Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deveneys Beer Festival 2010 - 20th Aug @ The Pod

• 20-07-2010 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Came across this (mate sent me the link), and thought some of ye would be interested!
    https://www.eventelephant.com/deveneys-beer-festival

Friday 20th August, 17:00-22:00

14 Beer stands with a total of 200 Premium Bottled Beers from around the world.
    Brewer Line-up Preview:
    - Brew Dog
    - Breconshire Brewery
    - Hirsch Brewery
    - Brooklyn Brewery
    - Carlow Brewing Co
    - Dungarvan Brewery
    - Clanconnell Brewery
    - Svytury's
    - Utenos
    - Mendocino
    - Speakeasy
    - Black Diamond
    - Hilden Brewery
    - Sharps
    - Wychwood
    - Schneider
    - Green's
    - Erdinger
    - Krombacher
    - Budejovicky
    - St.Peters
    - Shepherd Neame
    - Aspall's
    - Paulaner
    - Desperados
    - Blue Moon
    - Kasteel Cru Rose
    - Duvel
    - Maredsous
    - Vedett
    - La Chouffe
    - Liefman's
    - Estrella
    - Weihenstephaner
    - Adnams
    - PorterHouse range
    And loads more....
    €20 for a ticket (prepaid by paypal, laser, credit card, etc), and you get 5 tokens. 1 token (beer punt) gets you a 140ml beer serve.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I refuse to attend any food or drink festival that makes use of tokens as payment. It is designed with the specific intention of providing the worst possible value.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BeerNut wrote: »
    Ten thread down has no info on ciders :P
    Hi the_syco,
    There will be no Bulmer's or any commercial beers at this festival.
    Craft beers and ciders only.
    I will have Aspall's Ciders - winners of the ''Best Cider in the
    World'' competition and a couple of other small cider producers along
    with proper fruit beers and Lambics.
    The line-up should appeal to all.
    See breweries in attendance on the Blog : http://deveneysbeer.blogspot.com
    All details available at the above address.
    Thanks for the email the_syco, hope you're looking forward to the First
    Bottled Beer Festival in Ireland!

/edit
    Just copped that Midlans is on that day, so won't be going :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Was thinking of going but interesting what Sergeant said, can't you just buy halves or pints at these things, never been to one? Incidentally the_syco did you really ask was there Bulmers available at it! Sure you can get that piss in any Spar in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sergeant wrote: »
    I refuse to attend any food or drink festival that makes use of tokens as payment. It is designed with the specific intention of providing the worst possible value.

The tokens aren't the problem.
    The problem is what you get for your tokens, in this case 500ml will cost you €5.35 - a bit steep especially when you consider you've essentially paid €12.50 to get in (taking into account the 5 beer punts you get with your entrance).

Tokens can work very well if valued correctly and saves every stall having a cash register. This has worked and been good value in at the Franciscan Well festivals in the past (which are free to get into) but they seem to have gone back to all cash for some reason.

I never understand how people get away with charging into what is really a 'shop'. Craft fairs are the same - surely many more people would go and buy stuff if you didn't have to pay to get into the 'shop'?

• Advertisement

The problem is what you get for your tokens, in this case 500ml will cost you €5.35 - a bit steep especially when you consider you've essentially paid €12.50 to get in (taking into account the 5 beer punts you get with your entrance).

Tokens can work very well if valued correctly and saves every stall having a cash register. This has worked and been good value in at the Franciscan Well festivals in the past (which are free to get into) but they seem to have gone back to all cash for some reason.

Hi,

That is what I meant, I put it across badly. I've seen this work at craft brew festivals in the States and Canada, the tokens allow you to get either a small measure or a full pint (or equivalent), with a larger measure costing more tokens. But the beer remains good value compared to what you would pay in the local pub.

However, Taste of Dublin, this thing, the german beer festival down in the IFSC offer tokens that ensure you get bad value, sometimes cannot be cashed back at the end of the evening. Petty.

