Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mrs Brown's Boys has just won a BAFTA!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

xflyer wrote: »
    If you took the trouble to read what I said you might find you don't qualify in this case as a begrudger. No need for a dictionary. You don't like the comedy but presumably you don't begrudge the man his success, or do you?

Not at all. Fair play to him. I still can't believe it's so popular though. Sorry, that whole post wasn't aimed at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

RayM wrote: »
    Yes, yes, I realise that. They watch and enjoy a show that is clearly aimed towards idiots - or at the very least, people whose sense of humour stopped developing when they were still in primary school. If someone finds a man in a dress continually falling over and shouting "fuck" uproariously funny, I think the assumption that they're an idiot is quite a safe one.

I once watched a show where the ,uh, talking dog barfed and then the other characters barfed, and then again, and then again, and then again. How my drug taking house mate laughed!

It was family guy, a real juvenile piece of crap.. Which I bet you may like.

Me, I think it is for idiots with a few too many drug damaged brain cells but each to their own. MBB Is simple humour, and makes no attempt to be edgy. Because if you try edgy you should get it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ahhhh, so that's what the other posters meant when they spoke of 'pseuds' :rolleyes: Seriously, drop the wannabe-snob routine. And in any case, Peep Show isn't Mitchell/Webb's best work.

And here's me trying to class up the thread with talk about vaudeville and Shakespearean comedies.
    Referencing Shakespeare doesn't immediately make you sound intellectual you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

lizt wrote: »
    Your attitude is unbelievable! Just because YOU don't like something it should be hidden away? If you don't like a programme, vote with your viewership and DON'T WATCH IT. It's not like it's simultaneously broadcast over all channels, you know you can avoid it by, oh I don't know, changing the channel?

I didn't say it should be hidden away. I said that if it was hidden away in some regional hovel (or the televisual equivalent thereof), I wouldn't have any issue with it. As someone who is genuinely enthusiastic about comedy, I find it a bit annoying when a sitcom of such blatantly poor quality starts winning prestigious awards at the expense of vastly superior shows. Worse than that, it was almost certainly commissioned at the expense of other shows too. Those of us who dislike it can avoid it, but we can also feel free to express our opinions. Opinions which you could avoid by, I don't know, not reading.
    It was family guy, a real juvenile piece of crap.. Which I bet you may like.

Your assumption is wrong, but that's not relevant. You seem to be of the (equally wrong) opinion that those who dislike Mrs Brown's Boys do so as a result of snobbery. I can't speak for anyone else, but I dislike it, not because it's low-brow, but because it's really, really bad. Most of the jokes (which invariably come into view a mile off) seem to have been directly lifted from O'Carroll's stand-up routine (having previously been lifted from other comedians), and with the exception of O'Carroll himself, none of the cast appear to be able to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Holy Warlord

I say 'fair play' to Brendan! Lots of people love the show. MBB is shuddersome stultiloquence and well deserving of an adulterated accolade like a comedy BAFTA.

Eff the begrudgers, etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

This dick won a BAFTA?

Whats next, an Oscar for a film adaptation of Fair City staring Craig Doyle and Angelina Jolie?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I didn't say it should be hidden away. I said that if it was hidden away in some regional hovel (or the televisual equivalent thereof), I wouldn't have any issue with it. As someone who is genuinely enthusiastic about comedy, I find it a bit annoying when a sitcom of such blatantly poor quality starts winning prestigious awards at the expense of vastly superior shows. Worse than that, it was almost certainly commissioned at the expense of other shows too. Those of us who dislike it can avoid it, but we can also feel free to express our opinions. Opinions which you could avoid by, I don't know, not reading.

Your assumption is wrong, but that's not relevant. You seem to be of the (equally wrong) opinion that those who dislike Mrs Brown's Boys do so as a result of snobbery. I can't speak for anyone else, but I dislike it, not because it's low-brow, but because it's really, really bad. Most of the jokes (which invariably come into view a mile off) seem to have been directly lifted from O'Carroll's stand-up routine (having previously been lifted from other comedians), and with the exception of O'Carroll himself, none of the cast appear to be able to act.

So we can feel free to express our opinions yet I should avoid having an opinion by not reading your posts? Sorry, I don't understand that logic at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Namlub wrote: »
    Referencing Shakespeare doesn't immediately make you sound intellectual you know.
    Sarcasm, Namlub. Namlub? Sarcasm.
    :) :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭kermit_the_dog

+1 , i loved the early nineties show bottom and you cant get more low brow than that rick myall - adrian edmonson vechile , MBB is awfull

• Registered Users Posts: 54,549 ✭✭✭✭walshb

At a guess I'd say people who also read tabloid newspapers and watch X Factor/Big Brother type of stuff. I'm off to watch Peep Show now, original, edgey, disgusting and fu*kin hilarious ORIGINAL comedy.

No. I give everything a chance, including tabloids etc. I read/watch my fair share of everything. I am not one to dismiss something without checking it out. X factor included.

This programme relies on coarse language and sexual jokes, and THAT is it. It is that lacking and that desperate. There is not an ounce of creativity or originality in it. Same old stale and lame gags involving the F word and some reference to sex.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

When I heard of MBB I thought it was going to be a train wreck and some of the snippets I saw seemed to confirm this. I just didn't get what the fuss was about.

