Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

how do i prepare to lay grass seed,

• 10-01-2012 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

I got walls built around my garden late last year, So my garden is a mess full of weeds, Im in the process of leveling the garden at the moment, Then im going to rotivate it, Now my problem is after i rotivated it do i leave it a few weeks (raking it every now and then) rotivated again then plant the seed, how would i get rid of the weeds that will be chopped by the rotivator, Also do i remove all the smallish stones that come to the top, ill be adding some sand before i rotivate it,

any tips would be great,:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bartlguy

rotivate to a depth of about 10 inches then remove all stones and weeds, especially the tap roots of the common weeds. Rotivate again and again to ensure all weeds are out.

Then mix in your sand and rotivate it into the ground. I find it best to leave for approx six weeks to see if any new weeds come up. Obviously pull them too.

At the end of the six weeks when ground temps will be up for maximising germination, ie middle of feb, rake the top layer of soil to a depth of 1-2cm and spread your seed using a seed spreader.

When using the seed spreader- do straight lines and then do cross hatched lines. as in go up and down and then across, to get full and even coverage over the ground.

Another tip is to put the grass seed in a bowl of water and stick it into the hot press for two days to help with the germination process.

Make sure the ground is always moist so use a fine mist sprinkler, probably made by hozel-lock.

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

thanks for your help, :D

Advertisement