The Great British Beer Festival doesn't use a token system, and is a fantastically well run event, apart from the amount of beards, leather patches, and pipe smoke that Camra events seem to attract!

I never understand how people get away with charging into what is really a 'shop'. Craft fairs are the same - surely many more people would go and buy stuff if you didn't have to pay to get into the 'shop'?
    But if you are renting the shop for the day you'll need a guarantee that you will come close to covering your costs before you let the first punter in.
    The Great British Beer Festival doesn't use a token system, and is a fantastically well run event, apart from the amount of beards, leather patches, and pipe smoke that Camra events seem to attract!
    It's all about the business model. CAMRA is a not-for-profit organisation with 100,000 members. It buys all the beer for its festivals up front and then sells it. It's the ideal way of working for both punter and supplier, IMO, but you really need to know that you'll move the volumes. It also helps a lot when your bar staff aren't being paid.
    However, Taste of Dublin, this thing, the german beer festival down in the IFSC offer tokens that ensure you get bad value, sometimes cannot be cashed back at the end of the evening. Petty.
    The alternative is the event not happening. In these cases the organisers need to make money or else there will be no event at all. I doubt there's any other way of doing it. Unless, like the Franciscan Well, you own a licensed venue where drink can be served.

Was thinking of going but interesting what Sergeant said, can't you just buy halves or pints at these things, never been to one? Incidentally the_syco did you really ask was there Bulmers available at it! Sure you can get that piss in any Spar in the country.
    I'm not going to pay €20 into an event to be told that it's a "beer only event, but we have some Bulmers on tap". F**k that.
    The only way I can think of the shot system making any sense (because you are more or less just getting a large shot of beer), is that they want you to taste many different shots of beer, and not just have 3 pints and leave.
    The alternative is the event not happening. In these cases the organisers need to make money or else there will be no event at all. I doubt there's any other way of doing it. Unless, like the Franciscan Well, you own a licensed venue where drink can be served.
    Agreed. Unless you have a venue like the Porterhouse that can have beer festivals in your own backyard, as it were, you need some sort of capital to ensure that the venue gets paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 redeal

Think its great that a festival like this is taking place but I'd have to agree that its not value for money. I understand that costs need to be met with the venue etc.
    But I'm not gona be the person to help line other peoples pockets just because it should be done. Its classic rip-off Ireland.
    Same old story, In ireland you simply charge more because the suckers will pay it.

A real shame as I was going to go to this event but not now. I trust it will be a success even without my attendence.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

redeal wrote: »
    Think its great that a festival like this is taking place but I'd have to agree that its not value for money. I understand that costs need to be met with the venue etc.
    But I'm not gona be the person to help line other peoples pockets just because it should be done. Its classic rip-off Ireland.
    Same old story, In ireland you simply charge more because the suckers will pay it.

A real shame as I was going to go to this event but not now. I trust it will be a success even without my attendence.:(

Well if you're looking for "value for money" then spend all 5 of your beer tokens on Tokyo, giving you 127.4ml of alcohol. As a comparison if you go to a pub selling pints of guinness @ 4 euro, for 20 quid you'll only get 122.12ml alcohol.
    Seems like a no-brainer to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Well as someone who attended Deveney's previous outing in the Bull & Castle last year, I though it was very good value. None of the stalls were strict regarding the "measure/shot" provided, they're trying to promote their beers so that you'll end up buying them in offies during the rest of the year or asking your local offy to stock them.

By using the tokens you get to try a range of beers rather than paying €3/4 for a bottle and then realising you don't like it. My only advice to people would be to leave the IPA's until later or else have a good drink of water after trying them as their taste can impact on how your next beer tastes.

There was a great vibe at the last outing and should be even better this time as there'll be a band playing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Can you buy the beer as in an off licence type of way at this also ?

kenmc wrote: »
    Well if you're looking for "value for money" then spend all 5 of your beer tokens on Tokyo, giving you 127.4ml of alcohol. As a comparison if you go to a pub selling pints of guinness @ 4 euro, for 20 quid you'll only get 122.12ml alcohol.
    Seems like a no-brainer to me.
    I'm confused. A pint of guinness = 568ml , so €20 would get you 2,273ml. Where do you get 122.12ml from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

the_syco wrote: »
    I'm confused. A pint of guinness = 568ml , so €20 would get you 2,273ml. Where do you get 122.12ml from?

