Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you work long hours?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Elessar

Where I work now, there are a couple of devs with a ridiculous work ethic. They come in early and stay late every day, they bang out unholy amounts of good code.
    This has developed into a culture of everyone else starting early and working late to keep up, because management can see some tasks consistently flying ahead of others. It's a pain!

That's insane. Time for a new job methinks. Good to see the majority are not like this. I was of the impression programmers always work unholy hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JigglyMcJabs

Elessar wrote: »
    That's insane. Time for a new job methinks. Good to see the majority are not like this. I was of the impression programmers always work unholy hours.

Already got a new job, start in 2 weeks. I'm strictly 9 - 5.30 for the remainder of my time here :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

move on op! more to life than work or maybe you d like your employer to hold your hand when theyre sticking you into the ground in a box!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    move on op! more to life than work or maybe you d like your employer to hold your hand when theyre sticking you into the ground in a box!

I do remember working ridiculous hours for a Company, trying to catch up with work and on the job training. It wasn't a Development role, but it was supporting a large Enterprise Application. With little assistance after 6 months and inadequate training, I became so stressed, that I began to sink, leading to bad health. A trip to an Emergency Room after coughing up blood for an evening and a visit with a Psychiatrist, I took stock and I no longer work for that hole of a Company. There was bullying involved when I discussed with internal recruitment that I felt the role wasn't for me, especially from 1st line Management.

I'm not bitter in the slightest. I learned the hard way what I do and do not like, picked myself up, dusted off and moved on. While I do not condemn working long hours to prove your worth, over doing it "could" fuck your health up considerably and no one will pat you on the back for your efforts, because like me, everyone is replaceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Also around 9:30 - 5:30ish.
    I might do a bit of backlog grooming at home watching tv or have a quick check of email, but that's about it.

I'm kinda surprised that most people here work normal hours because anecdotely devs work stupid long hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Itzy wrote:
    I do remember working ridiculous hours for a Company, trying to catch up with work and on the job training. It wasn't a Development role, but it was supporting a large Enterprise Application. With little assistance after 6 months and inadequate training, I became so stressed, that I began to sink, leading to bad health. A trip to an Emergency Room after coughing up blood for an evening and a visit with a Psychiatrist, I took stock and I no longer work for that hole of a Company. There was bullying involved when I discussed with internal recruitment that I felt the role wasn't for me, especially from 1st line Management.

Itzy wrote:
    I'm not bitter in the slightest. I learned the hard way what I do and do not like, picked myself up, dusted off and moved on. While I do not condemn working long hours to prove your worth, over doing it "could" **** your health up considerably and no one will pat you on the back for your efforts, because like me, everyone is replaceable.

I 'll keep this short. Well done on turning that corner. Take note folks! Major life lesson above!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

They come in early and stay late every day, they bang out unholy amounts of good code.

I would love to see that code. I eat, sleep and drink code reviews in my role and the quality of code reduces greatly when people work beyond their normal core hours. I have seen a few cases of people working crazy hours, over a sustained period of time and each and every one of them ended up with serious case of occupational burnout.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Phoebas wrote: »
    I'm kinda surprised that most people here work normal hours because anecdotely devs work stupid long hours.

Some do, but usually IMO in badly-run companies, or at least badly-run projects. It's getting rarer, and a lot of it was part of the macho coder vibe.
    Berserker wrote: »
    I would love to see that code. I eat, sleep and drink code reviews in my role and the quality of code reduces greatly when people work beyond their normal core hours.

Agree 100% - on the one or two occasions where I've had to stay overnight, the code I've written was barely sustainable. Task number one on the next day was to review and re-write, especially as a fire-fight fix is rarely the solution you want to deliver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

If you are working late fixing crises all the time, you or the guy you took over from didn't design the code properly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

If you are working late fixing crises all the time, you or the guy you took over from didn't design the code properly.

It's not that difficult to develop something that requires constant firefighting to maintain. The real challenge is putting together a very good team of designers, developers and testers to ensure that, down the road, someone isn't fixing problems constantly. If you can accomplish that, then you wouldn't have to work beyond 40 - 45 hours per week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Pretty much a consistent 37.5hr week. I work 8:30-4:30 Monday to Friday. Sometimes I get caught in meetings or with a code checkin that is needed but so far all fine. Some of the higher ups (like the design team or BSAs) tend to work longer hours alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Here is what I have learnt after many years...

If you find your self doing overtime its down to poor planning. If the planning is your fault, suck it up and learn from it so you don't do it next time.

If the overtime is due to someone else's poor planning. If you're doing overtime all you are doing is covering up someone else's mess. They don't learn from it and you will find yourself in the same situation next time.

Do yourself a favour and don't do overtime.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Smoggy wrote: »
    Here is what I have learnt after many years...

If you find your self doing overtime its down to poor planning. If the planning is your fault, suck it up and learn from it so you don't do it next time.

If the overtime is due to someone else's poor planning. If you're doing overtime all you are doing is covering up someone else's mess. They don't learn from it and you will find yourself in the same situation next time.

Do yourself a favour and don't do overtime.

There are many valid reasons where overtime may be asked/required/expected often for reasons outside the control of you and/or your employer. It's not normally an issue for most people unless the overtime is excessive and/or extremely regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

I agree there are valid reasons.

But most the time I find its down to poor planning.

But if a project is well planned, the need for overtime is minimal. A good plan has contingency built into to it, so when **** does hit the fan, there is time to deal with it.

The times I find myself doing OT is when someone said the impossible can be done in a week, leaving developers to pull a miracle out the bag.

Advertisement