Once it started to get big viewing figures I sat down and watched all the episodes. the truth it that it took about 4 episodes before I started to appreciate the show.

The show actually has a lots more depth than you would first think - especially if you are only seeing it in spurts or snippets. it's not all about swearing and falling down, in fact there are some truely laugh out loud moments.

So, in my opinion, some people are just not giving it enough of a chance, have a per-conceived idea that they hate it or MAYBE are just too dumb to understand it. But thats because I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

xflyer wrote: »
    There are some genuinely hilarious moments. I particularly like when he clearly goes off script to the obvious discomfort of the other actors.

nah, those scenes are so pre-planned and scripted its painful:o

and i hate it when it touches on serious issues like wife beating and drug abuse and the audience go ahhhh its cringeworthy

• Registered Users Posts: 54,549 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Hyzepher wrote: »
    When I heard of MBB I thought it was going to be a train wreck and some of the snippets I saw seemed to confirm this. I just didn't get what the fuss was about.

Once it started to get big viewing figures I sat down and watched all the episodes. the truth it that it took about 4 episodes before I started to appreciate the show.

The show actually has a lots more depth than you would first think - especially if you are only seeing it in spurts or snippets. it's not all about swearing and falling down, in fact there are some truely laugh out loud moments.

So, in my opinion, some people are just not giving it enough of a chance, have a per-conceived idea that they hate it or MAYBE are just too dumb to understand it. But thats because I like it.

Any chance of posting these scenes that some of us are too dumb to appreciate or understand? I gave it a chance, watched an episode, and laughed zero times. It was that bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Congrats to Brendan for not being dragged down by the no hopers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

lizt wrote: »
    So we can feel free to express our opinions yet I should avoid having an opinion by not reading your posts? Sorry, I don't understand that logic at all.

Be not confused. What I was doing there, was basically employing your logic and throwing it right back at you. You think that people who don't like Mrs Brown's Boys should just avoid watching it, rather than expressing an opinion about it? Fine. By the same (flawed) reasoning, if you don't like those opinions, just don't read them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

walshb wrote: »
    Any chance of posting these scenes that some of us are too dumb to appreciate or understand? I gave it a chance, watched an episode, and laughed zero times. It was that bad.

+1, I'd love to see someone post up a funny joke from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Think the show is trash myself.. but here's the top 3 clips in terms of views on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U430rpfjIIQ
    (3.1 million views)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YtKtcedZzY
    (2.2 million views)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA0iLtT46fY
    (1.8 million views)

And after watching all 3, it hasn't changed my opinion of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

Seems to be the comedic equivalent of a group of skangers egging their toddler on to say bad words and then breaking their holes laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Atrocious fu*kin stuff, give me The Royle Family, Early Doors or Phoenix Nights for hilarious working class humour with real heart any day.

Rega wrote: »
    Seems to be the comedic equivalent of a group of skangers egging their toddler on to say bad words and then breaking their holes laughing.

Solid working class != chavs. The snobby element is out in force tonight.

• Advertisement

Atrocious fu*kin stuff, give me The Royle Family, Early Doors or Phoenix Nights for hilarious working class humour with real heart any day.

These are about chavs.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

These are about chavs.

They're funny though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Never watched it, and never really clicked with O'Carroll's humour back in the day... though they played this clip on the radio (audio only ldo) on Monday morning and it gave me a chuckle...

Also, lol at all the "it's not the funnae" comments in this thread - get over it, other people like stuff you don't ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I went to see B O'C doing his stand up show around '92 or '93. From start to finish it was a rip-off of two Chubby Brown videos that I had seen in England a few years previous. Nothing original. He just re-jigged it a bit for the irish audience. Never liked him after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Are you havin' a laff?

Is he havin' a laff!?

extras_ray_stokes_2.jpg

You're havin' a laff!

Going on this evidence, were Gervais to actually make a series called "When the Whistle Blows" it would probably win a BAFTA too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's a Bafta. I couldn't tell you who has ever won a Bafta. I've never watched the Bafta's and I doubt I ever will.

800 years and now this.
    Anyhow, BBC and BBC Scotland funded show wins Bafta, colour me unsurprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Television is a mass medium. The lowest common denominator always wins. The majority of people who watch tv don't ask for intellectual stimulation or to be challenged they much prefer crude puerile crap which they can vegetate to. MBB is excellent at this and that is why it won.

• love the show

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Television is a mass medium. The lowest common denominator always wins. The majority of people who watch tv don't ask for intellectual stimulation or to be challenged they much prefer crude puerile crap which they can vegetate to. MBB is excellent at this and that is why it won.

It was a jury award.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Going on this evidence, were Gervais to actually make a series called "When the Whistle Blows" it would probably win a BAFTA too.

Gervais hasn't done anything worth watching since Extras and that was what, five or six years ago now? Loved his Xfm show, and The Office, and the podcasts, and Extras, but my word has he plummeted downhill since then. I wouldn't be surprised to see him cameo on Mrs Brown's Boys actually.

Advertisement