Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

What's the chances of a thunderstorm in cork/Waterford ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

redsunset wrote: »
    Feel like a storm chaser, was caught in amazing fork and sheet lightning coming out of Portlaoise around 13.45, ground completely covered in hail.I was driving and traffic had to crawl. Very memorable experience with the light show dancing all round me.

So jealous, your post actually made me stamp my feet and shout out in frustration....ahem.... at work... ! You lucky lucky lucky DUCK!!! I am looking out at blue skies with lovely fluffy cumulus floating about.... haven't heard a proper thunder storm in ages, and as for lightning... pah... I am going over to turn off and on the lights here for a few minutes and make believe...

...for those thinking I am wishing away a pleasent day, its not that, I am enjoying it, from the prison of my desk, so a good old thunder and lighning storm would really liven up proceedings is all..... save the nice afternoon for when I am out in it. sigh....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Showers slipping past to my north. Drats! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

redsunset wrote: »
    Feel like a storm chaser, was caught in amazing fork and sheet lightning coming out of Portlaoise around 13.45, ground completely covered in hail.I was driving and traffic had to crawl. Very memorable experience with the light show dancing all round me.

I believe I got some pics of mammatus off the back of that as it passed over Galway around 12 O’Clock( it was probably over Tipperary by the time I took pictures). I was really annoyed watching it pass over. Lucky You!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Shannon Sigmet number 1 valid until 1700 in the Shannon FIR/UIR,Frequent Thunderstorms forecast East of 8 West moveing SE at 30kts and weakening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭eimearos

Big dark clouds in Waterford, I'd say we should hear some claps and see lightening fairly soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

eimearos wrote: »
    Big dark clouds in Waterford, I'd say we should hear some claps and see lightening fairly soon
    Same here in Dundalk now, rumble of thunder a minute ago too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Fierce enough looking thing approaching here now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Fierce enough looking thing approaching here now
    yeah got very dark here suddenly,just light rain so far

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

No lightning yet but fairly heavy rain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Just go from Monaghan Co into Cavan, I have seen about three flashes of lightening really dark.

Heavy returns across the country.

201344.bmp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Just home from work.
    Doesnt look like i missed much around here...

BUT... Mad looking cell passing over clones on radar... good few strikes from it. Wish i was up there! :(:(:(

Shower is just a rainy mess really, flattered to deceive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Saw the top of Mt.Leinster was white with what i presume was hail. Still a bit left now by the looks of the webcam.

0002_photo.JPG

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Just home from work.
    Doesnt look like i missed much around here...

BUT... Mad looking cell passing over clones on radar... good few strikes from it. Wish i was up there! :(:(:(

Ha, me too.

201354.bmp

The cell up at drogheda is massive! Can see the anvil from here !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I was in Tramore this afternoon and we had 2 big flashes of Lightning followed by thunder. What followed was a massive hail shower that lasted 15 mins or so. I'm fairly confident i caught one of the flashes on my in car DVR. Will post pics or video later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Seems to be a big multi-cell storm around the Monaghan/Fermanagh border for the past two hours, anyone around there? Constant torrential rain and a massive amount of strikes being picked up

Not even a shower here again, annoying seeing all the clouds build overhead then only get going a few miles further inland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Ya just home! Serious rain and hail. my house just on the edge of that cell coming back from Monaghan was unreal lightening and thunder. Heavy hail stones also got no pic sorry.

• Advertisement

Harps wrote: »
    Seems to be a big multi-cell storm around the Monaghan/Fermanagh border for the past two hours, anyone around there? Constant torrential rain and a massive amount of strikes being picked up

Not even a shower here again, annoying seeing all the clouds build overhead then only get going a few miles further inland

It is rounding the troops and making a march for the capital :eek::D

Some development in last shot.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

It is rounding the troops and making a march for the capital :eek::D

Some development in last shot.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Was just gonna say that! haha!
    :pac:
    201360.png

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

I can see the dark clouds in the distance from just north of Balbriggan. Doesnt look too menacing though from where I am. Cant make out the anvil, bit of low level cloud blocking my view :(

sirpsycho wrote: »
    I can see the dark clouds in the distance from just north of Balbriggan. Doesnt look too menacing though from where I am. Cant make out the anvil, bit of low level cloud blocking my view :(

oh dont worry its there! ha... i can see the thing from here ! :)

Probably
    will Die thought by the time it runs into the cold air left from the previous shower thoug :( ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i thought there was potential at around half 5 today, dark clouds, loads of hail/rain by the looks of it, totally by passed the northside and drowned the southside. not a peeps from it :(

Probably
    will Die thought by the time it runs into the cold air left from the previous shower thoug :( ...

The sun has been beating down here for the last couple of hours, might help raise those towers more ;)

Any pics?

sirpsycho wrote: »
    Any pics?

Sorry about the trees in the way ha :rolleyes:

SHES A BIGGY!
    541211_10150832064866718_631736717_12352041_460862152_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Sorry about the trees in the way ha :rolleyes:

SHES A BIGGY!
    541211_10150832064866718_631736717_12352041_460862152_n.jpg

Nice pic, thanks!

Plenty of height in her. Must head up to the back room to have another look now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement