Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lough Corrib Pike Abortion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

so far this year i have had a poor enough season on the corrib i will be back on it in July... so far small trout nothing bigger than 1.5lbs.. the fishing was patchy at times....i got bigger ones on sheelin though...got a few perch on the nymph on corrib...but there are millions of perch in sheelin too and far too many mayfly...one evening i was fishing on sheelin with a team of three nymphs and got a 6lb trout on the middle dropper and a 1lb perch on the point!!!! i have got two trout before but never a trout and perch at the same time...it was an unusual fight... the season is not over... mayfly fishing is often over rated wait until the season is over before drawing conclusions.

most of my trout were caught on dries, not a huge fan of wets from mid may onwards.

corrib fished very poor this year.. well tons of small fish... but hard to find the big surface feeders...

the wind direction changed 5 or six times a day and the wind never went still much..

ill be back there myself in a month.. but i am only going to dryfly... nymph fishing was producing 4 perch at a time or 3 or 2 or 1 nearly every cast in multiple locations..

it was a tough season for all so far...

well done on the 6lb trout my largest from the corrib was only 5 LB got it on spent... was easy to get him ... with a bit of patience... im sure you saw the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCVJn08LJ8M

Iv an idea how to re-stock Lough corrib with jack pike..... use these fish

look at this video... of the upper lakes that need to be cleared of the pike because some ignorant prat put them in to the spawning grounds of trout and salmon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvpbYhwBqJY&NR=1

god this fishing lark is a mess in this country..................

I hope something like this did not spark off the abortion of pike in lough corrib... as the mess has just got alot bigger now

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fergiesfav

God that DFF talks some rubbish. Weed has to be cut in spring-summer that's when it grows! Do what you like in winter even the smallest strands will explode once the temp rises.

Perch are more fecund then Pike. Cutting the weed will remove a lot more Perch eggs then Pike ever could. Pike fry feed mainly on insects for their first year so more pike fry means more competition for trout. You leave that weed grow uncontrolled and in 5 years there won't be a single sports fish left in the Corrib. Don't control the weed and you'll have a great coarse fishery.

As for too many perch turning the lake toxic ya that's a huge problem all over the world:rolleyes:

No big fish being caught? Wasn't there a 20lb plus fish landed a couple of months ago!!!!

Divers removing Lagarosiphon from the Corrib? Ya great idea because the numbers needed to carry it out would dramatically cut the unemployment rate.

fergiesfav wrote: »
    God that DFF talks some rubbish. Weed has to be cut in spring-summer that's when it grows! Do what you like in winter even the smallest strands will explode once the temp rises.

Perch are more fecund then Pike. Cutting the weed will remove a lot more Perch eggs then Pike ever could. Pike fry feed mainly on insects for their first year so more pike fry means more competition for trout. You leave that weed grow uncontrolled and in 5 years there won't be a single sports fish left in the Corrib. Don't control the weed and you'll have a great coarse fishery.

As for too many perch turning the lake toxic ya that's a huge problem all over the world:rolleyes:

No big fish being caught? Wasn't there a 20lb plus fish landed a couple of months ago!!!!

Divers removing Lagarosiphon from the Corrib? Ya great idea because the numbers needed to carry it out would dramatically cut the unemployment rate.
    God FGF i siad june to Jan or Sep to Jan... can you not reed
    cut the weed June... if you think you are controlling it ... when the temp heats up.. and the plant grows

in winter the roots should be shredded...

if most of the cutting is happening in March and April... there is not much weed growth & there is no perch spawn being removed LMAO....only pike abortion in March April.

your so called 20LB fish was actually 25lb and is years old... got to a good size before the weed was cut.. and the perch explosion...

Divers needed... it is the only proven successful way of removing the weed... sure your way you can mow the weed for eternity....and the whole lake will need to be mowed....

large pike kill jack pike...
    jack pike kill perch
    large pike kill perch

so

Large pike control the numbers of pike.. and Large pike & jack pike combined control perch... but now the pike spawn has been killed for three years running... so very few pike in the lake...
    only some big ones and very few small ones

and tons of perch...

and trout are not growing as quick

sure you go do your research on perch un checked...

if there is a number of grown pike in the lake and you kill most of the spawn year on year ( over time how many pike will be in the lake????) LMAO ,.... and how many perch were not eaten?????

with pike having a life span of 12-15 years... the lake will have very few in about 3-6 years. ( pike being killed by fishing/ disease/ old age/ etc... ) and not much spawn surviving...the past three years...

sure we should all just nymph fish for perch... you can catch them 4 at a time... im sure if one was allowed (byelaw) 6 flys/nymphs one could catch 6 at a time ....like mackerel....

i dont know, this forum lark is like talking to a brick wall

by the way FGF are you from the other Flyforums.co.uk.....? you sound like one of them LMAO. oh I do note you joined this forum same time as me..well one day after my first post.... are you following me around? bbbaaaaaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Brick walls or not - any more personal comments and the thread closes with bans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fergiesfav

Ya your dead right cutting Lagarosiphon is going to cause Pike in the Corrib to go extinct its not like they spawn in any other part of the lake:rolleyes:

Perch are also a predatory fish so large Perch are as likely to eat small perch as pike are!!

And ive never heard of a fish population in a healthy system turning the lake toxic!!!!!

Ya your dead right cutting Lagarosiphon is going to cause Pike in the Corrib to go extinct

It will kill a very high% not extinct as it is cut in march and april

its not like they spawn in any other part of the lake

With the spread of the weed to most areas on the lake pike and perch will find it and spawn there

Perch are also a predatory fish so large Perch are as likely to eat small perch as pike are!!

Large perch breed perch .... pike eat a lot more perch than perch, and they eat the big ones and pike are not the problem they are the solution..

Do your maths

And ive never heard of a fish population in a healthy system turning the lake toxic!!!!!

What do you call a lake that will eventually have bugger all Nymphs ... with millions of perch dead of starvation and disease

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You should get onto the wrfb and tell them they need to stop killing pike too.

You should get onto the wrfb and tell them they need to stop killing pike too.

sent this thread to the WRFB ... still waiting on them to come on here and explain why they are cutting all the weed in pike spawning months and not any other time...

I;ll tell you why....Because they dont give a **** about any fish that isnt a trout or salmon , narrow minded they are, if they realized that if they stopped the gillnetting and evertything else they do to kill pike , they would have a savage trout fishery in time to come.

• Advertisement

I;ll tell you why....Because they dont give a **** about any fish that isnt a trout or salmon , narrow minded they are, if they realized that if they stopped the gillnetting and evertything else they do to kill pike , they would have a savage trout fishery in time to come.

if they dont stop killing the pike spawn the trout are going to be the size of your finger... the trout will have to much competition for food with perch for nymphs etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Not an informed point. Here is why.
    They have over 40+ years had periods where culling was done, was half done, and not done for periods of several years.
    They have had plenty of opportunities to observe the results, not based on any theories, nut the results of different levels of cull, from all that can be done, to no cull.

So they know a lot, they know from experience, and they know more than any other country because of their past policies.

Where it is now, the state of the art research on competing apex predator species in managed trout waters I mean, is a middle ground approach.

The "new" acknowledged knowledge is that pike numbers are governed by two things food availabilty, and spawning area as percentage of total water area. If the food is sufficient trout and pike can co-exist. If pike spawning is low, pike will be low, but if pike spawning is high, variable rate culling will be used in the future. In other words, there is now an accepted level of pike.

coolwings wrote: »
    Not an informed point. Here is why.
    They have over 40+ years had periods where culling was done, was half done, and not done for periods of several years.
    They have had plenty of opportunities to observe the results, not based on any theories, nut the results of different levels of cull, from all that can be done, to no cull.

So they know a lot, they know from experience, and they know more than any other country because of their past policies.

Where it is now, the state of the art research on competing apex predator species in managed trout waters I mean, is a middle ground approach.

The "new" acknowledged knowledge is that pike numbers are governed by two things food availabilty, and spawning area as percentage of total water area. If the food is sufficient trout and pike can co-exist. If pike spawning is low, pike will be low, but if pike spawning is high, variable rate culling will be used in the future. In other words, there is now an accepted level of pike.

they obviously have no experience with this weed, and have no clue about balancing the pike perch population as far as i know the WRFG mission is to restore water systems to there best ... to be fair... it looks like it will be a disaster on the Corrib

Goals and Objectives - WRFB
    • To conserve and protect the ecology of fisheries habitats
    • To promote and develop the concepts of sustainable development and the catchment management process for the long term health and best use of the resources
    • To conserve, protect, manage and promote the development of the fisheries resources to achieve the optimal sustainable return to the economy
    • To promote and market Ireland's angling product to optimise employment in angling and angling related businesses, particularly in rural communities
    • To develop, encourage and maintain high standards of fisheries management

Translation: to do the best and make the most of what we have, regardless of the problems that abound!

Getting back to the subject of your thread.
    You are concerned that cutting laharosiphon weed invasive colonies which have pike spawn attached will reduce the pike population of Corrib.
    Yes it will, but that's not so bad as you fear.
    Because the weed represents a pike spawning area which is not natural, and therefore an emerging lagarosiphon weedbed can be spawned in, raising levels of baby pike above what they would otherwise be.
    But it should not be there at all. So cutting it will remove that unnatural pike spawning ground leaving the other natural ones still elsewhere .

As a matter of fact, if this particular weed is allowed to grow unchecked it will block off circulation of light and water to the bay in which it grows, eliminate biodiversity and cause the bottom to become muddy and toxic, and this would then deny the pike their natural hunting environment, 2' - 15 ' depth shallows, thus reducing big pike population later on by denial of food = slower growth to smaller size.
    So removing this invasive weed will allow pike to remain closer to their natural numbers - the natural balance over the lengthy period they evolved alongside trout in this lake.
    You keep mentioning perch.
    Perch are cyclical, they come and go over the decades. If 20 tons of perch were removed tomorrow, the remainder would grow faster to a bigger size and with fewer bigger perch, the total perch biomass would soon be right back to where it is now. But bigger perch would pose a bigger threat to migrating salmon smolts, so it's not all bad.
    Chillax and go fishing!

Translation: to do the best and make the most of what we have, regardless of the problems that abound!

Getting back to the subject of your thread.
    You are concerned that cutting laharosiphon weed invasive colonies which have pike spawn attached will reduce the pike population of Corrib.
    Yes it will, but that's not so bad as you fear.
    Because the weed represents a pike spawning area which is not natural, and therefore an emerging lagarosiphon weedbed can be spawned in, raising levels of baby pike above what they would otherwise be.
    But it should not be there at all. So cutting it will remove that unnatural pike spawning ground leaving the other natural ones still elsewhere .

As a matter of fact, if this particular weed is allowed to grow unchecked it will block off circulation of light and water to the bay in which it grows, eliminate biodiversity and cause the bottom to become muddy and toxic, and this would then deny the pike their natural hunting environment, 2' - 15 ' depth shallows, thus reducing big pike population later on by denial of food = slower growth to smaller size.
    So removing this invasive weed will allow pike to remain closer to their natural numbers - the natural balance over the lengthy period they evolved alongside trout in this lake.
    You keep mentioning perch.
    Perch are cyclical, they come and go over the decades. If 20 tons of perch were removed tomorrow, the remainder would grow faster to a bigger size and with fewer bigger perch, the total perch biomass would soon be right back to where it is now. But bigger perch would pose a bigger threat to migrating salmon smolts, so it's not all bad.
    Chillax and go fishing!

i don’t think you got my drift on it...

perch spawn is not being removed while pike spawn is , which is creating a boom on the perch side of things... and im not talking about a natural boom im talking about a man made boom / problem ... which is ten times worse......

all i am asking is not to cut the weed in march and april May june... cut it any other time.... it is not as if they cut the weed all the time anyway... they dont have the money... so why do most of the cutting when the pike spawn is there...

by the way i could not care if there was no pike in the lake as long as there was no perch but we got to live with what is there... and not interfere with predatorily balance

"by the way i could not care if there was no pike in the lake as long as there was no perch but we got to live with what is there... and not interfere with predatorily balance "

Go fsh in a stockie pond so.

DFF: Corrib is a mixed fishery, managed for game fishing. That's what it says on the label, perch is included free!
    In Corrib perch are a trash fish, courtesy of the person who introduced this alien specie 150 years ago (though they are valued in mixed coarse fisheries) but you may have noticed, nobody has spare resources to expend removing them.
    The perch is at a cyclical peak, so are many other organisms that perch eat. That will wear off.
    The fry of those perch will make the trout harder to catch, but during this and next 2 months the trout will be putting on pounds eating high protein perch fry by the millions and just watch this autumn the condition they will be in.
    In the meantime the surface fly fishing will dip in reaction to abundant food deeper in the water.

My last in this thread.

DFF: Corrib is a mixed fishery, managed for game fishing. That's what it says on the label, perch is included free!
    In Corrib perch are a trash fish, courtesy of the person who introduced this alien specie 150 years ago (though they are valued in mixed coarse fisheries) but you may have noticed, nobody has spare resources to expend removing them.
    The perch is at a cyclical peak, so are many other organisms that perch eat. That will wear off.
    The fry of those perch will make the trout harder to catch, but during this and next 2 months the trout will be putting on pounds eating high protein perch fry by the millions and just watch this autumn the condition they will be in.
    In the meantime the surface fly fishing will dip in reaction to abundant food deeper in the water.

