Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

derekon wrote: »
    Thought you might like that ! Now that is what I call a COLD spell! :D:D

D

Id be feckin lucky to get that when i go to Kiruna in a few weeks let alone here!!! haha!

BRRRRRRR!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Id be feckin lucky to get that when i go to Kiruna in a few weeks let alone here!!! haha!

BRRRRRRR!

I know but doesn't it make you appreciate the fact that Ireland is open to extreme cold and does get it, December 2010 being the most recent case in point. Fascinating weather in Ireland - Atlantic winds to the west, polar air to the north, siberian/continental winds to the east and tropical winds from the south. IRELAND is at the cross roads of them all, which is what makes our weather so varied :D:D

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I know but doesn't it make you appreciate the fact that Ireland is open to extreme cold and does get it, December 2010 being the most recent case in point. Fascinating weather in Ireland - Atlantic winds to the west, polar air to the north, siberian/continental winds to the east and tropical winds from the south. IRELAND is at the cross roads of them all, which is what makes our weather so varied :D:D

D

Just a pity that the polar maritime westerlies are by far the most frequently occurring of them all in Ireland. A rough guess I'd say about 99% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

The above posts got me looking at the charts from 1947 and seeing if they in anyway compare to what the current FI charts are showing.

fijan5th2012192h.png

The one above is current at 192hrs, so Fantasy Island, but just seeing if it compared to anything that happened in 1947 and it looks quite similar to this one.

archives18thjan1947.png

Now in our current FI charts that high pressure can't push up and doesn't create anything decent cold wise, but in 1947, just 10 days after the above chart, and as similar posts above have stated we got this beauty..

archivespressure28thjan.png

With these uppers...

archivesjan28th1947uppe.png

I know the chances of something like 1947 panning out again would be very remote, but it does show that with a few things falling into place a very cold spell could easily happen.

Gives me some hope anyway... :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

GFS ensemble temperature average is finally heading south in the longer term. Things are changing fast now. I suspect some mad charts will be appearing in the next few days in FI:D

MT8_Dublin_ens.png

nao.sprd2.gif

ao.sprd2.gif

obama%20hope.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

While Pyongyang is usually cold at this time of year (Dec average max +2C min -7C) it is generally rather dry, recording on average only 5 days with precipitation and a total Dec rain/snow of 16mm.

Thus the fact that it has been snowing fairly constantly since Kim passed away seems to bear out the claim that "the sky knows well of how much he got snowed on during his uninterrupted field guidance tour for the happiness of the people"

The sky continues to deposit much snow on Kim while depriving the snow bunnies here in Ireland of any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Wild Bill wrote: »
    While Pyongyang is usually cold at this time of year (Dec average max +2C min -7C) it is generally rather dry, recording on average only 5 days with precipitation and a total Dec rain/snow of 16mm.

Thus the fact that it has been snowing fairly constantly since Kim passed away seems to bear out the claim that "the sky knows well of how much he got snowed on during his uninterrupted field guidance tour for the happiness of the people"

The sky continues to deposit much snow on Kim while depriving the snow bunnies here in Ireland of any.

I don't think the actual observations will agree that it's been snowing since he died. A few hours today and a couple on the 21st.

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=47075&ano=2011&mes=12&day=28&hora=12&min=0&ndays=30

Su Campu wrote: »
    I don't think the actual observations will agree that it's been snowing since he died. A few hours today and a couple on the 21st.

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=47075&ano=2011&mes=12&day=28&hora=12&min=0&ndays=30

Yes but 5 cm today according to the NK News Agency....

How could they get it wrong? :eek:

Yes but 5 cm today according to the NK News Agency....

How could they get it wrong? :eek:

With a liquid water equivalent of 1.0 mm, so with a 50:1 ratio, extremely light and fluffy snow.

Anyway, enough about North Korea - let's get back on topic!!

Thursday 30th January, 1947 - upper 850hPA temperatures of -16oC right over Ireland....wow! :D

D

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?mode=2&month=1&day=30&year=1947&map=3&hour=12

Max of -0.6c at Phoenix Park that day, and a low of -10.0c. A bit warmer further west with 0.0c max in Newcastle, with a min of -6.1c.

