Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Wake Coming to PC

• 13-12-2011 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Well isn't this excellent news!

Granted I've already played it and completed it on the 360 but I'm guessing they'll probably pull out a game of the year edition and throw in all of the DLC along with it to make up for the fact PC gamers never got to experience it. It'll look fantastic!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It was originally coming to the PC when it was announced in 2005

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Today on After Thoughts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I remember playing it when I got a 360, the makers of the game clearly had the same taste in music as me because I was playing David Bowie in the background and then the same song came on in-game. :D But overall i'm not if I was a major fan of it. It was interesting but I think it failed to deliver, although I never finished so I make give it another during the holidays. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

tuxy wrote: »
    It was originally coming to the PC when it was announced in 2005

If only the'd make the game they originally intended, before it got consolitis
    http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/6523

• Registered Users Posts: 29,430 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

will look into this when its out on pc. so is it like a silent hill type game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    If only the'd make the game they originally intended, before it got consolitis
    http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/6523
    Yes, consolitis. Because the 360 doesn't have multiple cores, can't handle real time streaming of data, doesn't use the CPU to prepare data for the GPU and has never had one of its cores used exclusively for physics in a game.

Oh...wait, none of that is true.

The main thing Alan Wake suffered from was a turbulent development which saw their original design for an open world game changed to a more linear experience. If you had played the game, which I can only assume you haven't after the above comment since everything shown in the above video actually made it into the released game, you'd know that an open world game wouldn't have really suited it. Sure you could have opened up some free form travelling between key areas but in terms of creating the type of experience they were looking for, it would have been largely redundant.

If you want to really talk about consolitis, you could mention the fact that the game runs at a sub-HD resolution, the fact that their lighting solution doesn't work well indoors and the fact it runs at 30fps. None of these really affect the enjoyment of the game though.

All that being said, despite having played through the game and its DLC on the 360, I'll definitely pick it up on the PC for a second playthrough. ****ing love Remedy and hopefully the increased sales for the PC version will do them some good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I thought it was a pretty good game tbh ! Nothing out of this world, but one of the best xbox exclusives anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

This is great news, assuming (and this may be a big assumption) they don't give us a ****ty console port. And i'm not saying that in a 'consoles are **** way' (which i don't agree with btw). But i'd hope for higer resolutions, properly designed pc controls etc...

I'd been meaning to pick it up recently, but will wait and see what they do with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

to late, why do companies expect to see a profit from these games when there released so late after the console versions, anyone who wanted to play that game probably has by now, what makes it worse is they will still try to charge full price for it....and then moan about how pc games dont sell :rolleyes:

to late, why do companies expect to see a profit from these games when there released so late after the console versions, anyone who wanted to play that game probably has by now, what makes it worse is they will still try to charge full price for it....and then moan about how pc games dont sell :rolleyes:
    In this case the game was published by Microsoft who probably insisted on the game remaining exclusive to 360 for a period of time. Since its release their relatively small team has had two DLC packs, a remake of their first game Death Rally for iOS devices and the recently announced Alan Wake American Nightmare to work on so, between said deal and the time it would take to port the game over, it would certainly take this long for any kind of news to appear.

As for the price to charge, the game is only out 18 months, still looks and plays great and will cost a decent amount to port over so it certainly doesn't deserve a budget release. Also something to bear in mind, the game only sold a little over a million copies, the majority of which, I'd imagine from looking at the price drops, came in at a considerably lower price point. Given this I think it's fair to assume they're not rolling around in royalties. I'd imagine it'll come in at the £29.99 mark on Steam, a perfectly fair price imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Yeah, I hope they manage their expectations. The fear is they will jump to the wrong conclusions if the game doesn't perform well.

"People wanted it on PC. We spent the money to make it. It didn't sell. We were right not to bother with PC a year and a half ago."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Alan Wake. Huh; in it's time it was another little Duke Nuken Forever, floating around the halls of gaming like the vaporware it seemed to be.

