Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend Projector €400-€500

Options
  • 20-11-2015 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend the best Projector out there for €400-€500?

It's purely for watching tv & movies with amazon fire tv/kodi. I also have a decent sound system I can plug it into.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Well I finally upgraded from a 10 year old 720p Panasonic AE900 Projector that I stopped using a few years ago because it was getting too dim and I didn't want to waste money on chinese knock off bulbs for. That PJ was 720p with 1100 Lumens bulb and 5500:1 Contrast ratio with €300 bulbs when new that lasted 2000 hours in High Lamp mode or 5000 hours in Eco/Low lamp mode.

My new 1080p 3D capable Epson TW5210 that I bought from Amazon.de for €680 has a 2200 Lumen bulb that lasts 4000 hours in High Lamp mode and 7000 hours in Eco/Low lamp and the replacement OEM bulbs only cost €80. It was a 30,000:1 contrast ratio.

It was delivered yesterday and I got to play with it last night. I am blown away by it. Its a little Light cannon. I could watch sport in daylight albeit a dull day with the venetians closed with this thing. Main room light on no problem. Not that you would or should but I am amazed that you actually could if you wanted to. The 3D blew my mind. I'm just projecting on a magnolia wall. I got my throw ratio calcs wrong and it throws a bigger image than I anticipated from the position I need the projector to be in. I ended up with a 130" minimum screen size. Thats what makes the brightness so mindblowing to me. Even spreading those lumens out over such a large screen and its still amazingly bright.

I can't believe how good this PJ is for €680.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Hi Calibos - I am thinking about buying the Epson TW5210 - I know you initially thought it was a great piece of kit - what is your opinion of it after using it for some time - any pros and cons?

I borrowed my friend's Optoma HD141X which had rave reviews but I wasn't very impressed with the fan noise . The picture was very good but I sit very close the projector and the fan noise just ruined the whole movie watching experience.

Any advice greatly appreciated - thanks!

Advertisement