Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is this white pole for?

Options
  • 09-06-2014 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

An odd one for ye;

310334.jpg

and I think it's located at teh side of the road here. Can't quite figure out what it is, though. Could anyone tell me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

the_syco wrote: »
    An odd one for ye;

310334.jpg

and I think it's located at teh side of the road here. Can't quite figure out what it is, though. Could anyone tell me?

Gas pipeline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Vent for sewer main?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Vent for sewer main?

They're for the Natural Gas network, monitors I think, (it even says GAS on that yellow label wrapped around it). You'll see them running along the natural gas mains.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

thought it was a cover to stop you getting wet while ya had a puff or 2:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

To tell us all when theres a new pope..

But no its for gas, Mainly there to tell builders not to dig!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is there 2 different gas line markers ?
    Think I've seen a marker with a red and white top as well as the white ones in photo on the same line... Maybe not ?
    I'll check next I'm walking kids to school ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Timfy

There are several different markers... the white disc as seen in the op, a red/white one and a fluorescent orange one. The large, coloured tops are so as helicopter maintenance teams can easily follow the pipelines route.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

They are for the high pressure transmission pipelines, these markers are usually and road crossings, or boundary's between fields. Before that one, they were black, and going way back they were made of timber, similar to a stile.

Advertisement