Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for a tandem pilot.

• 20-04-2015 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I am looking for a pilot for a Tandem. For those of you who have no experience with tandems, the pilot is the person on the front that steers.

My average distance is 20KM and my maximum is 65KM. However, I would be happy with any distance at the moment and I’d love to double my maximum.

More details on my tandem can be found here: http://www.dolan-bikes.com/tandem/bikes/dolan-tandem-road-bike.html we upgraded to ultegragroup set and a 11/28 cassette rather than 11/25 because the 28 is easier on hills.

Pictures are also attached to this post.

A tandem is great for flats and descents. At the start ascents can be a bit of a challenge but once the pilot on the front and the stoker on the back get a good rhythm hills aren’t all that difficult. A tandem only works well when both people are peddling at a consistent rate together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Location? Target/objective?
    Is it easier if both stoker and pilot are similar weight/size? If so, what mass are you (if that's not too personal?)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hey Darragh, as a shorter term thing if you're interested in doing some of the Cycle Against Suicide I'll be doing it on a solo bike, no problem jumping on the front of the tandem for a few days. I'm not doing the whole thing but there were quite a few tandems on it last year so my guess is that there'll be quite a few folks available to pilot for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭digitaldarragh

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Location? Target/objective?
    Is it easier if both stoker and pilot are similar weight/size? If so, what mass are you (if that's not too personal?)

I'm 5 6 tall. Not sure what my mass is.

I have been very active until recently. I've done a lot of Judo and about 400KM cycling last year. However, I need to build my fitness back up and get rid of some weight.

Thanks to the years of Judo, I have great lower body strength which is great as a stoker on a tandem.

Trojan wrote: »
    Hey Darragh, as a shorter term thing if you're interested in doing some of the Cycle Against Suicide I'll be doing it on a solo bike, no problem jumping on the front of the tandem for a few days. I'm not doing the whole thing but there were quite a few tandems on it last year so my guess is that there'll be quite a few folks available to pilot for you.

Thanks a million for the offer! What days are you planning to do?

Trojan wrote: »

Thanks a million. I'm very interested. What days are you thinking of doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Sound. I'll PM you and we can take it from there.

You should still look for a longer term pilot on here, I'm not based on the east coast (I think you're Drogheda & Dublin, right?).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I live in Drogheda and have a bit of tandem experience.
    I'd be interested in piloting you.
    I'm not sure the bike would fit me. I'm 6'1"(185cms) tall. My road bike has a 58cm frame.
    I'm retired, so week days would suit me.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I live in Drogheda and have a bit of tandem experience.
    I'd be interested in piloting you.
    I'm not sure the bike would fit me. I'm 6'1"(185cms) tall. My road bike has a 58cm frame.
    I'm retired, so week days would suit me.

If your interested in giving it a shot I'm more than happy to go along with that.

I work from home quite a lot so if during the day suits you more I can probably work around that.I'll PM you.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Ging and I

I have been riding tandems for a long time so I would make a suggestion regarding your bike - get a hub or disk brake fitted.
    Tandems can struggle up hills but make up the difference on the way down.
    You will do a lot of wobbling when you start with a new partner but by the end of the day you will be in synch.
    There is a bike shop in Skerries (no idea of name) but Declan is very familiar with tandems and has ridden them if you need any advice.

Advertisement