Alcohol content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Would love to go to this but I really feel like it is too expensive to justify. €20 would be better spent on four pints in the Bull & Castle, and bus fare home. Great idea and I hope it's a success (not too much of a success to be cancelled like Septemberfest though).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Would love to go to this but I really feel like it is too expensive to justify. €20 would be better spent on four pints in the Bull & Castle, and bus fare home. Great idea and I hope it's a success (not too much of a success to be cancelled like Septemberfest though).

I tend to agree. It would be a great idea if it was a simple 1.50 per token (even if you had to buy 5 tokens upfront for 7.50), but for €20 you're better off just buying the beers in an offie and drinking them with mates in one of your homes.

There may be an argument that it is more of an "event" about enjoying good beer, but it is bordering on the lines of a "look at me, I like fancy beer" social.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Have to agree with this. I'm disappointed that Septemberfest is gone and I'm now looking for an alternative. The value of these "tokens" are, to my mind, insulting. 5 tokens, with each one allowing you to get a 140ml drink, for €20 - 700ml for €20. A pint is 568ml, so do the maths.

We are in a recession. A much smarter marketing ploy would be a small nominal fee (if one at all) entry and people buy their drinks or, get a discount, if they pre-pay for a certain number of drinks.

I agree with some of the posts above, was looking forward to going but not now, why don't they have pints for say 4.20 and halves for 2.20 or something like that? That tokens thing might have worked in the greedy Celtic Tiger times but now with peoples disposable income decimated (I had to take a 30% pay cut to keep my job) it doesn't make any sense.

why don't they have pints for say 4.20 and halves for 2.20
    Because the idea is to taste small amounts of lots of beers, not pints and halves.

Because the idea is to taste small amounts of lots of beers, not pints and halves.

Well the likes of The Great British Beer Festival have a choice of 1/3, 1/2 and 1 pint amounts to buy and they have a huge amount of beers on offer, I would like to buy a 1/3 and then buy a pint if I like it now and again, can't see the harm in that, I'm not a teenager and I'm not going to drink 40 pints.

• Advertisement

Well the likes of The Great British Beer Festival have a choice of 1/3, 1/2 and 1 pint amounts to buy and they have a huge amount of beers on offer,
    Totally different type of event run by a totally different type of organisation on a totally different business model for a totally different purpose.
    I would like to buy a 1/3 and then buy a pint if I like it
    At this festival you can buy a 1/4 and if you like the beer you can then buy it in an off licence every day. This is to encourage people to try the beers that are readily available, but which they might not like to risk buying a whole one of.

At this festival you can buy a 1/4 and if you like the beer you can then buy it in an off licence every day. This is to encourage people to try the beers that are readily available, but which they might not like to risk buying a whole one of.

Why would I pay €20 to sample a couple of small servings of a beer when I can buy a few bottles of the the same beers for the same price and have them at home?

I realise that the organisers need to promote and make money, but this is Celtic Tiger level pricing.

Why would I pay €20 to sample a couple of small servings of a beer when I can buy a few bottles of the the same beers for the same price and have them at home?
    You're supposed to have more than a couple -- that's why the measures are small. The reason you would want to is if you didn't want to buy a whole bottle.

If it was 10 vouchers for the €20 I would go, however only 5 really is having a laugh. Assuming you go, and sample 10 more drinks so 15 in total then the total cost would be €35. For €35 I'd wager you could get 15 full bottles in Deveneys (assuming prices range between €2 and €3 as most bottles do). So what is the point of going to this festival? You could buy 15 bottles, invite a friend over, try a half measure of the exact same beers and save €35.