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote: »
    GFS ensemble temperature average is finally heading south in the longer term. Things are changing fast now. I suspect some mad charts will be appearing in the next few days in FI:D

MT8_Dublin_ens.png

nao.sprd2.gif

ao.sprd2.gif

obama%20hope.jpg

Hi DM2, am I reading the above NAO correct in that it is forecast to finally go negative in January 2012?

Also, most people are aware that you are a notorious cold ramper so I have a question for you - are most of your threads based on reality or, as in the picture above, HOPE?

D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mrweatherman

well folks going on a real hunch i cant see ireland getting any real good traffic stopping snow this winter maybe 2012-13 winter period. my guess we will be hit in feb with a nice dusting and cold spell

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

This thread is going to the dogs!!! :(

One minute we're in 2011, the next it's 1947, then it's 2013 and if that was not bad enough for the last few pages half the posts are about North Korea!

Seriously (head wrecking)!

DOCARCH wrote: »

One minute we're in 2011, the next it's 1947, then it's 2013 and if that was not bad enough for the last few pages half the posts are about North Korea!

Seriously (head wrecking)!

But all winter related posts though, except for the North Korea ones I agree :D

Was watching BBC News 24 this morning, and in a report on the funeral of Kim Jong, the reporter added, for no apparent reason, that north Korea was a 'nuclear armed state'. Not sure why that she felt the need to mention that, since the UK is also a nuclear armed state.

DOCARCH wrote: »

.......for the last few pages half the posts are about North Korea!

Well....the thread says "Winter 2011/2012"....it doesn't say where.

North Koreans are people too you know? If it snows they feel the cold. :mad:

Well....the thread says "Winter 2011/2012"....it doesn't say where.

North Koreans are people too you know? If it snows they feel the cold. :mad:

Maybe Korean snowfall should go into the Northern Hemisphere Snow Cover thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Not yet!

But I can demonstrate the missing berries, gone, when the snow fell last week.

IMG_0046-1.jpg

Is that graupel I see......nah...just itsy bitsy snowflakes....

I'm more curious about the berries now since I've witnessed it in a few counties over the Christmas where there are usually more berries and now there are even lesss than 2009 & 2010. The birds don't communicate on a national basis, not that I know of anyway, so what made them decide to hit the holly berries so hard this year?

Joe Public wrote: »
    I'm more curious about the berries now since I've witnessed it in a few counties over the Christmas where there are usually more berries and now there are even lesss than 2009 & 2010. The birds don't communicate on a national basis, not that I know of anyway, so what made them decide to hit the holly berries so hard this year?

Because they were there!

Su Campu wrote: »
    Because they were there!

They were there the previous years also.

They were there the previous years also.

Maybe there is a greater bird population this year? this would increase the demand on the berry market. Although I have no stats to back this up.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    http://www.rfa.org/english/news/korea/funeral-12282011121201.html

I'll get you the words of that song "General, Do not walk on a snowy day" will I. Cheer you up and all. Hang on. ??? :D

What is the relevance of all this **** about North Korea? It has nothing to do with this thread. Can you please post on the Politics forum? Thks

D

Yes, enough about North Korea. I really don't get what's the idea of posting Korean news articles and highlighting references to snow. This thread is about winter in Ireland, so please stick to the topic.

And snowc, cut out the personal insults.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Rain has turned to snow now in Scotland... http://trafficscotland.org/lev/

I'm more curious about the berries now since I've witnessed it in a few counties over the Christmas where there are usually more berries and now there are even less than 2009 & 2010. The birds don't communicate on a national basis, not that I know of anyway, so what made them decide to hit the holly berries so hard this year?

The clearance was near total - of a very bumper crop. They were all eaten in the first two weeks in December (I think).

Last year there was also a bumper crop and they remained untouched through the harsh December - and the following months. In fact many of them decayed on the twig right till the new berries appeared.

It is very mysterious - but maybe it should be taken to the Bird thread or the Berry thread as further discussion is likely to cause upset here.

Where would one start a Bird and Berry thread - there is no botany section so Biology is the closest. Though we never did Holly in Biology back in the day.

Frankly, I'm hopelessly confused as to the best course of action.

