Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Season 21; the Ups and Downs!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Watching Johnnysmacks game, this is an epic game! I think he has it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

OMG that's heart breaking Johnny.... last kick of the game, hard luck man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Phonehead wrote: »
    OMG that's heart breaking Johnny.... last kick of the game, hard luck man

same deal as my first cup final with ruff few seasons ago, lost in last few seconds. Balls anyway! Ahhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

won the league with two away games

my prize for winning the league. . . getting a crack at fewicur

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Won the bronze final. Possibly the biggest over achievement in a season ever!

:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Gelio wrote: »
    Target: Hold my strong position of 5th place in Div I HK. Also a nice little cup run would be nice if the draw went my way, but league has to be priority.

Hope: Breaking into the top four is the dream in both cup and league.

Fear: There is a very real threat from the newly promoted teams. Never played either of them so don't know what to expect. I could end up in a relegation battle.

Basically I was still in fourth place in round 12 last season, I just need to last two more weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭westman1

won my bronze 53-0 won lineouts 31-6

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

westman1 wrote: »
    won my bronze 53-0 won lineouts 31-6

37 lineouts??? :eek::eek:

Savage amount of kicking/expansive...?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭cclampett

and probably both teams using drift ^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Pretty disappointed with the end of the season, I felt I'd managed the squad well enough into the final with good energy and although I was away, felt I had a real chance. Did a bit of homework on the tactics and opponent but just didn't push him as close as I would have liked, he kept me just outside arms reach for the game, got within a score coming into the last 10 but he pulled away again.

I suppose I cemented my spot at second in the league from the same finish last season, but the challenge now is to avoid plateauing and hopefully be able to push for the top spot next season. I sense bridging the gap from division 3 to division 2 is a difficult leap to make and I'm just below the level I need to be at before I can start looking to push for a spot in the higher league. I think my tactical approach could use some more fine tuning also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

So in a relegation playoff tonight vs Vitamin G. Not looking forward to this...have a bad feeling my lack of tactical knowledge is going to come home to roost :(

anybody want to share what tactics they would play vs Vit G? I reckon his fullback is short & needs targeting, his backline is good, so not sure whether to play drift or MOM against them.

http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/tools.live.scoring.php#fixture=12081173

Also Fewi vs Seanand promo/relegation game too....good ole Boardsie mash up

http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/tools.live.scoring.php#fixture=12081177

• Advertisement

Don't worry I think fewis safe 2 of my best are injured. I'd go drift if I were you and all play a possession game in his half. Targeting a fullback can be risky as if it doesn't work your just throwing away possession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

daheff wrote: »
    So in a relegation playoff tonight vs Vitamin G. Not looking forward to this...have a bad feeling my lack of tactical knowledge is going to come home to roost :(

anybody want to share what tactics they would play vs Vit G? I reckon his fullback is short & needs targeting, his backline is good, so not sure whether to play drift or MOM against them.

http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/tools.live.scoring.php#fixture=12081173

I'm no wizard at tactics myself, but he seems to slightly have an advantage at scrum time and has a decent lineout advantage. So set-piece isn't going to be your friend if you're looking to target it for an advantage, so for that I'd probably look to kick for territory more than touch and definitely look for some up and unders between the two 22's to see if you can get some change off his full-back. (don't over do it though and don't totally neglect touch finding kicks either, just balance them a bit more infield I would suggest) - A big word of warning here though, his back three are very good, so weigh that up against your own, it depends on how much he kicks back, a long kick could be sent back into touch giving you possession further up the field, or if he runs it back, you could be in trouble if your defence isn't right. A rush defence in this instance (I think!) would suit best if playing that sort of territory game...

You're pretty even on rucking and have a half star advantage on maul, but he has about 20kg on weight in the pack, so I think you'll be doing well to get much out of your maul, I'd limit it's use (but try and balance all forms of attack, as barely using one makes you predictable and makes other attacks less effective).

His 7 is his weakest pack player, so consider that when setting tactics. If he's not quite quick or strong or technical enough, some pick and go or width inroads could be made.

In terms of attacking his backline, his weakest area is centre, so maybe some creative play in midfield could be the key to unlocking him...

These are just random observations though, you may decide none of it is any use, but it's a really, really tough one to think of tactics for as it all seems very even. I've just looked at his team, haven't really made comparisons with what you have, but if it's pretty even you might be better off focusing on your own strengths rather than trying to compensate to find ways around his..

@Jackass / Seanand

thanks for your advice. Pretty much thought similar...no adv in the lineout/scrum...so no point targeting that. Even his props are bigger than mine :(

looking at his FB...he doesnt kick it much..so if I target him with kicks he'll prob keep it and run back at me

I'm stumped on how i'll beat him!! might be Div 3 next season.....unless HGA gives me that extra something

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

37-0 up half-time in relegation playoff... will be still division 3 next season...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭cclampett

35-23 down at full-time in qualifier.. will be still division 3 next season...

and beaten on lower intensity too :(

Won 23-3 over Vit G. Another season in Div 2 awaits

Kinda ended up playing no specific tactics in the end! :cool: jammy HGA was the difference so!!!

just looking at stats - I out rucked him and out lineout'd him ....and him with his 208 cm at no 8!!

37-0 up half-time in relegation playoff... will be still division 3 next season...

same here fewi beat me 48-0 :mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Lost to the Browncoats 47-0. Went LTNT but mostly on the assumption I would be hammered no matter what. With my best player at around 17k CSR I am not ready for Div 3. Still prize money helped with construction and advertising for coaches and I get my first minor sponsor so expecting quicker increases next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 throrm

Delighted to have won my qualifier, another season in Div 3 will do my team the world of good

Now I just need to find a replacement prop and wing..

Advertisement