
    Chrome is on the deck
    Sacred are the boatmen
    A thousand things to check

Backing up the trailer
    Triple check the bung
    Sacred are the boatmen
    Victory cries are sung

Slow at first but speed picks up
    She cuts first left then right
    Sacred are the boatmen
    Who will not sleep tonight

The years they pass, the vessel is mastered
    His hull is proven strong
    Sacred are the boatmen
    For something shall go wrong

Like a dream it happens suddenly
    The water rushes in
    Sacred are the boatmen
    Who are only left to swim

They wonder how it happened
    The search lasts many days
    Sacred are the boatmen
    Whose pride lies ‘neath the waves

Eventually it occurs to all
    The boat was just a toy
    Sacred are the boatmen
    Twas building gave them joy
    Andy Garrett

Big thanks again to the Athlone sub-aqua club for all their help.

12249666_10208076902791249_4759715970898660207_n_zpsocxftocn.jpg

New bit of kit for this years search, I got the Garmin echomap chirp 75sv https://buy.garmin.com/en-IE/GB/prod529888.html and a GT50 transducer for down scan and side scan chirp sonar, it's also capable of panoptix live forward sonar but the transducer for that ain't cheep.:eek: Also getting a new hood made for the Glastron
    by Giles http://www.bargehawthorn.info/ so I can go out in sun or rain "will post a photo when it's done.

addtext_com_MDkxMDIxMTQyNjk3_zpsyzdukcxb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Looks a nice bit of kit. I hope that works for you Fergal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Every time I see this thread reappear I hope it's because you've found the damn boat :(

Best of luck in 2016 Fergal.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Every time I see this thread reappear I hope it's because you've found the damn boat :(

Best of luck in 2016 Fergal.

One day it will be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 stevemul

You could always ask these people to help Fergal, they may be kicking their heels at the moment after their last job!
    http://youtu.be/ZpOug8xsxa0

They would have to charge me mates rates to make it worth my while and as long as they don't cut her up :D

I have been going over the sonar images again and again and have a few more possible hits but I can't get away till the end of February to check them out. :(

This one could be a stern view.

1fdb51d0-3376-4c39-89f6-ed99fefce2aa_zpswfjsczlj.jpg

And this sort of has the outline of her.

d8f6acbd-c4b3-4499-bfa0-7e3f80a00c01_zpshhrztqit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Something that might allow you check at least some of the hits quickly would be to use a WiFi GoPro ( GopPro 3 Silver or higher) on a painters pole for about 5 metres or on a weighted line for greater depths. It's possible to get a live view over Wifi on a smartphone or tablet by using the right kind of antenna cable taped to the front of the camera housing and to the phone at the other end.
    You won't have great viz with all the peat in that lake but no doubt you'd recognise any bit at all if you got a camera any where near it.

Just a thought as it would be a way for you to check out some hits as soon as you find them without having to enlist and wait for the obliging Athlone divers. Happy to help with more tech details if required.

Daibheid wrote: »
    Something that might allow you check at least some of the hits quickly would be to use a WiFi GoPro ( GopPro 3 Silver or higher) on a painters pole for about 5 metres or on a weighted line for greater depths. It's possible to get a live view over Wifi on a smartphone or tablet by using the right kind of antenna cable taped to the front of the camera housing and to the phone at the other end.
    You won't have great viz with all the peat in that lake but no doubt you'd recognise any bit at all if you got a camera any where near it.

Just a thought as it would be a way for you to check out some hits as soon as you find them without having to enlist and wait for the obliging Athlone divers. Happy to help with more tech details if required.

I have the boat set up with an underwater camera with lights and a TV :D

11836871_10203207274301031_1884041045761865104_n.jpg?oh=4a2a22cdbd2ab8e216c6c9d7507f7129&oe=572EE796

• Advertisement

Well my transducer still hasn't arrived so I didn't do any searching over the weekend I did however have a very helpful meeting with the guy's from the Athlone sub-aqua club and with their help and immense knowledge of the lake we were able to work out a rough idea of where she might have gone down so that will be my search area for this year. :)

20160226_201213_zpseqau0xkb.jpg

Advertisement