Was the final game actually any good? I can't recall it at all, and certainly too lazy to check out reviews. All I can remember is Yahtzee giving it a paddling in one of his video reviews, that's about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it wasn't amazing, but it was a pretty damn good game and a very good "experience".

also has the honour of being one of the few games with a truly ****ing hilarious sidekick

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,694 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

pixelburp wrote: »
    Alan Wake. Huh; in it's time it was another little Duke Nuken Forever, floating around the halls of gaming like the vaporware it seemed to be.

Was the final game actually any good? I can't recall it at all, and certainly too lazy to check out reviews. All I can remember is Yahtzee giving it a paddling in one of his video reviews, that's about it.

Yahtzee will give anything a paddling, he'snot someone you should base what you buy on :)

It's a decent enough game from what I played. Main problems was it got repetitive and thought it was far cleverer than it really was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

gizmo wrote: »
    Yes, consolitis. Because the 360 doesn't have multiple cores, can't handle real time streaming of data, doesn't use the CPU to prepare data for the GPU and has never had one of its cores used exclusively for physics in a game.

Oh...wait, none of that is true.

The main thing Alan Wake suffered from was a turbulent development which saw their original design for an open world game changed to a more linear experience. If you had played the game, which I can only assume you haven't after the above comment since everything shown in the above video actually made it into the released game, you'd know that an open world game wouldn't have really suited it. Sure you could have opened up some free form travelling between key areas but in terms of creating the type of experience they were looking for, it would have been largely redundant.

If you want to really talk about consolitis, you could mention the fact that the game runs at a sub-HD resolution, the fact that their lighting solution doesn't work well indoors and the fact it runs at 30fps. None of these really affect the enjoyment of the game though.

All that being said, despite having played through the game and its DLC on the 360, I'll definitely pick it up on the PC for a second playthrough. ****ing love Remedy and hopefully the increased sales for the PC version will do them some good. :)

Well we're going to find out just how consolised it got, remember the pc version was pulled very late into production, it was Microsofts decision, they were the publisher and wanted a 360 exclusive. Like I said, I want to see this in all it's glory at 1920x1200 on the powerful multicore pc they told me I'd need.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Well we're going to find out just how consolised it got, remember the pc version was pulled very late into production, it was Microsofts decision, they were the publisher and wanted a 360 exclusive. Like I said, I want to see this in all it's glory at 1920x1200 on the powerful multicore pc they told me I'd need.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I raged when they said it wasn't coming to the PC too. If it had been an actual technical reason then I could understand but to suddenly make it a platform exclusive for no reason other than to give your console an exclusive that year was a slap in the face to those of us who had been looking forward to it for nearly 5 years.

Performance wise I'm confident it'll be good though, as you said the PC version was canned pretty late in development which should mean the engine will be fairly well optimised for the PC. The multiple cores they were referring to in that video were in a C2Q chip so we should be covered on that side. My only worry is on the art side. If I remember correctly most of the artwork for the game was outsourced so heres hoping the original high res assets are still around. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

The fact that people actually think 'consolitis' is a real thing is depressing.

i wouldnt call it that but there definitely is a dumbing down of games occurring due to the large increase in casual gamers, which mostly play some console or another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

i wouldnt call it that but there definitely is a dumbing down of games occurring due to the large increase in casual gamers, which mostly play some console or another

Of course, I wouldn't call it a real-term, but there's quite obviously differences in the same product on the different platforms.

I thought Alan Wake though was very enjoyable, I'll prob play through it again on pc as I never bothered with the dlc packs.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

It does exist from a technical point of view.

How much it affects gameplay is debatable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Azza wrote: »
    How much it affects gameplay is debatable.

I wouldn't see it affecting gameplay at all, some of the greatest games of all time have graphics/complexity that is nothing by todays standards.

yeah skyrim is a pretty prime example of how to streamline things without making them worse, morrowind is a more complex game than it but id rate the two of them about the same,

dragon age 2 :mad: is an example of trying to get CoD crowd with their "push a button something awesome happens" mantra

anyone else feel worried that me3 is going the way of DA2 when you hear shepeard say "oh ****" in the new trailer :D maybe its just me losing all my long founded confidence in bioware

I am also deeply fucking confused at how moving away from making impenetrable number-crunching fests to cater for a very specific subset of nerds is a bad thing.

Well graphics aren't that important, good gameplay is, but it would nice to have both.

