Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speaker Trouble

Options
  • 08-03-2014 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. The rear speakers in my Astra never worked since the day I got the car, so today I took off the door cards and tried to find the issue.

The speakers themselves are fine and so is the wiring. I used a multimeter to check and there is current flowing through the wiring connector when the radio is on.

Just by chance I shorted the positive lead of the wiring connector to the door of the car, and the speaker started working, which I find a bit weird. I turned off the radio, and turned it back on and now its not working. I've done this twice now and it works both times.

So, my question is; If the speaker is working, and so is the wiring, where is the fault?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. The rear speakers in my Astra never worked since the day I got the car, so today I took off the door cards and tried to find the issue.

The speakers themselves are fine and so is the wiring. I used a multimeter to check and there is current flowing through the wiring connector when the radio is on.

Just by chance I shorted the positive lead of the wiring connector to the door of the car, and the speaker started working, which I find a bit weird. I turned off the radio, and turned it back on and now its not working. I've done this twice now and it works both times.

So, my question is; If the speaker is working, and so is the wiring, where is the fault?[/QUOTE
    Most likely the fault is in the radio. Have you checked for continuity on your speaker wires from rear of radio out to each speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

No I have not. How would you go about doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

Pops_20 wrote: »
    No I have not. How would you go about doing that?

Remove the speaker iso plug from the back of radio. Set your meter to the lowest resistance range or preferably to the buzzer if that feature is in it. Check to see if you have same resistance reading on all 4 speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Remove the speaker iso plug from the back of radio. Set your meter to the lowest resistance range or preferably to the buzzer if that feature is in it. Check to see if you have same resistance reading on all 4 speakers.

Ok thank you. Might not be worth the hassle for the two rear speakers. I will need to get those 4 prongs for removing the radio unit from the dash and probably the radio code also if I have to disconnect it.

Advertisement