Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Opinions on Educate Together

• 31-07-2012 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I have signed my daughter up for Educate Together and I was wondering if any other parents could let me know their opinions on the school. I chose it because I don't want her in a school that is under the influence of the catholic church. I'm afraid, though, that in doing this I will be jepordising her chance of a proper education by sending her to a school that isn't well established and may not have the same facilities as other schools. I would love to be wrong about this and I would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Hiya, I'm not a parent but I recently did work placement in ET and can tell you that your child would definitely get a proper education there. They might not look like much at the moment, but are moving to a new premises next year and I'm sure the facilities will improve when they move (Although there's nothing wrong with the facilities they have now).

It's a great learning environment for the children IMO, the teachers are wonderful and patient and the Principal is always accomodating for any parent who wants to meet with her, hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Friend has her daughter in educate together in wexford and she loves it. As in the mother loves it because its not religous. All I hear from her is its great because of the religious thing but she never mentions anything about the actual learning her child is getting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Friend has her daughter in educate together in wexford and she loves it. As in the mother loves it because its not religous. All I hear from her is its great because of the religious thing but she never mentions anything about the actual learning her child is getting

So its a good school because theres no religious ethos???????!!!!!!

7upfree wrote: »
    So its a good school because theres no religious ethos???????!!!!!!

Basically my friend bangs on about it being good because her daughter doesn't have to do religion. That's all I can get out of her.
    The friend is so anti religious , she's more ramming atheism down yer throat than anything.
    So basiically all I know is its anti religion and never heard a thing about actual education.

That's only going by mates opinion.

Personly. I went to de la salle primary and secondary. In primary we had to learn all the religious stuff. Didn't really get hassle if we didn't Nd that's 20 years ago. Secondary , one of the lads wasn't religious and he just studied inrelugion class and had no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

So basiically all I know is its anti religion and never heard a thing about actual education.

Educate together are secular, not anti-religious, and your friend's hangups aren't exactly a useful response.

I did an interview with the principal of an educate together school once, the whole environment was great. Obviously I didn't take part in any of the actual education but there was a really good atmosphere. The common room had a big colourful poster on it that said "My Rights and Responsibilities" which is such a healthy and refreshing contrast to pictures of Jesus and lists of rules.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

^^ educate together is not anti religion. It's neutral.

smcgiff wrote: »
    ^^ educate together is not anti religion. It's neutral.

I'm only going by my friends opinion. She is anti religion.
    I agree with you.

Zillah wrote: »
    Educate together are secular, not anti-religious, and your friend's hangups aren't exactly a useful response.

I did an interview with the principal of an educate together school once, the whole environment was great. Obviously I didn't take part in any of the actual education but there was a really good atmosphere. The common room had a big colourful poster on it that said "My Rights and Responsibilities" which is such a healthy and refreshing contrast to pictures of Jesus and lists of rules.
    Yeah I agree with you. I'm just going my mates opinion.. personally idlove to know what they are really like and she is the only person I know who has a child n one .
    Sorry bout spemling and stuff. Dirt on me touch screen and can't find it lol. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

My friend's children went to ET Waterford, one still there and she's happy with it. It is known as the hippy school and there are a number of families that could do with being introduced to soap and water but that's the families lifestyle choice rather than the school's.

They will get an education so don't worry on that but the one thing I've heard from a number of people in different schools is that children may get a bit of a bigger culture shock when they start secondary school where the ethos is completely different. I believe there are plans for an Educate Together secondary school.

One thing to be aware of is parental involvement is encouraged a lot more than in religious based schools which can be a good thing but it can also lead to some of the mouthier parents trying to push their own agenda. There's also a lot more fundraising.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

deisemum wrote: »
    ....there are a number of families that could do with being introduced to soap and water but that's the families lifestyle choice rather than the school's.

