Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Slimbo

Hi All,
    I have recently opened the Poets Rest in Slane County Meath as an Argentinean themed steak & seafood house.
    I don't know if this post is politically correct but I would like to let people know we are open and that hopefully we will be back on the review thread in a positive way when people try it.
    I have another thread opened in the immediate regional areas and was PM'd to promote the business here, as we need all the PR we get.
    My apologies if I offended anyone by my business plug,but who better to promote a restaurant to than people who love food.
    Regards,
    Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Slimbo, do you do Sunday carvery??
    Also, just to add .... Sola Bia @ the Brink in Slane is delish!! :)
    Shame about the performance of some of the staff though.... LONG waiting times....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

kormak wrote: »
    Slimbo, do you do Sunday carvery??
    Also, just to add .... Sola Bia @ the Brink in Slane is delish!! :)
    Shame about the performance of some of the staff though.... LONG waiting times....

I was there a couple of weeks ago and agree the food was lovely, however we were served in an extremely fast time!

There was only 3 other tables in use at the time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Posher

Just want to put in another good word for Rupee Indian Restaurant in Bettystown. The food is really, really nice and very good value. I have only used it at a takeaway. I've ordered 6 or 7 times since it opened and it has been consistently good which can be hard to find withe a takeaway. I order on www.just-eat.ie - so handy.:D Two chicken based main courses, one nan bread, poppadums and dip and delivery (to Stamullen) for just under €25 - excellent value.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

had lunch in seomra tae on sat, absolutely gorgeous little spot

have a look at the pics here http://www.facebook.com/seomra.tae1

*drools*

then my usual chicken tikka masala in punjabi house on sat night, never fails me :)

edit: prob should be in meath forum, ups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

I really hope I'm not seeing things, but I think I saw a banner for Rupee where the PinkElephant Thai used to be, beside Jaffas first premises?

Is this just advertising or are they opening in Drogheda? Please, please someone tell me they're opening? Please *drool*

The website says coming soon in drogheda?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

D rog wrote: »
    I really hope I'm not seeing things, but I think I saw a banner for Rupee where the PinkElephant Thai used to be, beside Jaffas first premises?

Is this just advertising or are they opening in Drogheda? Please, please someone tell me they're opening? Please *drool*

yes they are opening a restaurant there.

Enjoy"!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

So safron garden is gone then?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Fursttimer

Visited Bia this week.

Menu is large and quite inviting, definitely got my taste buds going but unfortunately I, nor my partner, were overly impressed with our food. Very average.

Prices are good and I might return next week to try something different. So a mixed review for now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭muckyprawn

I totally agree....I have been going to Chans for a long time. It is good value, but the service has totally gone downhill....the last couple of times we have been waiting far too long for our food to come.

I also went to Quay 4 recently....not overly impressed, I ordered "fresh scampi", which in my opinion was frozen junk. My GF got the homemade burger which wasn't too bad.

Relish in Bettystown also disappointed me the last time I was there, altough the time previous I was impressed. I had ordered chicken korma which was more like a curry sauce from a chipper...pure cack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

where is this Quay four place?

PinkFly wrote: »
    where is this Quay four place?

Down the quays by apache pizza.

I walked into it, looked at the menu and walked back out. Not my thing.

Any one been in the pheasant for food?

• Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Any one been in the pheasant for food?

Been there for lunch yeah very nice. Have evening menu coming soon done a great job on the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HALLOW RUBY

Has anyone checked out Cafe Simona yet on the quays? I've been there twice and can't recommend it highly enough if you enjoy authentic Italian produce. They have a wide selections of meats, pasta, sandwiches, pastries etc and some very good coffee to go with it.

If anyone else has been there please let me know what you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭furiousox

furiousox wrote: »
    Just like to give a mention for cafe simona in town, its where olio & farina used to be on the way down to scotch hall.
    I've been in there twice recently and its really nice for a coffee and pastry type of 'pit stop'.
    They also do panini and pasta dishes I think but I've just been there for coffee etc
    Coffee is really nice and they have a nice selection of pastries.
    I think the couple running it are Italian, they seem really nice and friendly so I just thought I'd give them a mention here.
    I'll sign off with the usual disclaimer that I've no connection etc with the place, just like to see them do well...thats all! :)

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Posher

We got another takeaway from Rupee last night. Lovely as usual but there is a price increase.:( Approx €1.50 on all main courses. Our order including delivery is usually just under €25. Last night it was just over €28.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hanlor

Has anyone checked out Cafe Simona yet on the quays? I've been there twice and can't recommend it highly enough if you enjoy authentic Italian produce. They have a wide selections of meats, pasta, sandwiches, pastries etc and some very good coffee to go with it.

If anyone else has been there please let me know what you think?

Been there a few times. Very authentic and owners are really friendly. They deserve to do well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭furiousox

On the way back from Dublin this evening, me, mrs ox (and junior) decided to drop into the Black Bull for tea.
    Had second thoughts and decided to call into The Huntsman (Gibneys) instead.
    Really glad we did as I thought it was much better than the BB.
    There was a standard menu but we were also offered a dinner menu which cost E40 for two (for 3 courses) and included a bottle of wine (and a lift home if required!)
    Junior had his usual chicken nuggets/chips coke and ice cream while we had bruschetta and garlic mushrooms to start followed by steak/black pepper sce x2 plus baileys ice cream to finish.
    The food and service was very good all round, couldn't fault it, especially the service which was friendly and attentive.
    Grand total was E47.55 which I thought was excellent value for a meal for three which included steaks and wine.

CPL 593H

Got grub from Rupee in Bettystown last night...It was top class. Reasonible enough price too....apparently it's the same people from Indus???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

We have also tried Rupee once for take away, and food was good. They are not cheap compared to other take aways around town, but can't fault the taste or quantity.

Feasted on Domino's a few times last week with their €10 deal. they certainly do great pizza. I would recommend their "meateor" to anyone.

Just wondering where these cheaper take aways are?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

muckyprawn, I was thinking of Woks Cooking in Wheaton Hall when I said that, I know one is Indian and one is Chinese, so it's not directly comparable, but from a pure value point of view, there are cheaper places to get food from (although not necessarily Indian). I think all Indian take away prices are pretty much about same, although I haven't compared them in detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mylo mc

well said borgerlinemeath i totally agree :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mylo mc

i myself go to the morning star regulary and the food is great ,really nice staff and cosy.
    think the whole kids eat free thing is great also. i would recommend going there.

muckyprawn wrote: »
    Just wondering where these cheaper take aways are?

Tasty Express and noodle box are really nice. Pretty cheap too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Hadn't been in town for saturday morning breakfast in ages so went in this morning. Usually go to the westcourt when I am home visiting so went there.

Never again !!!!!!!

What the hell happened to this place, now I have to sit on a bar stool and eat :confused: This place used to do well on a saturday morning and had it's share of older people who's hips might have something to say about the bar stools :D

Jeeeez talk about alienating your market, in a recession and they want to fail it seems :mad:

At least the gateway has reopened under new management I thought, so I went there instead, haven't found their feet yet by a running mile, food was well below par , my mushrooms tasted like cardboard :( long way off in terms of what it used to be but at least you can sit in comfort ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

Seriously, trust me- Salthouse is the only place for fab breakfast. Really, try it :)

There's no such thing as a good breakfast in Drogheda...get up that little bit later and go to Bia for some noodles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

Burkes on Peter Street always good for a fry and a big mug of tea

Advertisement