Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Local Elections 2014: What issues will you be raising with candidates on the door?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Looks like Wexford voters have no questions to ask the candidates , judging by this thread anyway .

And it also looks like the candidates are not interested in been asked questions , as I have been told of some candidates just throwing the flyers through letterboxes , and not bothering to wait for answer at the doors .

On facebook there is allot of comments and questions directed to all the various candidates on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Whilst I generally detest campaign posters, I'm loving Councillor Danny Forde's Dracula impression in and around Wexford town. Fantastic stuff, gives me a great chuckle every time I see one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Well. Who are the latest greatest callers to your home? If great is possible that is !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chieftan65

Raise issues?? ha ha ha. oh my god thats a good one. I have been blessed to have met 2 candidates running in my area so far, and I'm completely appaled by their lack of knowledge about anything political whether it be at local or national level. I'm not going to mention who these 2 jokers are but they are both running for different maistream parties. One guy admitted he didn't have a clue about politics and was only standing as a favour to someone who asked him to run... the second guy started laughing when i asked him what he was proposing to do if he was elected, he laughed and said "sure i dont know what i'll do. i'll have to get in first and see what goes on". We've all heard of gombeen politics but these politicians are treating us as the gombeens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

chieftan65 wrote: »
    We've all heard of gombeen politics but these politicians are treating us as the gombeens

Why wouldn't they treat us as gombeens, when we act like gombeens? We continually elect the same crooked parties over and over again.
    I have decided that I will not vote for any of the mainstream parties ever again, after all, if you hired a plumber or electrician to do a job in your house and they fcuked up, would you employ them again? I doubt it, so why do we continue to employ people who have fcuked up over and over again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I live in town and have had zero contact from anybody save for a Phil Prendergast (Labour MEP) leaflet shoved in the letterbox. There was no email address for her but I found one online and she received a reply. She was out of luck on many counts - she's a Labour Candidate, I always spoil my vote in anything related to Europe and I'm damned if I'm going to help her back on the gravy train. Even her attack on the Official IRA man, Workers Party, Labour Party leader Eamon Gilmore won't sway me. :D

As for local elections - who are the candidates? At the moment I'm only voting for Mick Wallace's team. Any Green party candidates standing? Issues - how about a few jobs for the South East - are there any other issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Copy2ofenniscorthyle14_zpsd0f29264.jpg

Hi JD ,
    I think this is a list of the hopefuls in Enniscorthy .

Only 8 seats available

Thanks. That list is quite something and I guess I have only Annette Moran (the militant florist) and as I always buy my Christmas tree from Jackser...:D

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Navarre wrote: »
    With local elections in May, what questions will you be asking canvassers when they come calling to your door?

With household charges, water metering, flood defence and planning dominating the news over the past year, the forthcoming local elections are set to be a lively affair.

So if a candidate came knocking at your door tomorrow what would you ask them? What issues affect you and yours on a daily basis? What would you like to see changed or introduced? How satisfied are you with the current crowd and what would you like to see changed tomorrow? Do local politics even matter and how should a candidate justify themselves to the electorate?

This thread is intended to raise issues that are important to you, so hopefully local candidates can take notice. Also this thread is to have no canvassing by candidates or party representatives, and any such actions will not be allowed.

We at Boards.ie will be getting in touch with as many candidates as we can, and the aim will be for them to come onto Boards to explain their policies, and to answer the questions that you the posters have posed in this threads. When that time comes we aim to use separate threads for the candidates so that those threads can be answer and policy specific.

Most importantly, we would like this thread to focus on the issues that matter to you & be able to provide the candidates with a clear list of local issues as seen by local posters. If you wish to debate the issues raised - we will create a separate thread.

Obviously there's potential for this thread to become contentious, so a couple of ground rules:

NO politician bashing - this isn't about slagging off X candidate or Y party, it's about getting proper discussion going on what issues face Co Wexford and what the candidates can expect to be grilled on.

NO politicians - feel free to keep an eye on this thread, but you'll get your chance later. This thread is for your potential future constituents only.

Political affiliations - if you're going to be involved in campaigning for a candidate or in the organization of any party/group's campaign, you must declare this in your first post in this thread.

OK folks i have deleted the last few posts on this thread as it was clear that some people here didn't read the 1st post properly.

newrosselectors_zps6384e98d.jpg

New Ross area - only 8 seats available

• Advertisement

I have met most of the candidates on the doorstep at this stage , apart from the ones that sent a messenger with a '' sorry I missed you '' note .

The general theme running through them all seems to be 'money' and especially how they will demand allocations to this area .

And by the way , most of them are in favour of water meters in general, but of course if they had the power they would have handled it differently.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Copy2ofenniscorthyle14_zpsd0f29264.jpg

Hi JD ,
    I think this is a list of the hopefuls in Enniscorthy .

Only 8 seats available

I have feeling that there are 3 seats already taken on that list. And the 3 of them don't live in Enniscorthy. Enniscorthy towns people badly need a towns person elected regardless of who he/she is or what party they represent. I could never understand why certain areas of the county fall under the Enniscorthy postal address.

Looking at the New Ross list of candidates they have a candidate from Clonroche running, so why is it if Clonroche is closer to Enniscorthy then how is Ballywilliam closer to Newross but yet its postal address is Enniscorthy.
    If Blackwater is closer to Wexford then how is its postal address Enniscorthy.

If I have a question or a want a problem addressed then I would rather walk down the town to see a Local Elected Representative than drive miles out of town to see someone from a different parish.

Navarre wrote: »
    I have feeling that there are 3 seats already taken on that list. And the 3 of them don't live in Enniscorthy. Enniscorthy towns people badly need a towns person elected regardless of who he/she is or what party they represent. I could never understand why certain areas of the county fall under the Enniscorthy postal address.

Looking at the New Ross list of candidates they have a candidate from Clonroche running, so why is it if Clonroche is closer to Enniscorthy then how is Ballywilliam closer to Newross but yet its postal address is Enniscorthy.
    If Blackwater is closer to Wexford then how is its postal address Enniscorthy.

If I have a question or a want a problem addressed then I would rather walk down the town to see a Local Elected Representative than drive miles out of town to see someone from a different parish.

The local electoral areas were changed last year I know one candidate from Taghmon was allways Wexford but thats now classed as New Ross area

Here is the boundaries http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/GIS/LocalElectionMaps2014/Thefile,24022,en.pdf

http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/GIS/LocalElectionMaps2014/Thefile,24023,en.pdf

More upclose http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/GIS/LocalElectionMaps2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Poochie05

The first 4 links on this page have a list of candidates for each of the Local Electorate areas. There are 8 places for each of Enniscorthy, New Ross and Gorey and 10 for Wexford.

http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/CorporateServices/LocalElections/

Looking at the list for Wexford, I think I may have met 5 out of the 22 candidates...

Interesting to look at the occupations of some of the candidates also.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Deirdre Wadding occupation "Storyteller" LOL perfect for the council so....

Jim Allen occupation "self employed" okkaaayyyyy, a self employed what exactly ?!

I reckon up to now town councillors were looked on as been part-time and I think they were paid something like €16,000 yearly and of course perks and allowances after that .

This will be a whole new ball game , with the abolition of town councils , these guys will be well paid , depending on the distance they have to travel.

The salary will probably between 30-40k per annum plus travel expenses depending on travel .
    Its been said that the Chairman gets an extra €50,000 , Vice-chairman extra €10,000 , and the ones that chair a committee get an extra €5,000.

Extra money to attend conferences , to sit on public bodies , school Boards of Management and interview panels .
    They will get free Laptop , and IT equipment , some may get an allowance to employ a secretary.

They will be sent on fact-finding missions ( not only for Patricks Day )

For some it may be difficult to understand why a barrister for instance would want to go for this , and I know of one guy that retired from politics at 65 , and now he is back again as an Independent .

Now you can see why these people are going to represent you , represent your area , and represent anything else they can think of worth representing .

^^^^^^^

Things never change in this country. Ever. Sigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

I have no political allegiances and I am voting in the Gorey elections. Really shocked at the low standard of candidates. They all seem to send nice glossy leaflets with very little substance in them.
    The only one I have seen who is actually proposing anything is Gavin Nugent. He actually does seem to know what he is saying. Haven't seen his posters around though, think it is an online campaign only.
    One person shoved a letter through the door telling us he brings youth and optimism and sometimes he works as a local DJ. Seriously wtf has that to do with local politics?!?!?!?!? Sick of seeing their smug faces everywhere.

Edit: My favourite word to hear is "maintenance". Literal code word for "I plan on doing nothing about this issue but keep with the status quo".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Deirdre Wadding, listed as a storyteller, I mean wtf? How could anyone take that seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 maurz

I agree LOL "storyteller"! & "self employed in what?"
    however been a "storyteller" has to be a good experience for any politician.
    I think 22 candidates is too many, also I don't agree with transfer of votes. When I vote I want my vote to go to a certain candidate, with transfers my vote could end up going to some one I didn't want to vote for.
    For this election I actually recieved 2 voting cards. With just slight variatiion to my address on both. I wondered could I or even should I vote twice??..
    Well I DID. first at 10am, then returned at 8pm and voted again. I was fortunate that my voting cards were for same location but had different number booths/rooms. So people working at the polling stations didn't notice/question why I was there again
    I honestly don't know if I've done right or wrong (or even illegal). I know a few people associated with council and politics but none could give me an answer.
    TO EXPLAIN:
    I only recently moved in to a council apt,And any correspondence I recieved from the council since have had 2 different variations of my address and my ESB bill has 3rd variation of my address.
    I have wrote to the council about this, I included photo copies of the letters and asked them to sort it out for two very important reasons, firstly this is now my "home" (I had been on the housing list for 11yrs) so for important documents like driver's licence, bank, credit union, car ownership etc I need one and proper address, also thanks to an unsocial neighbour we needed the Fire Brigade twice in the last year, but they had trouble finding us!!

• Advertisement

Voting twice is a criminal offence as far as I know so I wouldn't go boasting about it. I used to receive two polling cards to two different addresses for years i.e. two different polling stations so voting twice would have been easy but I never felt tempted. I reported the dual polling cards a number of times but it took the electoral register people a very long time to sort things out.

geeksauce wrote: »
    Deirdre Wadding, listed as a storyteller, I mean wtf? How could anyone take that seriously.

She works as storyteller whats wrong with that she reads stories to children at library groups stuff like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

maurz wrote: »
    I honestly don't know if I've done right or wrong (or even illegal). I know a few people associated with council and politics but none could give me an answer.
    Ah c'mon. At what stage did it cross your mind that you were entitled to twice the democratic privilege of any other person? Are you seriously asking us to believe you didn't know you were doing wrong, let alone illegal

Advertisement