Agreed, in fairness you can get that in any school, :)
    They will get an education so don't worry on that but the one thing I've heard from a number of people in different schools is that children may get a bit of a bigger culture shock when they start secondary school where the ethos is completely different. I believe there are plans for an Educate Together secondary school.

They recently got the go ahead for opening two up in Dublin I believe and also with the changes regarding catholic patronage for schools looking to change there's a chance this may not be a issue for people in a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Not an opinion but an overview of a few families I know whose kid's go to Educate together, there is no such word as No in their vocabularly, such wild uncontrolled little tykes I have ever come accross. Not once have I heard a parent correct one of the children or tell them you cannot do that, even in someone else's house. The only common denominater these three families have is the kids go to the same school.
    Or maybe I am getting more curmudgeonly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Not an opinion but an overview of a few families I know whose kid's go to Educate together, there is no such word as No in there vocabularly, such wild uncontrolled little tykes I have ever come accross. Not once have I heard a parent correct one of the children or tell them you cannot do that, even in someone else's house. The only common denominater these three families have is the kids go to the same school.
    Or maybe I am getting more curmudgeonly

Ha ha ha, I thought you were always curmudgeonly?! ;):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 newtotown

My son (6) has been going to Educate Together since we moved back to Ireland in February -- he's been in senior infants and is due to begin class 1 the end of August. While I'm strongly atheist, ET wasn't my first choice -- but all other schools were full and the waiting lists were ridiculously long. I needed to get my son in school so off to ET he went. I was put off by the ugly old building and lack of outside areas, but I'm told they're moving to a new building next year -- although I don't yet know where that's going to be. Hopefully not too far from the town as I don't drive and currently get the bus into town then walk.

At first he had a lot of trouble with some kids there and found it really difficult to settle in, but that has since blown over (save for one horrible kid whose mother doesn't know how to discipline him) and he's now happy there. He's learning at a steady rate. His reading and writing has come on leaps and bounds, his maths is brilliant, etc. I wish they would discuss more history & geography topics, as he was learning about all sorts in his last school in England, but I understand they don't begin all that until after senior infants. The focus these past few months has been very much on developing the language of the senior infants with writing, reading, comprehension, etc -- basically readying them for class 1 and "proper" learning. They're also encouraged to develop their own feelings, communication, etc -- to the point where there was even a section in his end of year report marking him on how well he effectively communicates his feelings. This, I feel, is a bit too "hippie" for my liking, but it doesn't seem to be doing him any damage and he's getting in a lot less arguments with other kids at school, so I suppose it's beneficial.

There isn't much by way of PE or any kind of physical activity yet -- I don't know if that's because they don't have the facilities in this crappy temp building, or because junior/senior infants aren't pushed into sports, but it's worth noting that when he comes home, he's full of pent-up energy and generally goes out with his mates in the estate here to run around for a good couple of hours. The only outside space is that tiny little courtyard in front of the school and kids that age need more than that to burn energy.

There are no religious teachings, obviously (which I'm glad about), and at age 6 he's already being taught sex/health education. *Not* about sex itself -- last month the topic was the womb. Some people will be put off by their kids learning that kind of thing so young, but I'm just as open with him at home, so it's not a bother for me personally.

The school does try to get the parents involved a lot. Whenever there are events going on, parents are asked to contribute. There are regular coffee mornings and informal parent meetings (I've never been to them). The "voluntary" contribution and price of books/materials can possibly be too steep for some parents, but I understand you can split it over several instalments. There isn't a school uniform to purchase and maintain -- kids wear their own clothes, which I think ends up more expensive in the long run. I'm having to buy my son new clothes so often because he wrecks them at school with various paints, grubbiness, scraping his knees on that concrete courtyard, etc.

The lunch rules are a bit annoying. There's a very strict list of things he's allowed and not allowed in his lunch and any breaking of that rule will result in a letter home. I don't feed my kid a lot of junk but some of what they consider junk is ridiculous and you have to get really creative in order to give your child a bit of variety.

