Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation Grants? Basic but vital Q

• 24-12-2008 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me definitively if :

there are grants for insulation in Ireland yet.
    If this was proposed in the budget

I have heard that this was in the budget but can find no evidence of grants being proposed, offered, or in the pipeline.

I am about to go crazy, lashing insulation around my house in about Feb,
    and dont want to wrap the house in a blanket the day before
    there's a grant to do so.............

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,721 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Home4Life wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me definitively if :

there are grants for insulation in Ireland yet.
    If this was proposed in the budget

I have heard that this was in the budget but can find no evidence of grants being proposed, offered, or in the pipeline.

I am about to go crazy, lashing insulation around my house in about Feb,
    and dont want to wrap the house in a blanket the day before
    there's a grant to do so.............

http://www.sei.ie/grants/

contact SEI for details
    http://www.sei.ie/Contact_Us/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Home4Life

... its a "no".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

te grants are for older houses, good if you have one, bad if your house is new.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,721 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

holdfast wrote: »

if your house is new it should comply with the relevant standards at the time it was built...

Originally Posted by holdfast viewpost.gif

"The" grants???
    Which ones are these? Come sback to my question....
    are there any grants? Are any proposed?

I have an old house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,920 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Home4Life wrote: »
    "The" grants???
    Which ones are these? Come sback to my question....
    are there any grants? Are any proposed?

I have an old house.

your question was answered in the second post. i suggest you read the link, look under domestic. There are grants for older homes, and have been for some time.

I think we're dealing with an important issue here and I'm confused.

I have looked under the link in the second post and cannot find any mention anywhere on SEI site of insulation grant for older houses.

Greener Homes scheme: grants only for solar / HP / woodpellet etc

Warmer homes scheme: for low income homes only.

Home energy savings scheme: closed pilot

So, can anyone enlighten me????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 45,759 ✭✭✭✭muffler

In fairness lads the OP has a genuine query which has not been answered. I have looked through the relevant section of the SEI's site and all I can say is that its a load of shite.

The answer is most definitely not available from the SEI site (all ifs and buts) so if any of you know for sure what, if any, grants are available for dwellings then Id be grateful if you could provide that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I'm in a similar situation to the OP.

there's all this talk about insulation grants since the budget, and again with the "stimulus package"

I've to get some cavities blown into and I need to get something pumped into my attic too. (tiny space, it'd be an absolute bitch to do with rolls)

I dont mind spending the money, but I'd hate to do so only to find out I could have saved 30% by waiting a few weeks or something

Thanks Muffler.
    I was beginning to wonder was I the only one who was thinking that the SEI emperor was completely naked (of insulation).

Its a mystery to me that conventional wisdom is that something was introduced in the budget to grant aid insulation for older homes,
    and yet there is no official evidence anywhere that this is true.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Their site is poor for sure. My parents are looking to get their home insulated both roofspace and pumped but even though I remember hearing something I cant find a rex on that site!
    I wonder are they trying to "hide" the details ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Lads the pilot scheme for the home energy savings scheme is closed and is to rolled out country wide at some stage this year (although based on the speed SEI have dealt with other issues it could be next year.) The money in the budget 25m or so I believe is intended for this scheme. It will ba announced at some stage in a fanfare of trumpets with green ministers all over the tv. However in the pilot scheme the grant was only up to 33% of the cost or 2500 max (I Think) so if you're planning a major refurb the grant will if left at the same levels will not be worth a huge ammount to you, if you are pumping cavity walls and putting a bit more fibre glass in your attic it will be worth!!:D

I had already sent a PM off to SEI prior to No6 posting above and in that email I expressed my displeasure at the lack of info on their site and asked for a definitive answer re grants for domestic insulation and their reply below is pretty much what No has stated.
    Thank you for your email below. I am sorry that you are disappointed with our website, we do work very hard to make it as consumer friendly as possible. With regards to your grants query, currently there are no grants available for insulation. This year it is planned that the Home Energy Saving Scheme will be launched which will offer grants to insulate individuals’ homes. We do not currently have any further information on this programme other than it is planned to be launched nationally this year (2009). If you would like to register your interest in this grant programme you can either email them at hespilot@sei.ie or phone them on 1850 927 000. Once the scheme is announced they will then let you know, full details on grant amounts and how to apply will then be available from our website at www.sei.ie/hes

I do hope that this answers your query below, please note, we have taken your comments on board and will of course continue to try and make our website better for users visiting the website.

Kind Regards,

Well done Muffler.

In fairness to SEI that was a good honest response.
    Its really a government decision that hasnt been made by the sounds of it.
    Reading that, I wonder will see a mini version of the stamp duty reform effect, where everyone holds off doing any insulation because the expect a grant to be introduced,
    and the way the government coffers are, it could be years off....

Money has been set aside for this programe in the budget last year. The Pilot scheme is only finished and it will take a while to assess the results so they can focus the grant to the best effect. Ring the number or email and register your interest and they will notify you when it gets rolled out.

Yes, their reply was refreshing and honest and maybe other agencies could take a leaf from their book when it comes to giving an informative reply to the public

They've also changed the information on the website to what you've posted, it was just that the pilot scheme was closed last time I looked (last week!!) Can't beat a bit of Muffler power!!!:D

I haz da powah :D

:D:D How much per KWhr??? :D:D

Advertisement