Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis zzzzzz

• 14-03-2014 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

I have an 03 1.6 avensis. It is great in many ways. She is good on petrol and never fails to start.

That said she is boring me a bit. I am looking for anything that makes the car a bit nicer that ye can suggest. I have been looking for a leather interior but cant get one for the saloon pre 06. Cruise control fitted was another thing I thought of but the lads wh said they would do it wanted 600 notes for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭greasepalm

may depend on what budget your willing to pay,sports kit,alloy wheels,sound system,decals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

I wouldnt mind putting a grand or two into her. I spend about 10-15 hours a week in her so she might as well be nice.

Not too bothered by the appearance of the outside of the car though as I dont spend much time outside looking in. Sound system could be a nice option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I wouldnt mind putting a grand or two into her.

Putting a grand or two into a car that is only worth a grand?

She is probably worth 2-2.5K

• Registered Users Posts: 4,628 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

WikiHow wrote: »
    Putting a grand or two into a car that is only worth a grand?

Worth a grand to someone else. Worth more to OP I would imagine.

• Advertisement

Worth a grand to someone else. Worth more to OP I would imagine.

No that is retail value.

She is probably worth 2-2.5K

Ok, so you put 2 grand worth of extras into it do you honestly think its worth 4-4.5k then?

if spending time in car i think i spent over 1k on my system and car is 22 years old,2 x 10 subs in boot,high powered amps and speakers,all owners have different opinions on their cars,the ones that dont care about theirs they wait for lights to come on first before doing anything.

Ok, so you put 2 grand worth of extras into it do you honestly think its worth 4-4.5k then?

Nope, just looking to make where I spend almost a day a week a nicer place to be. I would expect that very few changes to a car would increase its value.

Nope, just looking to make where I spend almost a day a week a nicer place to be. I would expect that very few changes to a car would increase its value.

That is true, would you consider selling and putting that money with your money that you want to spend on upgrades and buy a nice comfortline golf maybe?

• Advertisement

greasepalm wrote: »
    if spending time in car i think i spent over 1k on my system and car is 22 years old,2 x 10 subs in boot,high powered amps and speakers,all owners have different opinions on their cars,the ones that dont care about theirs they wait for lights to come on first before doing anything.

I do have an attachment to the old girl. I drive a lot and she never fails to start. I have never had a warning light come on the dash but I look after her well. I change the oil, oil filter and air filter every 5000 miles.

I put a bluetooth car kit a bit back and the was a good improvement (Parrot MKi9200).

Before that I got an armrest for her. (From the factory she had alloys front fogs 4 elec windows and ac but no armrest).

I am not sure now how to brighten her up. The dash now has a few marks on it so i thought about getting it wrapped but not sure if I will do that.

That is true, would you consider selling and putting that money with your money that you want to spend on upgrades and buy a nice comfortline golf maybe?

I have been thinking about getting a saab 9-5 as I really like them but am slow to take the risk of getting a lemon by changing.

I have been thinking about getting a saab 9-5 as I really like them but am slow to take the risk of getting a lemon by changing.
    Why not get a good mechanic with knowledge of those cars to go with you if you decide to buy one of them?

I have been tempted but they have a problem with sludge which could be a disaster. If it wasnt for this there would be one outside my house already.

they have a problem with sludge

Sludge build up in the coolant system is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,628 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Sludge build up in the coolant system is it?

Oil sump.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057156160
    Here is a lad cleaning an engine out.
    It is the only thing stopping me going for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057156160
    Here is a lad cleaning an engine out.
    It is the only thing stopping me going for one.

Well with a bit of help that can be sorted out ;)

sludge in saab engines not good ,does in timing chain and when replaced by dealers cannot warranty it as oil ways could be partially blocked and could lead to engine replaced,if your happy with toyota and good practice oil/air and oil change every 5k,
    money is tight for alot of us,if it aint broke dont upgrade but when something major goes then think about it.

"How can I upgrade my car?"
    "Have you looked at buying another car?"

:rolleyes:

I was gonna suggest bluetooth, as it's been great to me, for music off the phone, but i think you already said you have that (you said Parrot, but i don't know if that's just for calls or if you can also get music through it). If it's only calls, then invest in a new head unit for music via the phone/bluetooth (and also keep the original head unit if you have it, for when the day comes to sell the car on).

Not overly sure what else you could do with the interior. With that kinda money, I suppose an obvious choice could be to change out the seats? Will directly affect your comfort, but not sure if you can just 'buy new seats' for cars or what way that works.

I heard of a chap before that spent a few quid getting the inside of his car sprayed. He got it done black and red, apparently (I'm not sure what the process was here, but im lead to believe the dash was removed, door insides were removed, etc. and all sprayed black. Then details like handles, air vents, etc. were done red. Steering wheel was done, too, with a black/red pattern. But that could be nonsense as I don't really know the fella that told me too well, and he could've been talking nonsense. Sounds realistic though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,363 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If it were me, I'd get as much of the 06 facelift bits as cheaply as possible. Rear lights for example

The facelift luna seats are quite nice. As is having folding rear seats. Leather steering wheel is a straightforward swap.

Carbon fibre effect wrap for centre console.

Avensis with leather just looks like a taxi.
    If you don't have an armrest, get one.

toyota-avensis-hatchback-2-0-d-4d-tr-5dr-15703480e5d9976c1f5f60520ecc0b91-640x480.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

greasepalm wrote: »
    sludge in saab engines not good ,does in timing chain and when replaced by dealers cannot warranty it as oil ways could be partially blocked and could lead to engine replaced,if your happy with toyota and good practice oil/air and oil change every 5k,
    money is tight for alot of us,if it aint broke dont upgrade but when something major goes then think about it.

The saab sludge issue, while is a valid concern, has absolutely nothing to do with the timing chain. I have no idea where you are getting dealers replacing timing chains without warranty due to the sludge issue either.

of course sludge is an issue with any car and it was in chatting with spirit motors a saab agent who told me when i priced a timing chain job and non changing of oil for 2 years=black sludge.
    no regular oil changes will block up oil passages reducing oil pressure and have excessive wear on engines fact.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If it were me, I'd get as much of the 06 facelift bits as cheaply as possible. Rear lights for example

The facelift luna seats are quite nice. As is having folding rear seats. Leather steering wheel is a straightforward swap.

Carbon fibre effect wrap for centre console.

Avensis with leather just looks like a taxi.
    If you don't have an armrest, get one.

toyota-avensis-hatchback-2-0-d-4d-tr-5dr-15703480e5d9976c1f5f60520ecc0b91-640x480.jpg

Thats a good idea. Is it a big job to change the rear seats for the ones which fold down?

fold down seats have access to boot does yours,look into boot see a full bulkhead?

No,
    When I need to put something big in and remove the back seats I need to get the spanners out.
    I pull the base up and out as one full unit and the back is the same.
    Colm_mcm suggested this as an upgrade for my car I was wondering if it is difficult to adapt my car to suit the fold down seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,363 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Its a straight swap AFAIK.

lovely thanks

Advertisement