Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Painting Mobile Home Aluminum Windows

• 26-10-2014 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

I have a 12 year old mobile with single glazed windows. In spots the white paint has started to bubble and pieces have come off. The bare alluminium can be seen.

I am concerned about rust. How should I treat it?

Comments

Aluminum doesn't rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Aluminum will corrode if exposed. It will look like a white powder. Best thing is to sand, prime and paint with a primer suitable for aluminum.

The corrosion is a protective layer, like copper.

No it's not at all. I have seen plenty of corrosion on aluminum and I can assure you it's quite the opposite.

How long does it last untreated? I've loadsa chequered plate out in the elements.

• Advertisement

It depends on the alloy and the conditions, and if the plate is treated. A lot of alloys have a clear anodized coating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

http://www.aluminiumdesign.net/design-support/aluminium-corrosion-resistance/

It will only corrode with electrolyte like salt spray for seaside mobilehome, acid rain etc my old school and most of the houses around it have uncoated windows approaching 40 years old with no significant pitting or corrosion.

The problem with peeling paint/ coatings is that water salt , cleaning detergents etc gets trapped and many cycles of evaporation can concentrate deposits in the pockets and canuse pitting.its probably sufficient to remove loose material in the lifespan of the typical window.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭nicnac

Thanks all for your feedback on this. Next time I am at the mobile I will take a picture and upload it.
    I haven't a clue whether or not the aluminium is treated, or in fact, am only assuming it is aluminium!

If a fridge magnet won't stick to the metal I wouldn't be fussed about paint unless it's cosmetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

yip, and once that layer is gets damaged and there is salt in the air it will all go wrong

you end up with hydrogen out of it, attracts the chlorine out of the salt and you get hydrochloric acid

hydrochoric acid and aluminium get on well together :

• Advertisement
Advertisement