Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whats next, a permit to surf?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

in my experience ur transitionary period from complete novice to intermediate is extended by the use of BICs
    no one should buy one
    fair enough to rent one out for the first 3 / 4 runs but after that you are wasting your time with the chunks of plastic
    your technique will improve drastically once you ditch it and move over to a decent board, one that can actually be guided with a wave as opposed to one that simply catches a ripp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Marcaiocht_Tonn

There's no doubt that a better board, e.g. fibreglass, is more responsive, better built and will allow someone to progress more quickly. However, I have no problem guiding a Bic on a wave (and I am by no means a skilled surfer), and it's a very handy board for learners due to its durability and cheap cost. I had a beautiful custom fiberglass board out in Hawaii, but had to sell it. I recently moved back to Ireland and needed to find a cheap board to keep me going, as I was out of pocket. Picked up a 7'10" Bic Minimal plus bag for 150 euro. I disagree with the statement "never buy a Bic", for many people it'll be the reasonable purchase given budgets etc (especially in these times!).

Also, still not an excuse to take the p1ss out of people man. I do several other watersports besides surfing, it is still the only one that consistently throws up this weirdly snobby attitude towards beginners. Again, not poking at anyone in particular here, but this attitude is most definitely out there. I wonder where it comes from...

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Panda wrote: »
    To me common sense would mean surfing a reasonable distance away from any swimmers.

or swimming a reasonable distance away from surfers......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

I do several other watersports besides surfing...

Ugh a kayaker too I suppose! :pac:

Even worse - a windsurfer! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

marcaiocht i know of one surfer who is skilled and deliberately surfs a bic so as to take the piss out of the piss takers so to speak. Bics are like the skodas of many decades ago. I still have one learnt ish on it but learnt a lot more when I got the loan of a longboard. My daughter uses it now in the summer. The reason imho its taken the piss out of so much is it symbolises the east coast weekend warrior who comes west and drops in on all the other surfers, doesn't give a **** about the litter he leaves etc. Thats a bad sterotype but unfortunatly true in a small number of cases.
    As for cecil mor pass no heed of him. I have seen him surf a few times and all he has is an ex rental foamie so he has no business taking the piss outa bics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Also, still not an excuse to take the p1ss out of people man. I do several other watersports besides surfing, it is still the only one that consistently throws up this weirdly snobby attitude towards beginners....

That's because of two things

1 some people don't know the difference between a kook and a beginner - a beginner is learning to surf, a kook thinks they've learned it all but haven't.

2 What I call "spoon feeders" people who can't be arsed to learn for them selves and instead ask the same questions that have been asked before and expect that they should be spoon feed.

I've no problem with somebody saying I've tried to read the charts and am alway getting it wrong what should I be doing - instead you see people asking will it be good in xyz this weekend I don't know how to read charts...

These are my pet hate as they make all beginners look bad and typically come from Dublin so make all Dublin surfers look bad.

PS for the answer to most of your forecasting questions google LUD's FAQ

SpaceHopper: PS for the answer to most of your forecasting questions google LUD's FAQ

Apologies, I may have picked this up wrong, but if this is aimed at me - I haven't at any point asked about forecasting...??

@tedshredsonfire, spacehopper: I understand what you're saying about "weekend warriors" dropping in, spoonfeeders etc - you won't hear me arguing in favour of people who ignore the etiquette. But there are always going to be beginners who make mistakes, and more tolerance is needed.

Anyway I appear to have inadvertently hijacked this thread with my ranting about attitudes etc, my bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Marcaiocht its a valid point but spacehopper is correct, i think most established surfers are tolerant and helpful to beginners and do differentiate between a beginner and a kook. Kook to me is just slang for asshole and they are in every sport/community etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

dude the number 1 rule in surfing is that it is your responsability to get out of the way of people on surf boards

• Advertisement

Fair enough lads, I see what you're saying about the difference between a beginner and a kook. I'm sure the latter does p1ss people off understandably...

Advertisement