Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Former Sinn Féin Councillor - "no difference between IRA and Sinn Féin"

• 02-05-2015 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Killian Forde, a former Councillor with Sinn Féin who left the party in late 2009, has left a lengthy message on social media explaining why he left, what his views are of Sinn Féin, and that he has "no wish to return to Ireland" from Sierra Leone.

He said

"I left Sinn Fein as I slowly realised they lost the war but were fooling themselves they had won. It made me cringe. They lost - thats [sic] fine they were up against a powerful enemy and they proved themselves resiltent [sic] and courageous. Just a note I see no difference between the IRA and Sinn Fein - from my ten years in Sinn Fein as far as I could tell it was the same organisation."

I wonder how many people will claim that Forde is wrong about Sinn Féin and the IRA being the same organisation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joe912

Killian Forde, a former Councillor with Sinn Féin who left the party in late 2009, has left a lengthy message on social media explaining why he left, what his views are of Sinn Féin, and that he has "no wish to return to Ireland" from Sierra Leone.

He said

"I left Sinn Fein as I slowly realised they lost the war but were fooling themselves they had won. It made me cringe. They lost - thats [sic] fine they were up against a powerful enemy and they proved themselves resiltent [sic] and courageous. Just a note I see no difference between the IRA and Sinn Fein - from my ten years in Sinn Fein as far as I could tell it was the same organisation."

I wonder how many people will claim that Forde is wrong about Sinn Féin and the IRA being the same organisation.

This makes no sense is he saying that all members of sinn vein were in the ira or that all members of the ira are in sinn fein. How is this supposed to be worth reporting. A nothing story, from a nobody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

He said

Was he a sniper? In any way, is he handing himself over to the authorities? Just curious, if in his eyes they are the same thing.

He initially said:
    "Forde believes that he would have been a “complete fool to stay and watch the organisation destroy itself”. He considers that “Sinn Féin isn’t finished but they need to reform internally."

http://www.villagemagazine.ie/index.php/2010/04/dumping-sf-for-labourinterview-killian-forde/

He was elected as a Sinn Fein councillor, joined Labour, but kept the seat and then stepped down.

He strikes me as someone unsure as to their political allegiances, which is fine, just don't go joining parties willy nilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Sand

joe912 wrote: »
    This makes no sense is he saying that all members of sinn vein were in the ira or that all members of the ira are in sinn fein. How is this supposed to be worth reporting. A nothing story, from a nobody.

Different sub groupings under the same overall organisation and leadership with significant crossover in membership, especially at the higher levels. Being a member of the IRA doesn't preclude someone from leading SF. Indeed, some might say its been a prerequisite.

Just not sure why people get so worked up about it - everyone knows. But despite selling IRA merchandise in their gift shop they remain in denial.

Poor old Killian Forde will be subject to the Two Minutes of Hate now. Wouldn't be surprised if SF suddenly determine he was a drug dealer, a secret British spy and an enemy of the peace process.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

joe912 wrote: »

The shinnerbot reply didn't take long to come out,wait for the smear campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Is anyone really surprised.

I'm even less surprised by the shinner response. Attack attack. Sure the dear leader wasn't even in the ira

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

on p.ie http://www.politics.ie/forum/labour/145467-killian-forde-rejected-labour-members-4.html#post9151454

and the Sun claimed its an exclusive! ha http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/news/irishpolitics/6439887/Former-Sinn-Fein-councillor-blasts-politics.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Two different organisations but heavily linked, much more so than SF would let on. Two sides of the same coin would be a fair comment to make.

I never really liked Killian Forde to be honest, he was very sharp in many respects but a bit of an egotist. Likewise when he left Sinn Fein he declared it a "crap party" (much of his criticism was spot on) only to jump into Labour while declaring them the proper party of the working class. We all saw how that worked out in the end.

Anytime I met him he was alright but he was definitely all over the place when it came to politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Thomas_.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Two different organisations but heavily linked, much more so than SF would let on. Two sides of the same coin would be a fair comment to make.

I never really liked Killian Forde to be honest, he was very sharp in many respects but a bit of an egotist. Likewise when he left Sinn Fein he declared it a "crap party" (much of his criticism was spot on) only to jump into Labour while declaring them the proper party of the working class. We all saw how that worked out in the end.

Anytime I met him he was alright but he was definitely all over the place when it came to politics.

IMO, the IRA was as much the military arm of SF as SF was the political arm of the IRA. That´s how I see them heavily linked. One can´t separate one from another. It´s just that I don´t know how many "former" IRA men held SF membership at the same time. Well, I know at least of one who admitted to has been in the IRA and is since a couple of years the Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland. The other one, who still is in denial about his "former IRA membership" is the President of SF and that since more than 30 years.

Thomas_. wrote: »
    IMO, the IRA was as much the military arm of SF as SF was the political arm of the IRA. That´s how I see them heavily linked. One can´t separate one from another. It´s just that I don´t know how many "former" IRA men held SF membership at the same time. Well, I know at least of one who admitted to has been in the IRA and is since a couple of years the Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland. The other one, who still is in denial about his "former IRA membership" is the President of SF and that since more than 30 years.

I agree. And it is pretty much a non-story as I grew up on the understanding that Sinn Fein was the political wing of the IRA. I don't think anyone can deny that bond and keep a straight face.
    I suppose it coming from the new much heralded Sinn Fein academic Hipster type floating about these days was the 'story' but not any news content...unless it's the 1970's again, is it the 1970's again? I quite like the music from that period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

For Reals wrote: »
    I suppose it coming from the new much heralded Sinn Fein academic Hipster type floating about these days was the 'story' but not any news content...unless it's the 1970's again

That sentence didn't even begin to make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Is anyone really surprised.

I'm even less surprised by the shinner response. Attack attack. Sure the dear leader wasn't even in the ira

makes fek all diference either way ;)

That sentence didn't even begin to make sense.

The only thing worth publishing about it was it was coming from a former bright hope and he from the new 'class' of Sinn Fein supporter Sinn Fein wanted as poster boys and girls, (partly why Forde left). Selling themselves as upper/middle class when the base of their support is working class.
    Paraphrasing an article quoting Forde saying as much.

I thought it was clear ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

It's gas the way he (rightly) bemoans SF parachuting in middle class media-friendly types over long-standing activists but then turns around and says he hated dealing with constituents and single mothers etc. His evident snobbery is all too clear despite his banging on about the importance of working-class activists. As I said above, Killian was always an egotistical sort who was more concerned with advancing himself than he was with trying to participate in political change, and in fairness, he largely admits that above.

Advertisement