Really, I hope they succeed, but to anybody who does their sums it doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Well as someone who attended Deveney's previous outing in the Bull & Castle last year, I though it was very good value. None of the stalls were strict regarding the "measure/shot" provided, they're trying to promote their beers so that you'll end up buying them in offies during the rest of the year or asking your local offy to stock them.

That's good to know and you need to get that out there. In all fairness people don't what to be slugging back pints at an event like this but getting a bigger pour always adds to the kudos.

However I too have severe reservations on events like this. €20 for 5 samples is as others have complained not good value.

The point of a beer festival is to promote your wares and if it is not good value for the punter it is falling at the first hurdle. I may have said this before but I'll repeat it ... I attend Whisky festivals and they too are pay in with drink tokens. However that is where the similarity ends with Irish beer festivals. These would be in the UK and on average cost £20. For that you get the 5 vouchers but also a free tasting glass worth £5(retail) a lunch voucher (Filled Roll, Mineral & Tea or Coffe) It also includes entertainment and a chill out room. Even more appealing is half the time the distilleries do not take your vouchers and your 5 tokens will often get you through the day. These have grow from free events and as they got bigger and better they started to charge for them but they still offer huge value for money.

My issue with these Beer festivals is that they seem to be trying to turn a quick profit. However they should be just about establishing themselves initially and build from there. I refuse to support these type of Beer festivals unless it is apparent there will be value for money.

€20 for 5 samples is as others have complained not good value.
    Pick your samples carefully, as others have pointed out, and you'll do a hell of a lot better than you would with that €20 in the pub.
    The point of a beer festival is to promote your wares
    That's only one reason beer festivals happen. There are many others. IMO lots of people who try different beers at festivals revert straight back to their usual as soon as they're out the gate. Promotional value: zero.
    that is where the similarity ends with Irish beer festivals.
    How many Irish beer festivals have you been to?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Originally Posted by IrishWhiskeyCha viewpost.gif
    that is where the similarity ends with Irish beer festivals.

How many Irish beer festivals have you been to?

Okay a bit previous on that comment should have specified that these that charge imo are not doing me as a punter any favours. At least Deveney's offer 5 vouchers for your €20. One in galway you get nothing for your entry fee.

I've been to a fair few but all were free in and they were great, as I said I refuse to pay into these unless I know they are worth, I don't want to get loads of free beer for nothing but I don't want to pay for the previledge of entry before paying for the priviledge of tasting beer. It is obvious from the reaction here that alot of people feel the same way. I am a person that wants to support Irisdh Brewers but I cannot abide by €20 entry fees for very little in return.

Again it is basic economics, as others have said, I can get 5 decent bottled beers for €10-15 so the Deveney's option does not appeal and that is the name of the game. September Fest last year I thought was great in comparison and well organised. But The Galway Beer Festival in the Black Box ... €15 for entry only give me a break ... the Oslo on the other hand gave there event a good go. That is the point ... I'll go if it does not cost me anything to go and I'll pay for my beer.

Get your €20 worth. 5 samples of BREW DOG TACTICAL NUCLEAR PENGUIN.

In all seriousness,a bit of research and you will get your €20 worth. These are my five beers:

1) BROOKLYN LOCAL 1 or 2
    2) BREW DOG ABSTRAKT
    3) GOOSE ISLAND PERE JACQUE
    4) SAMUEL ADAMS TRIPLE BOCK
    5) DOGFISH HEAD PALO SANTO MARRON

I am biased towards American beers and brew dog as I normally drink the cheaper beers they produce. But I am sure there are some expensive Belgians or whatever your favourite is.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭yknaa

Count me in. The availability of so many mirco-bres beers is worth a lot, not to mention supporting Irish craft brews which I am happy to do. Throw in a decent band (who I'm sure are not playing for free) and I reckon it is worth supporting.

• Advertisement

Just noticed this on their Facebook page:

"Deveneys Dundrum, Lughnasa Beer Festival, August 2010 Taste any beer at the Festival for €1.50. All 200 Beers available at this price point."

Sounds like they might be offering more than the tokens thing, though they don't say if its a thimbles worth or a 1/3. Will probably go now.

Advertisement