Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here if you need assistance filling out the grant form!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

KMM wrote: »
    Everything (as in additional documents) have to be originals, but they will return them.

I was advised to actually hand in mine, they would stamp the copies they make and hand back the originals there and then.

Thats going to be an absolute nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭KMM

Threein99;It is a nightmare, but once you have all the doc's together that'll be it. Better to be sorted now, rather than send it all off and get a call saying it's wrong or somethings missing. I share your pain though, trust me :)

Applegoat; when I rang to ask about that they said that for the time I was studying to give whatever original paper work you got with results or cert and for when you where unemployed, there is a special form you can download from any VEC that the Social Welfare will have to fill in for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

This is a small thing, but on the on-line application it asks you to list your 'surname at birth'. I was registered under my mother's maiden name, but when they got married my birth cert was changed so I was under my father's surname.

So which do I list? I know it sounds finicky, but I just want to get my application in as early as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

Ok this may seem like a stupid question but I can't find the answer in the grant notes or anywhere else for that matter.

Basically I'm currently living in Waterford city but will be moving to Limerick to begin a degree in UL at the start of August. With this in mind which VEC should I apply to when sending my grant form? It clearly states that you should apply in your home area and not where the college is located but come August Limerick will be my home area. Do they need an address in Limerick before I can apply to the VEC there?

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Ok this may seem like a stupid question but I can't find the answer in the grant notes or anywhere else for that matter.

Basically I'm currently living in Waterford city but will be moving to Limerick to begin a degree in UL at the start of August. With this in mind which VEC should I apply to when sending my grant form? It clearly states that you should apply in your home area and not where the college is located but come August Limerick will be my home area. Do they need an address in Limerick before I can apply to the VEC there?

Thanks in advance.

limerick is where you are going to college.
    waterford is where you are from.

you apply to the vec of where you are from.

so you apply to waterford :)

• Advertisement

limerick is where you are going to college.
    waterford is where you are from.

you apply to the vec of where you are from.

so you apply to waterford :)

Even though I'm not originally from Waterford?

Only been living here a couple of years but lived in Co.Kilkenny for most of my life before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Only been living here a couple of years but lived in Co.Kilkenny for most of my life before that.

yes apply to waterford

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Thanks to all, much appreciated.

thats the key point. if you live somewhere for say 2-3 years, then you are considered local, and thats where you apply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Sparkie93

both my brother and dad are on disability allowance and i put what my dad gets every year and i have my brother as medically unfit to work but i havent put down what he gets every year, do i need to?:confused:
    i applied online and i have submitted my application already

• Advertisement

i dont think your brothers income will need to be assessed as your not dependant on him, only on your parents.
    if your dad is on disability allowance, he will need to get a form filled from social welfare with their stamp stating his full payments for the year, and how much he received for 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭nimrodsson

Hi Everyone - hoping someone could shed light on this for me.

I lived with parents in Meath up until end of September 2010.

Since October 2010 i have lived in Cork.

This September I'll be starting the Law Society PPC1 course in Dublin (an approved course), and I'll be relocating to Dublin from September through to April and then returning to Cork.

What local authority should i apply to?

I'm finding it difficult to find a clear answer to this one.

Many thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭missmaw

hi all,

Just in relation to employment for 2010. Guidance not for section F1 asks for ; P60 for each employment held at the end of 2010.
    Would I be correct in that this is for the job you are in at 31st of that year and not for previous employments that you would have ceased in that year?
    I had ceased employment for one job in July that year and started my current position in Aug.

Confused myself just reading that back . :eek:

Basically will I just need my P21 statement and the P60 for the job I was in at end of year 2010

Thanks in advance

i dont think your brothers income will need to be assessed as your not dependant on him, only on your parents.
    if your dad is on disability allowance, he will need to get a form filled from social welfare with their stamp stating his full payments for the year, and how much he received for 2010.

ok thanks:)

nimrodsson wrote: »
    Hi Everyone - hoping someone could shed light on this for me.

I lived with parents in Meath up until end of September 2010.

Since October 2010 i have lived in Cork.

This September I'll be starting the Law Society PPC1 course in Dublin (an approved course), and I'll be relocating to Dublin from September through to April and then returning to Cork.

What local authority should i apply to?

I'm finding it difficult to find a clear answer to this one.

Many thanks in advance.

apply to your home county council.

so that would be meath.

missmaw wrote: »
    hi all,

Just in relation to employment for 2010. Guidance not for section F1 asks for ; P60 for each employment held at the end of 2010.
    Would I be correct in that this is for the job you are in at 31st of that year and not for previous employments that you would have ceased in that year?
    I had ceased employment for one job in July that year and started my current position in Aug.

Confused myself just reading that back . :eek:

Basically will I just need my P21 statement and the P60 for the job I was in at end of year 2010

Thanks in advance

yes, your p21 statement and the p60 from your employer at the end of 2010 is sufficent.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭missmaw

yes, your p21 statement and the p60 from your employer at the end of 2010 is sufficent.

Excellent, thank you.

I'm sure I'll be back with plenty of more questions before this blooming application is sent away.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭nimrodsson

apply to your home county council.

so that would be meath.

Thanks for your reply.

Really, not Cork? Considering i'll have lived here a year by the time my course starts, and will be returning afterward...

nimrodsson wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

Really, not Cork? Considering i'll have lived here a year by the time my course starts, and will be returning afterward...

If you lived in cork in October 2010 then I would say cork

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Quibbler

I'm away at the moment and so don't have time to go through all of the forms and guidelines, but can anyone tell me if any of the rules have changed this year, or is it the same as last year?
    If you could qualify last year then will you qualify this year? I was just a bit worried they might change the rules like they did with the 3 year rule last year!

• Advertisement

Quibbler wrote: »
    I'm away at the moment and so don't have time to go through all of the forms and guidelines, but can anyone tell me if any of the rules have changed this year, or is it the same as last year?
    If you could qualify last year then will you qualify this year? I was just a bit worried they might change the rules like they did with the 3 year rule last year!
    I'm not sure if anything has significantly changed. The only thing I think is changing the adjacent distance from 24km to 45km

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭IfUSeekAmy

Hey, just enquiring about brackets.

what would be the income Id need to have to secure a full grant, living in kerry (applying for Dublin) for 3dependant children other than myself. Thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Helpyouspeak

I have a query about documentary evdence for personal income for 2010. I lived abroad for 6 months of 2010, in Spain, so was wondering if anyone had any idea what the equivalent of the Irish P60 is for Spain?

Also in reference to which Local Authority you should apply to, they have seemngly changed something this year as I found out this morning. I previously got my grant for my degree from Mayo County council as I had been living there a few months, subsequently moved abroad for 2 years and returned to live in Galway -in August 2010-so I assumed it would be Galway county council I'd send my application to this year but when reading the guidance notes to the grant I discvered a note saying If you were previously in receipt of a student grant you should re-apply to the grant awarding authority who previously processed your student grant application.
    So I called Mayo County council and they confirmed I should send my application to them despite not having lived there since 2003.

Just thought I'd share that as it may affect some people on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭begsy

Hi i'm confused about the whole grant application. To qualify for the grant do you have to live exactly 45 kilometeres from the college? Does any one know how many kilometers Lispole is from tralee? Or where can I find it out? Please help.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

Does anyone know how to change details on your online application? I made a mistake :(

Can I just apply again by post or will that mess things up?

have you submitted your application?

if not, then you can easily edit it there.

I wouldnt submit another one by post, as that would create 2 applications for you. best to ring your local vec and find out if they can edit it for you if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

Cool thanks :)

I submitted it already, I only realised afterwards that I had messed up one part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Swizzlstick

Questions about the supporting documents, I just finished the online grant.

A) I never received my P60 off my employer for the year 2010 (no longer work for the company) which entails me going in to the company about 10 times to remind them to send my P60 out, which is what happened with my P45, so I wonder, I have all my payslips from my commencement of work to the 31st Dec 2010. Shall that suffice?

B) One of my legal guardians who received Jobseekers Benefit in 2010 has all the receipts she has receive (3 in total) so rather than contacting the Department (of whatever it's called) and awaiting a letter from them, am I capable of sending in the receipts as documentary evidence? My legal guardian also has a letter from The Jobseekers Benefit which details when the payments commenced, but not when they ended. Shall this suffice?

I just want to get my application in hassle free s quick as I can.

begsy wrote: »
    Hi i'm confused about the whole grant application. To qualify for the grant do you have to live exactly 45 kilometeres from the college? Does any one know how many kilometers Lispole is from tralee? Or where can I find it out? Please help.

i used this to find the distance
    http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-advanced-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Moon Indigo

This is probably a stupid question but I did an online application and then sent in the documents etc. My question is do the council get back to you to say they got the forms or do they wait until they give you a yay or a nay? Thanks :confused:

Advertisement