Do I think my son is in the best school for his needs? It's impossible to tell in infants/senior infants. Class 1 & 2 will be telling and at the end of next year I will be assessing the situation and sitting him down to ask if he's happy to stay on there or if he'd rather change. He would still be young enough to have time to settle in a new school, but obviously I'd rather avoid that if I can, as he's already changed schools this year. But for now I'm happy with his progress and looking forward to seeing how he gets on over the coming year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

/\ interesting post,
    They're also encouraged to develop their own feelings, communication, etc -- to the point where there was even a section in his end of year report marking him on how well he effectively communicates his feelings. This, I feel, is a bit too "hippie" for my liking, but it doesn't seem to be doing him any damage and he's getting in a lot less arguments with other kids at school, so I suppose it's beneficial.

I'd say that was something I could have done with as a little kid, glad they do this kind of thing.

Until ET are properly supported and develop secondary schools, the education environment is not going to be one worthy of a developed country.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

My daughter will be starting this fall in the Educate Together and I'm delighted for her to be going there. We are not religious and I wasn't about to make her feel like she was some weird outcast. I'm not having her sit in a class teaching her what we believe are untruths, coming home and then having to explain that she can trust the school to teach her the truth about other stuff, but not that. Or worse, have her sit out of class (which I hear rarely get followed through on) and be left out. With Educate Together she'll learn about all the world religions and cultures without emphasis on any particular religion as being true. This is important enough to us to choose Educate Together. The ET in Waterford follows a fairly mainstream sort of curriculum-- many of the teachers are from a typical primary school background anyways. Honestly, without the ET option we'd likely attempt homeschooling (which isn't something I ever thought I'd consider). It's not all hippy-dippys, and honestly I'd rather my kids go to school with a few hippy types than the kind of kids they could go to school with. One thing you can feel good about is that most people have gone out of their way to put their kids names down for the ET, so they mostly all do care about their kids education and how the school is doing.
    Your child will be at an advantage, not a disadvantage. The new building site is out the road toward gracedieu around carrickpherrish.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bookworms

It's not all hippy-dippys, and honestly I'd rather my kids go to school with a few hippy types than the kind of kids they could go to school with. QUOTE]

So by your reasoning what "kind" of child goes to a school other than ET. Quite a sweeping statement there. Do I detect a hint of elitism?

I did not choose to send my children to ET, by your implication does that make them less desirable to be friends/class mates with your children?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

It's not all hippy-dippys, and honestly I'd rather my kids go to school with a few hippy types than the kind of kids they could go to school with.

So those "kind of kids" only go to other schools ? Explain ?
    One thing you can feel good about is that most people have gone out of their way to put their kids names down for the ET, so they mostly all do care about their kids education and how the school is doing.

That's a ridiculous argument as it's the same for all parents regardless of the schools their children attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Does ET adopt the child centred education model?

My daughter will be starting this fall in the Educate Together and I'm delighted for her to be going there. We are not religious and I wasn't about to make her feel like she was some weird outcast. I'm not having her sit in a class teaching her what we believe are untruths, coming home and then having to explain that she can trust the school to teach her the truth about other stuff, but not that. Or worse, have her sit out of class (which I hear rarely get followed through on) and be left out. With Educate Together she'll learn about all the world religions and cultures without emphasis on any particular religion as being true. This is important enough to us to choose Educate Together. The ET in Waterford follows a fairly mainstream sort of curriculum-- many of the teachers are from a typical primary school background anyways. Honestly, without the ET option we'd likely attempt homeschooling (which isn't something I ever thought I'd consider). It's not all hippy-dippys, and honestly I'd rather my kids go to school with a few hippy types than the kind of kids they could go to school with. One thing you can feel good about is that most people have gone out of their way to put their kids names down for the ET, so they mostly all do care about their kids education and how the school is doing.
    Your child will be at an advantage, not a disadvantage. The new building site is out the road toward gracedieu around carrickpherrish.