Where should I go? :confused:

(No impolite suggestions, please)

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Yeah, Mark Vogan is the guy who claimed that from December 15th 2011 cold would descend on the UK and Ireland and the majority of both islands would be covered with snow by Christmas Day 2011. The reality - we just had one of the mildest Christmas Days on record. And he left it up to the about the 22nd December 2011 before admitting this fact.

Furthermore, he predicted lows of circa -20oC for Glasgow, Scotland in the first 10 days of January 2012. A quick look at the models would indicate to you that there is ZERO chance of this happening.

He keeps confirming that he is "wanting to see" blocking highs and "looking for signs" of a negative AO and NAO - we are all looking for this but the act of looking does not make it happen!! :D Also he "continues to hold onto the belief" that cold will come - I continue to hold onto my belief in the tooth fairy, but guess what? She don't exist! Reality check mate!!

Vogan is a cold ramper. Period. And this colours his forecasts.

He has lost all credibility with me and I would take his forecasts with a huge pinch of salt and not get my hopes up.

Vogan's forecasts are HOPECASTS.

D

Excerpt from Vogan's 2011/2012 UK and Ireland Winter Forecast - issued 31st October 2011

http://markvoganweather.blogspot.com/p/long-range.html

JANUARYThe tough later part of December will set the stage for what may be a severe first 10 to 15 days of January as a strong NEGATIVE NAO (North Atlantic Oscillation & AO (Arctic Oscillation) firmly establishes itself with deep troughs filled with increasingly bitter Arctic air centred from the UK eastwards to Germany.
    Bitterly cold Arctic air may keep us shivering from around New Year through the early part of January once the Atlantic door is shut and Arctic High Pressure settles in. High pressure brings very sunny days, lighter winds but with widespread and possibly deep snow cover, the coldest days and nights of winter will settle in.
    Forecast Highs & Lows for a Selection of UK Towns and Cities
    Inverness High: -4 to -8C Low: -10 to -18C
    Glasgow High: -4 to -8C Low: -12 to -20C
    Edinburgh High: -4 to -8C Low: -12 to -20C
    M'chester High: -3 to -6C Low: -9 to -18C
    Birm'ham High: -3 to -6C Low: -8 to -17C
    London High: -2 to -4C Low: -7 to -12C
    I believe it's possible that during the period of harshest cold, we may see large swaths of of the UK outside of towns and cities which struggle to see highs much warmer than -6 to -10C and nights beneath clear skies, light winds, widespread snowcover and a bitter Arctic air mass in place, lows may dip to -20C or colder as far south as the outer edges of London.

Such areas of Bensen, Oxfordshire, Shap, Cumbria and a selection of Highland cold hallows, we may see lows dip to between -21 and -25C and a possible 2 or two nights taking a run at the UK record of -27C which was recorded at both Altnaharra, Sutherland and Braemar, Aberdeenshire.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

I've been watching his forecasts now for the last month and have to agree that alot of them seem to be "what ifs".

The clearance was near total - of a very bumper crop. They were all eaten in the first two weeks in December (I think).

Last year there was also a bumper crop and they remained untouched through the harsh December - and the following months. In fact many of them decayed on the twig right till the new berries appeared.

It is very mysterious - but maybe it should be taken to the Bird thread or the Berry thread as further discussion is likely to cause upset here.

Where would one start a Bird and Berry thread - there is no botany section so Biology is the closest. Though we never did Holly in Biology back in the day.

Frankly, I'm hopelessly confused as to the best course of action.

Where should I go? :confused:

(No impolite suggestions, please)

The weather in 2011 made for the best crop of holly berries in 70 years according to a few sources.
    Some birds hang out in the stratosphere so maybe they know something or else they saw the 2012 film.
    Unless anyone comes up with more concrete weather related theories then it's probably better to park the berries story for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

i dont forsee a cold january of 2010 proportions at all.

cold and showery with a west to northwest flow keeping temperatures in single figures but because of a lot of wind only minima of minus 5 or 6 during the month.

I would say the snow will hold off this winter only falling on one or two brief occasions in rapid moving low pressure systems.

flow is too mobile this winter with high to the south and lows rolling off it to the north

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Absolutely correct Paul and you were first in with a firm forecast in the competition as well.

Spot of FI for the record.

186528.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement