Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BSc in Computing - NCI (Part-time)

Options
  • 26-02-2010 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Hi,

I have applied for this course in the NCI in the IFSC - http://www.ncirl.ie/Programmes_Courses/Part-time-Courses/BSc-in-Computing-Evening-BSHCENC1

It's a 4 year higher degree, part-time evenings and Saturday mornings. I'll be going to this after work.

I was looking for evening courses recently and the only two degrees I could find in the city were this one and IS in TCD, which didn't really appeal to me that much. This course looks more techy that IS does.

Has anyone done this course? Is it worthwhile? It looks great but wouldn't mind a bit of feedback from anyone who has done it before. Did you study while working? I think it'll be tough enough but I'm really looking forward to it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Bolt82

I didnt do this exact course but i did a 4 year BSc (hons) in software systems - full time and went on to do a part time course in a Post grad in E-Learning.

So i have expierance in the college both full time and part time. The college itself i thought was great. Great facilities, great location and great lecturers. For when i was doing the part time course it was Tuesdays and Thursdays evenings. The college and lecturers were very helpful in terms of the amount of work that was expected since i was working at the time.

Looking at your subjects for year one.

Intro to Maths for Computing - If you done your leaving cert this will be simple. I done honors in my leaving and this was very simple. I know alot that done ordinary level maths and found this course simple too.

Multimedia - This course is mostly common sense.When you look at a program or website its to do with the layout and how to make the most of it.

I could go on but not sure if this is what you are looking for. If you are let me know and il help you out with what i can. PM me if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

Thanks for the reply Bolt. First year looks simple enough. I've also covered XHTML and Web Design separately so I think I'll ask for an exemption from that. Year 2 looks a lot more interesting and is probably when it starts to get a good bit more technical (which is what I'm looking for). No real questions just wondering what people's general view of the college and contents were.

How did you find working while doing the course part-time? You say they were helpful in terms of the amount of work expected. Could you elaborate on this a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Bolt82

Well obviously since they dont get to spend too much time with you in class they expect a good bit of work to be done at home. But they do understand that you work and also have other classes to do work for.

You will get programs, etc to write. But not all the time. Alot of my classes once you got the work done in class you had nothing to do after. Obviously some study is required to pass the classes. But if you really want to excell in the exams alot of study out of hours is required. Alot of people didnt do much study out of class when i was there and they passed the course.

When i was doing the course for the first half of the year i live 5 mins from the college and the second half of the year i lived in wexford. I moved due to work. The lecturers understood this and did not expect me to travel up and down twice a week although i did what i could. I kept in touch with the lecturerd via email and the let me know what i was missing so i done alot of work myself at home. Once they see you putting the work in they really go out of their way to help you in that college.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I'm currently doing this course (well it's the BSc in Business Information Systems but both courses are the same for the first 2 years). For people with computing experience (I'm in the industry for 11 years) it's a doddle in first year and very basic. Some people coming in with no IT experience have struggled but as you say you have experience, it should be easy. There is a lot of continuous assessment so exams every couple of weeks but that does mean the end of semester exams are less of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

DIT do a good part-time degree in IS & IT see http://www.comp.dit.ie/dt249/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Hi,

I have applied for this course in the NCI in the IFSC - http://www.ncirl.ie/Programmes_Courses/Part-time-Courses/BSc-in-Computing-Evening-BSHCENC1

It's a 4 year higher degree, part-time evenings and Saturday mornings. I'll be going to this after work.

Thanks

http://www.comp.dit.ie/dt249/

theres almost 1500 quid a year in the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Wow that NCI one is €8,300 per annum - defo do the DIT one it's only €2,455

/edit - sorry read that wrong that price is for non EU its actually €3,780

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

no it isn't unless you are a non eu student studying full time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 lstevo

Hi

I have no work experience with computers but want to change careers.
    Is this part time course a good choice for me?
    Also would I find a job easily after graduating?

Any advice much appreciated

lstevo wrote: »
    Hi

I have no work experience with computers but want to change careers.
    Is this part time course a good choice for me?
    Also would I find a job easily after graduating?

Any advice much appreciated

It really depends on your apptitude to computing. When I started this course in 2009 there were approx. 85 students (in the 3 course that do a lot of the classes together). By the time I completed 4th year, that was down to around 28 students so there is a lot of drop outs. Right now IT is one of the growth industries and there are plenty of jobs out there. If you're willing to put in a lot of time and effort you will get a lot out of it.

• Advertisement

Hi LFCFAN

Thanks for the info.
    Yeah im definitely willing to put in the time and effort.
    Do you mind me asking if it was tough going working full time and studying also?

lstevo wrote: »
    Hi LFCFAN

Thanks for the info.
    Yeah im definitely willing to put in the time and effort.
    Do you mind me asking if it was tough going working full time and studying also?

It's tough and you also have to do Saturdays too. If you're not currently in computing it may be nice to do something different though and it will keep your interest. Just be ready to put in the hours and it'll be worth it.

Ok sound thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm seriously considering signing up for this course this september. What is the workload like? And would a person who struggled at programming on his own, struggle in this course? How many hours per week study would you have to generally put in at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Minatauro

Hi,

Ill be doing this course also this month. At least the Saturdays are only for the 1st semester. I have no IT background just an interest in the area so Ill be starting from scratch.

looking forward to it anyway.

Minatauro wrote: »
    Hi,

Ill be doing this course also this month. At least the Saturdays are only for the 1st semester. I have no IT background just an interest in the area so Ill be starting from scratch.

looking forward to it anyway.

Hi miniatauro,

Where does it say the Saturdays are only for the first semester?

I had to ring to confirm. They also had the time wrong i saw it say we were in until 4.00 on saturdays when in fact it is only until 1.00pm.

On description:
    Schedule
    Our evening course runs on Tuesday and Thursday 18.30 - 22.30 and Saturday 09.00 – 16.00

In Course Brochure:
    Indicative Schedule
    Tuesday and Thursday 18.30 - 22.30 plus every
    second Saturday 09.00 - 13.00 in semester 1
    ......................................................................................................................................
    Duration
    4 years;
    2 semesters per year

Hmm I eventually signed up for the higher cert in computing, which is the same course as the first two years of the degree (with option of going on to do the degrees year 3 and 4). The syllabus says saturday 9-4 for it. Though the classes are the same so I can only assume those hours would apply for that course aswell? I must ring and ask tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Elessar wrote: »
    Hmm I eventually signed up for the higher cert in computing, which is the same course as the first two years of the degree (with option of going on to do the degrees year 3 and 4). The syllabus says saturday 9-4 for it. Though the classes are the same so I can only assume those hours would apply for that course aswell? I must ring and ask tomorrow...

You can see the timetables for every course in the Student Portal under the school of Computing. The part time BSc is the exact same hours as the HC.

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    You can see the timetables for every course in the Student Portal under the school of Computing. The part time BSc is the exact same hours as the HC.

Grand so. I haven't received any login info for the portal, I assume that comes through the post?

• Advertisement

Grand so. I haven't received any login info for the portal, I assume that comes through the post?

Yeah it should do, I'm doing the full time course so I've had mine a while now.

so anybody else here at the orientation this evening?

seems a nice place and a fair few seem to be doing the computing, now all i need are my login details, hopefully get them before Tuesday.

How's everyone finding this so far?

Have to say I like it, only they are really piling on the assignments fast. Can't say I like the PPD module or the Intro to computers just yet as they don't seem focused on anything computer related. Saturdays classes are the most interesting so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

How's everyone finding this so far?

Have to say I like it, only they are really piling on the assignments fast. Can't say I like the PPD module or the Intro to computers just yet as they don't seem focused on anything computer related. Saturdays classes are the most interesting so far.
    Intro to Computers can be skipped. You'll still come out with a first in it.

Yeah, im not mad about the dragons den business side of intro to computers or the ppd either. Waste more time trying to come up with a stupid business idea than actually doing the practical part of it. I had forgotten how dull maths was :D . I am loving the rest of it so far though, I suppose its just a case of keeping on top of the html css and java mainly.

Intro to Computers can be skipped. You'll still come out with a first in it.

You can't really skip all of them though, there's assessments you have to turn in for your grades. All depends on your lecturer and whether they post all the notes on moodle or not.

Same goes for PPD, a lot of it's group work which has to be done in class.

Advertisement