Your post comes across as a bit snobbish really.

Are you really trying to say that no school in Waterford (besides ET) would have been suitable for your child?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

....One thing you can feel good about is that most people have gone out of their way to put their kids names down for the ET, so they mostly all do care about their kids education and how the school is doing.
    Your child will be at an advantage, not a disadvantage.

Although your comment is going to (and clearly has) upset some users here from what your saying i can only assume you perhaps mean....

That when it comes to schools often parents just put their kid into the local school because its local and its what was done with them,

This is more often the case even if they (the parents) are not in anyway religious they will still send their kid to a religious school because its the "done thing" and they'll do the communion thing because its the done thing, again even though they don't believe a word of it.

This is kind of concerning when you think about it as your putting your kid into a system where they are expected to believe in a religion that you yourself do not believe in.

By going with ET you are taking a more active role and interest in your kids upbringing and the long term implications of your choice of school.

Least thats my take on your comment....
    Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Are you really tyring to say that you felt no school in Waterford would have been suitable for your child?

angelfalling mentioned she wasn't religious and didn't want their kid being an outcast in a religious school,

So unless you know of any other school in Waterford other then ET that doesn't push religion on the kids?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Yes Cabaal, I reached them same conclusion from angelfallings post as you did. I don't think she meant anything in a snobbish way, just that any downsides she could see to ET are alleviated by certain upsides!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bookworms

Some parents are not in a position to bring their child miles out of their way to bring them to the local ET school. Sometimes the local school is the only option due to work commitments, child care and transport costs (where applicable).

I think when other patrons are in charge of more National Schools (like VECs or soon to be ETBs) then things should improve. Hopefully snobbish/elitist comments like these will be things of the past. I certaintly take great offense at previous comments implying that the kinds of students that don't go to ET are not as good as those who do.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Although your comment is going to (and clearly has) upset some users here from what your saying i can only assume you perhaps mean....

That when it comes to schools often parents just put their kid into the local school because its local and its what was done with them,

This is more often the case even if they (the parents) are not in anyway religious they will still send their kid to a religious school because its the "done thing" and they'll do the communion thing because its the done thing, again even though they don't believe a word of it.

This is kind of concerning when you think about it as your putting your kid into a system where they are expected to believe in a religion that you yourself do not believe in.

By going with ET you are taking a more active role and interest in your kids upbringing and the long term implications of your choice of school.

Least thats my take on your comment....

angelfalling mentioned she wasn't religious and didn't want their kid being an outcast in a religious school,

So unless you know of any other school in Waterford other then ET that doesn't push religion on the kids?

AFAIK, religous education is mandatory in Ireland.

ET schools do teach religion, but they don't stick with one, they teach several of them.

AFAIK, religous education is mandatory in Ireland.

ET schools do teach religion, but they don't stick with one, they teach several of them.

Not sure if its the case, but to be honest even if it is then ET would still be the most suitable school for a non-religious family so they simply become aware of other faiths rather then one being forced upon their child.

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Yes Cabaal, I reached them same conclusion from angelfallings post as you did.

Actually just to add, another aspect of ET that could be a factor over other schools is the whole parents being involved, sure parents can choose not to be but if your looking at ET it might be a factor.

with standard schools many (certainly not all) parents simply see them as the next step from a creche...that is somewhere to just put their kid while at work.

Of course what many parents fail to understand is that both on a creche level and primary level education is important as it helps a child develop and parental involvement can also be very important too.
    bookworms wrote: »
    Some parents are not in a position to bring their child miles out of their way to bring them to the local ET school. Sometimes the local school is the only option due to work commitments, child care and transport costs (where applicable).

Your spot on, outside of many citys and major towns there are simply no ET schools to look at as an option.
    I think when other patrons are in charge of more National Schools (like VECs or soon to be ETBs) then things should improve.

With any luck yes as things change choices will improve, its only right in our modern multicultural society,

Not sure if its the case, but to be honest even if it is then ET would still be the most suitable school for a non-religious family so they simply become aware of other faiths rather then one being forced upon their child.

I disagree, if you don't want one religion to be forced on your child, why would you want several?
    With any luck yes as things change choices will improve, its only right in our modern multicultural society,

How is that working out for the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

From what I've heard about the ET schools, if I had children I'd much rather send them to a religious school. Sure, you may not have the same beliefs as the school and feel they're pushing their beliefs on your child. But realistically, by sending your child to an ET school because you're anti-religious and want your child to be that way is exactly the same thing you feel a religious school would do?

I'd much rather a child go to a normal school, learn religion and then have their own choice on whether they want to believe it or not, than send them to a newly formed school which in reality is going to outcast them in secondary school, as the ethos that an ET school follows is vastly different to regular primary and secondary schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

Don't take my comments out of context. This person wants to hear reasons to feel good about their choice with ET. I've given it to them. ET isn't one of the schools many people treat as their "local" so they don't just go with it. I don't mean to say that other parents don't pick and choose their schools, just that ET parents generally have. I don't mean to say that there are horrible children at other national schools (bookworm, when did I say that ET kids are better??), just that the reputation of having a few "hippy dippy" kids isn't a bad thing! Surely there is worse to have your kids around?

And no, there would be no other school I feel would be suitable besides the ET for my child, because we are not religious. Like I said before, obviously I encourage education about religions, but not indoctrination into one that we are not a part of.

Avox, non-religious is not the same as anti-religious. ET is secular. They do not preach against religion, they just don't indoctrinate children to believe one religion is correct. You are so very wrong in saying a child going to a "normal" school (by the way, ET is a national school just like all the Catholic schools, its perfectly normal with a normal curriculum) gives children the ability to choose whatever they want to believe--- it TELLS them what to believe, and if you are lucky your child might question that. ET doesn't tell any child to be religious OR non-religious, they leave those sort of decisions up to parents to address at home. On a side, Finnbarr-- ET just informs children about various religions in relation to culture... so I don't really feel its indoctrination in any way to be informed.

ET kids rarely have any trouble continuing on to secondary level education in other schools... its not that vastly different of an approach. How would you know, exactly, given the fact you say "if you had kids"? Given the growth in the number of ET schools kids, you can see the success rate has been just fine.

I disagree, if you don't want one religion to be forced on your child, why would you want several?

There's a difference between being "aware" of religions and having a religion being forced upon you and other religions basically labeled as nonsense.
    How is that working out for the UK?

UK is a different kettle of fish, vast majority of the influx of cultures into the uk were massive and due to the british empire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

I really feel people put too much emphasis on the effect teachings in primary or secondary have on kids. It is down to the parents view and interaction with religion rather than what they are taught in school.

I am a secondary teacher and last year we were up in the church for I think a Christmas mass or something and there were some 15 year olds that didnt know what to do with communion bread, they kept it in their hands and looked around to see what to do.
    These are children that went to a religious primary and secondary school.

I did also and my mother brought us to mass every Saturday until i was probably 16, however teachings etc were not forced on us. I had no interest in being there and have not gone since as for me it is not part of my life.
    Again I cam from a religious primary and secondary.

Yes one religion is focused on in "standard" primary schools, however in reality it makes little or no difference to us when we grow older. We do not feel forced to follow the "rules" as someone mentioned earlier.

I have spoken with an ET teacher from Dublin in the past and one point they made to me was that some of the ET parents were so obsessed with being atheist that they were quite forceful with their views and were actually not one bit open to other view points on religious and other things outside of religion, almost being contradictory towards the ethos they say they stand for. (not sure is it the same in Waterford but it was just an interesting viewpoint in relation to the religious aspect of the school form his point of view)

Advertisement