Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England v Ireland St Patricks Day 2012

• 11-03-2012 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭HappyBalance

After both teams had impressive performances over the weekend, who do you fancy? Will the fact its on Paddy's Day make a difference?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It being on Paddys day will make no difference.

I think we'll win too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Paddy's day will have no effect. Home advantage will have an effect. Right now I'm thinking England by about 5

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If you asked me this morning I would have been confident. Now I'm positively terrified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

France were very very poor today, much worse than when we met them

Still think we'll win. Our defense is the best in the championship atm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

England have improved, they'll beat you in Twickers, Paddy's day will make no difference..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    France were very very poor today, much worse than when we met them

I'm not so sure they were. England just managed to keep playing rugby and not let France come back into the game (and even then it was about as close as our game).

I'm not really sure what to think of Ireland at the moment. They certainly don't fill me with confidence that they'll be able to go away to England and get a victory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'm not so sure they were. England just managed to keep playing rugby and not let France come back into the game (and even then it was about as close as our game).

I'm not really sure what to think of Ireland at the moment. They certainly don't fill me with confidence that they'll be able to go away to England and get a victory.

Look at the errors in Frances game today, over a dozen handling errors compared to one last weekend

They were poor both weekends but worse today I think

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭phog

If you asked me this morning I would have been confident. Now I'm positively terrified.

England have improved but France were very poor today, on another day their have won that game. How many times have you seen a french team not pass when the pass was one, pass straight into touch, not score when the opposition were down to 14.

I still think Ireland can win but it's got more difficult, missing Gert Smal, BOD, POC and Murray since the 6Ns began and I think Best wont be 100% even after ebing subbed yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Tough one to call. Should be a good game. At this point I'd just be happy with no injuries though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Wales won there playing pretty poorly, I'd say we have more than a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

I wasn't that impressed with England today. If we bring the intensity which we know we have I just think we have far better players

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Blackheath

Tom Craft had a very big game for England today, he will take stopping

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Blackheath

Blackheath wrote: »
    Croft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Wouldn't be a patch on Ferris. I'd worry about Morgan more

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I think we'll win tbh. They were impressive today but I don't think that they can match us if we play to the top of our game. Obviously getting to that level but we've been moving in the right direction and we do tend to step it up against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Paddy Power have us as 3 point underdogs in the handicap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Like to think Ireland will sneak it but its a coin toss really. Ireland/Wales Wales/England Ireland/France England/France were all up for grabs in the last play of the game.

Ireland +3 is good for a bet as is France +6 against Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

He only has one very big game in every 12 games. Luckily for us thats out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭HappyBalance

Would it be to early to call Wallace up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

MungBean wrote: »
    Like to think Ireland will sneak it but its a coin toss really. Ireland/Wales Wales/England Ireland/France England/France were all up for grabs in the last play of the game.

Ireland +3 is good for a bet as is France +6 against Wales.

I agree. England, Ireland, Wales, France all about the same. All of them coin tosses

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Would it be to early to call Wallace up?

He'll need the 3 weeks between now and the HEC quarter final to be up to the required fitness for that match. Next week will be another level of intensity higher than the QF. He'd be way out of his depth for next week and, to be honest, I would be disappointed to see someone dropped for him. He's 36 in a few months and not someone we should be looking to bring back in. The current options are doing well and will continue to improve with more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭redmca2

England for sure will have a lot of confidence but they won against a very poor France. I can't see them knocking any dents in the Welsh march towards a Grand Slam.
    We have an extra recovery day and I disagree about Paddy's Day not being a factor - it will be a super day for our supporters many of whom will be UK residents. That can't be a bad thing.
    I would expect us to win but only just.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭HappyBalance

I actually hope France beat Wales which means England will play for the championship albeit an outside chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Think England would have to beat Ireland by 30+ points to be in with a chance of the title. Don't see that happening. Think they will take us though

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Think England would have to beat Ireland by 30+ points to be in with a chance of the title. Don't see that happening. Think they will take us though

France and England have to win by a combined total of 38. Unlikely, but not impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bm1993

I think we'll win tbh. IMO the front 5 and three-quarters are fairly even but we have the better back row and half backs.

Really depends what Ireland turns up though. If we play like we did in the first half against France we'll win, if we play like we did against Wales we'll lose. But because it's England on Paddy's day I think we'll bring the level of intensity required and win by a score.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Podge_irl wrote: »
    France and England have to win by a combined total of 38. Unlikely, but not impossible.

I am actually really glad you put that into words so perfectly. I was really struggling to explain it to my uncle earlier. "England have to beat us by 38 minus whatever France beat Wales by"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

I think Ireland will win this by a try.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I am actually really glad you put that into words so perfectly. I was really struggling to explain it to my uncle earlier. "England have to beat us by 38 minus whatever France beat Wales by"

No problem.

Nice to know my 7 years of mathematical training didn't go completely wasted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭cp

bm1993 wrote: »
    I think we'll win tbh. IMO the front 5 and three-quarters are fairly even but we have the better back row and half backs.

Have to say I'm really looking forward to some of these battles, in particular the half backs. Been very impressed by Dickson and Farrell - his kicking from hand wasn't great yesterday, but all in all for a player playing only his second international game at 10, he seems to have a great head on his shoulders. His offload for the Tuilagi try was excellent. With opposites like Priestland and Beauxis its easy to look good but, IMO, Farrell v Sexton is a straight shootout for the Lions 10

Also think the Earls V Tuilagi & Ferris V Croft battles will have a big say in how this game goes....

Advertisement