Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HDip or MSc in Computing for Career Change

• 05-01-2015 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I am planning on shifting careers from Education towards ICT. I'm trying to find suitable courses that will make me employable in the field in as short a time as possible, and without spending a fortune.

After looking around it seems that NCI have a good selection of well-regarded courses. I've come here to ask for peoples' opinions on the following courses for my situation:
    Higher Diploma in Computing
    MSc in Web Technologies

The HDip seems like a pretty good foundation, and I can get it done within a year. My worry is that it is not of a high enough level to get me employment on its own merit.

The MSc is a bigger commitment, both financially and time-wise, but it seems like it will offer a much more complete and focused addition to my CV.

Personally, I would prefer to do the HDip, but as I said I am not sure if it will actually be worth the money.

Has anyone here had any experience with either of these courses, and could maybe offer some advice on the situation? Any input is appreciated :)

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

What area of IT would you like to get into?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

It is important to know that IT isn't just straight forward as there is many fields in IT, not just a couple.

I would suggest find out what suits you best as a career in IT and you seem to have put Web Tech as an option. As the internet is changing everyday you will be dealing with new stuff all the time and it can be a pretty enjoying career.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Unless your previous degree involved Computing or Computer Science for a couple years, throwing yourself in the deep end with a HDip or MSc in the subject is a huge risk, these courses are aimed towards post-graduates of honours degree computing students.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Celephais

Thanks for the input - I understand that this is somewhat of a risk. I'm banking on being able to teach myself enough to hit at least a Dip running, but that may not be easy to do.

In terms of a specific area, web design/tech definitely appeals to me and seems like it could lead to a decent job. Anything involving programming would also get my attention, as I've some small experience in the area - enough to know that it's something I would be good at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 purplexmas

I did the exact same thing a year ago. Its probably best to start with the Hdip and get a taste of everything that will then open you up to choose what masters course best suits you. UCC offers reduced fees for Hdip and Masters in computer Science. The Hdip has its own merits but if you want a career it might be best o then continue on with your masters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement