Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essential Trout Flies

• 30-06-2010 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭

I just started fly fishing and I wanted to know what would be the essential flies I need to start with, I will be doing river and lake fishing, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

I just started fly fishing and I wanted to know what would be the essential flies I need to start with, I will be doing river and lake fishing, thanks.

Assuming you mean brown trout,

To try and keep things simple for a start,
    Wets for the river,
    pheasant tail nymph,
    gold ribbed hares ear nymph,
    black pennell,
    spider patterns
    Small bibio,
    Greenwell’s glory

for dries,
    Elk and CDC sedge,
    Klinkhammer
    Deer hair sedge
    Kites imperial – for up winged flies
    Tups indispensible - for up winged flies
    Olive spinners,
    Iron blue dun,
    Hawthorn fly,
    f-fly

Really there are many others but starting off the above would be among the ones I would go for in small sizes, if in doubt err on the small side. It also depends upon where you are fishing and what naturals are on the water. but if you have the above and a few others in small sizes hey should cover a lot of situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Thanks, I'll pick them up next time I'm at the shop.

Thanks, I'll pick them up next time I'm at the shop.

mmmmmh you may not get all of those in the correct sizes in the shops.....some of the flies the shops sell are puke....and some are good...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

I don't see BWO in your list- this fly works great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

mmmmmh you may not get all of those in the correct sizes in the shops.....some of the flies the shops sell are puke....and some are good...
    What about if I bought them all online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

Much better fun if you tie them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

You can get selections off certain websites. They are a handy starting block. You can get, for example, "wet fly selection", which would comprise of maybe 20/30/40 popular wet flies. Get two packets tho cuz its usually one of each fly and if you find a fly that the trout go mad for the tree lords will inevitably take it soon after!

I buy flies off selectafly.com from time to time and they are efficient and cheap.

BoarHunter wrote: »
    I don't see BWO in your list- this fly works great
    yea but you could list many many more...just wanted to keep it simple for starting....

Advertisement