Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia-Yes or No?

• 23-06-2015 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi there at the moment now I'm 20 I'll be 21 when I complete my final year in college next year I'm doing a degree in law and accounting just become a bit disillusioned with things at home recently and kind of want to get out there and do a bit of travelling meet new people and fend for myself
    I am big time mulling over going to Oz for the 1 year working visa and more than likely would be doing it on my own just had a few questions for ye!
    1. Do ye think Im at a good age to go explore oz on my own, to meet new people etc?
    2. with my background is it likely I could obtain any work in the accountancy field/ business work or would you recommened living off construction/barwork
    3.Where would ye recommend starting off in australia obviously I plan on doing a bit of travelling but at the moment am torn between melbourne and sydeny??
    4.How much funds do you think would be enough to bring to australia??
    5.Standard of living-is it all thats its set out to be the weather, beach life, people??
    6. Would you yourself take the plunge all over again-do you think its worth it?

Thanks guys would appreciate your feedback a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

cwalsh95 wrote: »
    Hi there at the moment now I'm 20 I'll be 21 when I complete my final year in college next year I'm doing a degree in law and accounting just become a bit disillusioned with things at home recently and kind of want to get out there and do a bit of travelling meet new people and fend for myself
    I am big time mulling over going to Oz for the 1 year working visa and more than likely would be doing it on my own just had a few questions for ye!
    1. Do ye think Im at a good age to go explore oz on my own, to meet new people etc?
    2. with my background is it likely I could obtain any work in the accountancy field/ business work or would you recommened living off construction/barwork
    3.Where would ye recommend starting off in australia obviously I plan on doing a bit of travelling but at the moment am torn between melbourne and sydeny??
    5.Standard of living-is it all thats its set out to be the weather, beach life, people??

1.yes absolutely
    2.there is plenty of casual work in all those fields, you might not make a fortune but will get by
    3.ive lived in both and really depends what your into, Melboune is a fantastic city for sport,music,great Ocean road etc.... While Sydney has ao great beaches close to the city
    4. How long is a piece of string? Depends if you start working straight away or spend weeks/months arsing around hostels
    5.there is plenty to do and see and always somethng on the weekend in major cities, right now it's winter in Sydney so weather isn't great and it's dark by 5pm so not exactly bbq and beach weather
    6.for me yes, things haven't gone as I had planned but looking back now I have no regrets....ended up living in 3 states and having 12 jobs in 2 years and met a lot of good people/bad people but it's all part of it and you make your own luck as far as I'm concerned, don't be expecting everything to fall at your feet when you get off the plane, decide what you want out of the year or so and so your research, your potentially flying to the other side of the world so make the most of it as you may not get the chance again!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cwalsh95

cheers minzabud!

Hi guys if I could get anymore feedback on this it would be great much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

1. Absolutely! You're young and not tied down! As long as your willing to mix (not just with Irish) you will be fine.
    2. I have no idea about accountancy or business but take a look at some of the job sites and see what's advertised.
    3. I didn't live in either city but absolutely love both!! Brisbane is also amazing and weather is great all year.
    4. Bring as much money as u possibly can!!
    5. The lifestyle isn't for everyone but I'm an outdoorsy person so before work I'd head for a run, after work I might go swimming, weekend I might go kayaking or surfing... It is what u make of it!
    6. I have absolutely no regrets! I'm currently in Ireland because of a sick relative but will be back out in a few months as a permanent resident.

Hope it works out for u anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sean_b97

go for it! no point hanging around ireland... so many better countries to explore haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 cianboy

cwalsh95 wrote: »

1. Yes
    2. Take a look on seek.com.au I work in IT and can say without a doubt any Irish person with a degree and good communication skills is highly sought after.
    3. Sydney for me, I love the beaches and if you live in the right suburb, transport is pretty easy. I'm based in Coogee and can get to the city in 30 minutes.
    4. I moved here 7 years ago. I think I brought 5k which was plenty, I didn't work for the 1st 2 months. You'll most likely end up in a share house, budget 200-300 AUD per week for this (basing this off eastern suburbs). I reckon you could live comfortably on $600 per week, start eating out and drinking and that number increases quickly.
    5. Yes, it's awesome. I've been here 7 years now, weather is great, city is beautiful, have a good network of friends. Negatives, expensive, far from Ireland, Sydney people are not super friendly.
    6. 100%

Best of luck.

Hi guys would appreciate more feedback if ye could am really hellbent on going to sydney hopefully next September after I graduate just wondering how's the job and accomodation market going over there ? Is it possible to rent rooms or anything of the sort? Plan is hopefully to get a few jobs that I'm not tied down to like construction or furniture removal or an office job I'm very willing also looking at bringing €2000 over is that enough ?! Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

Im living in Sydney for about 18months now, Have lived in Melbourne and asrehole of nowhere in queensland. All have their pros and cons,
    Melbourne is an amazing city, always something to do but for me Sydney wins because of the coastline around the eastern Suburbs.

Jobwise there is always work going here, it just depends on what you want to do and how far your willing to commute, i currently travel 1hr each way for my job but I'm an electrician so I follow the jobs I like and am willing to travel for them.

Gumtree can be god for jobs sometimes too in the sectors you mentioned above so keep an eye on that and seek etc...

Gumtree, domain.com.au, flatmates, check these out for accommodation. Gumtree always has rooms to rent in a share house advertised. Also check out Facebook pages like irish in sydney, irish in australia, type into search bar in Facebook and these type pages come up, again quite often accommodation is advertised on here too.

2000 Euro is roughly $3000 at the min and if you get a room for say $250 a week, eastern suburbs prices, eastern suburbs by the way is around bondi beach, bondi junction, bronte beach, coogee beach and more. Bondi Junction has a train station which makes commuting easy,
    anyway, say $250 a week, $250 living costs, food, drink, travel etc... thats $500 a week so your potentially bringing 6weeks worth of money with you.

If you don't wanna start working straight away and travel around then research what you wanna do and budget accordingly, $3000 dollars could last you ages or a week depending on what you want to do.

Hope that helps a bit, feel free to hit me up for more info if you think i can be of help.

Codofwar wrote: »
    Im living in Sydney for about 18months now, Have lived in Melbourne and asrehole of nowhere in queensland. All have their pros and cons,
    Melbourne is an amazing city, always something to do but for me Sydney wins because of the coastline around the eastern Suburbs.

Jobwise there is always work going here, it just depends on what you want to do and how far your willing to commute, i currently travel 1hr each way for my job but I'm an electrician so I follow the jobs I like and am willing to travel for them.

Gumtree can be god for jobs sometimes too in the sectors you mentioned above so keep an eye on that and seek etc...

Gumtree, domain.com.au, flatmates, check these out for accommodation. Gumtree always has rooms to rent in a share house advertised. Also check out Facebook pages like irish in sydney, irish in australia, type into search bar in Facebook and these type pages come up, again quite often accommodation is advertised on here too.

2000 Euro is roughly $3000 at the min and if you get a room for say $250 a week, eastern suburbs prices, eastern suburbs by the way is around bondi beach, bondi junction, bronte beach, coogee beach and more. Bondi Junction has a train station which makes commuting easy,
    anyway, say $250 a week, $250 living costs, food, drink, travel etc... thats $500 a week so your potentially bringing 6weeks worth of money with you.

If you don't wanna start working straight away and travel around then research what you wanna do and budget accordingly, $3000 dollars could last you ages or a week depending on what you want to do.

Hope that helps a bit, feel free to hit me up for more info if you think i can be of help.

Thanks codofwar much appreciated!

Advertisement