But you could look at Crysis 2 and say that the smaller levels decreased the number of tactics you could employee. Or that the smaller levels in Deus Ex Invisible War hurt the immersion factor, making the world seem alot less believable.

But the term is overused anyway. I take alot of what is blamed on consoles is just an attempt for developers to appeal to the mass market.

The COD series which is often accussed as being a dumb shooter series, plays the same as the first COD did which was of course orginally a PC game.

I am also deeply fucking confused at how moving away from making impenetrable number-crunching fests to cater for a very specific subset of nerds is a bad thing.

notice how i said that i liked both morrowind and skyrim equally when skyrim is outwardly a much simpler same, the difference in a good games quality is the effort put into making it, drivel like da2 and CoD are just a way to make an easy buck, in fact most fps are these days.

I personally blame the devs and not the consoles for trying to cater to the ever growing casual crowd and forgetting who supported them and made them what they are today

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

yeah skyrim is a pretty prime example of how to streamline things without making them worse, morrowind is a more complex game than it but id rate the two of them about the same,

dragon age 2 :mad: is an example of trying to get CoD crowd with their "push a button something awesome happens" mantra

anyone else feel worried that me3 is going the way of DA2 when you hear shepeard say "oh ****" in the new trailer :D maybe its just me losing all my long founded confidence in bioware

I was just about to mention Dragons Age 2 :p.

Crysis 2 is an enigma as well, the controls I felt were actually a decent improvement over the original, but the game itself was much poorer overall (Boyth really just my opnion of course).

It certainly got labeled with the term 'consolitis' as a result (a term that makes me cringe TBH), which was certainly not a fair description as there really was no technical reasons why the levels were so much much less open (the fact that the original is available on XBLA is testament to this). That they decided to make it a much more linear, scripted set piece game, really had nothing to do with the fact that it was a multiplatform game but more about appeal.

The rest of the critisim was mainly down to a lack of polish put into the PC version (in terms of UI, graphics options, mouse accleration etc), this is certainly a real phenomon in many PC games, but in that case the blame lies solely at the door of game developers consoles.

I am also deeply ****ing confused at how moving away from making impenetrable number-crunching fests to cater for a very specific subset of nerds is a bad thing.

Because rock paper scissors gets boring after a while.

Like saying football is too hard. I want to able to play it with out putting effort into learning it. To that end I want the goals made 50% bigger and the ball to auto track towards the goal.

notice how i said that i liked both morrowind and skyrim equally when skyrim is outwardly a much simpler same, the difference in a good games quality is the effort put into making it, drivel like da2 and CoD are just a way to make an easy buck, in fact most fps are these days.

But DA 2 is better than it's predecessor, so.....

But leaving that subjective nonsense aside, all I get from this is it's less got to do with a simple "I did not care for this game/trend/genre" and more perpetuating a myth that people who self-identify as 'gamers' or 'hardcore' rather than 'casual' are some kind of downtrodden underclass, fighting the good fight or something other persecution fantasy.

It's bizarre.
    I personally blame the devs and not the consoles for trying to cater to the ever growing casual crowd and forgetting who supported them and made them what they are today

They owe you nothing, don't be absurd.

Azza wrote: »
    Because rock paper scissors gets boring after a while.

Like saying football is too hard. I want to able to play it with out putting effort into learning it. To that end I want the goals made 50% bigger and the ball to auto track towards the goal.

Do you actually think that's a valid comparison?
    I'm asking because it doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to one so I'm curious as to whether this is Poe's law in action or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

gizmo wrote: »
    In this case the game was published by Microsoft who probably insisted on the game remaining exclusive to 360 for a period of time.
    I don't know why Microsoft don't find some way of making the PC their more powerful xbox. With games for windows and steam it's getting harder to pirate games on PC, I'd say it's not worse than consoles anyway, I don't really pirate games though, for some reason their the only thing I have no problems paying for, well I might if I was paying console prices for games.

Microsoft more or less own gaming on PC, if they could put some sort of xbox emulator in windows I think it could kill the Playstation altogether. Micrsoft would have it's customers on a purchasing track that could go xbox>windows which opens them up customers to the entire suit of Microsoft products.

Advertisement