My last in this thread.

because of mans intervention the perch are not at there cyclical peak and wont be for a few more years... and by then you might go upppss that DFF guy was right or just blame some other factor so as not to take the blame.... but at the end of the day its to late...and we live in Ireland and everyone just points the finger and looks the other way and its all gone to SH** like everything else...

bigger perch would pose a bigger threat to migrating salmon smolts, so it's not all bad.
    Chillax and go fishing!

so you think that perch are a bigger threat to salmon smolts now... now that most of the pike population is killed before birth im sure they will be soon if ever one grew that big LMAO...

im sure your happy about that...

as you said perch kill themselves off in the end anyway... but that is a big problem when there are millions ... and to kill themselves off they have to kill most of the food... therefore not much for a trout and perch or trout wont grow big

is it that the WRFB is run by salmon fanatics...

is there tactic to kill off most of the pike and let the perch destroy themselves and the trout end up small but will recover over time...

they cant be that stupid????

sounds like the corrib will end up like a stocky lake to keep people fishing for decent size trout in the devastated years to come

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I really do wonder how supposedly intelligent people can post such utter rubbish on these boards. What's even more ironic is these people's utter certainty in their beliefs, even if they are contrary to scientific principles, years of research, educated opinion of highly respected scientists, etc. Oh no, they're right and everyone else is wrong.
    DFF, you have provided me with great entertainment over the last few weeks, just when I think you can't get any odder you post another batshit crazy theory. For that, I would like to thank you. As for your opinions.... well, :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Good man yourself! ;)

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    I really do wonder how supposedly intelligent people can post such utter rubbish on these boards. What's even more ironic is these people's utter certainty in their beliefs, even if they are contrary to scientific principles, years of research, educated opinion of highly respected scientists, etc. Oh no, they're right and everyone else is wrong.
    DFF, you have provided me with great entertainment over the last few weeks, just when I think you can't get any odder you post another batshit crazy theory. For that, I would like to thank you. As for your opinions.... well, :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Good man yourself! ;)

prove the theory wrong....:D ... no one else can...:D.... its just maths... give it a go...

uuupppsss ... running a fishery with maths.... o god you will be telling me that is insane.... LMAO

wake up call.... everything is run by maths / numbers / theroms / equations

Just maths eh? Yet you haven't produced a single statistic to back up your posts. You're the one coming up with mad theories, its up to you to prove it.

Tell us how many acres of Lagarosiphon weed there are.

Tell us how many acres of native reeds and weed there are.

Tell us what percentage of pike spawning habitat is occupied by Lagarosiphon weed.

Tell us how you know that pike are spawning preferentially in the Lagarosiphon weed.

Tell us how many million pike spawn are being killed by weed harvesting.

Tell us how many perch this is saving.

Tell us how many trout are having their growth stunted because of this.

Tell us why you don't know why the Lagarosiphon weed cannot be cut in summer.

An awful lot of variables in your theory, an awful lot of statistics you would need to prove it. Very easy to come up with a theory, a lot harder to prove it. But what would I know, I only studied science and who really needs research or stats when you can post any old theory you want on an internet forum and state it as fact...

Just maths eh? Yet you haven't produced a single statistic to back up your posts. You're the one coming up with mad theories, its up to you to prove it.

Tell us how many acres of Lagarosiphon weed there are.

Tell us how many acres of native reeds and weed there are.

Tell us what percentage of pike spawning habitat is occupied by Lagarosiphon weed.

Tell us how you know that pike are spawning preferentially in the Lagarosiphon weed.

Tell us how many million pike spawn are being killed by weed harvesting.

Tell us how many perch this is saving.

Tell us how many trout are having their growth stunted because of this.

Tell us why you don't know why the Lagarosiphon weed cannot be cut in summer.

An awful lot of variables in your theory, an awful lot of statistics you would need to prove it. Very easy to come up with a theory, a lot harder to prove it. But what would I know, I only studied science and who really needs research or stats when you can post any old theory you want on an internet forum and state it as fact...

Do you work for the Corrib fishery? WRFB? if you do iv been waiting a long time... what took you so long...

Why do you not know the answers to your own questions... ?

are you trying to get someone else to do your research for you....

Do you think you should be running the fishery if you dont know those answers?

Are you going to pay me for stats...lol...with perch

and by the way your not the only one thats done science.... but iv been in the field.. or should i say lake for years, have you?

fish stats that seem to be important are only salmon and seatrout... all stats are given by us lot... maybe you should set up a trout perch pike location and size and amount... I know my stats for years... ask average joe thats on the corrib a lot... he will tell you the same.. if he knows his stuff...

if you dont believe me ask only one question to anyone that fishes that lake=(do the trout seem to be getting small on average?) or ( are there very few small pike being caught) or ( is there a lot more perch being caught ) or (where are they seeing most of the pike)

stick a few trackers on the pike and you will find they go to the infected areas to spawn

Do you work for the Corrib fishery? WRFB? if you do iv been waiting a long time... what took you so long...

Why do you not know the answers to your own questions... ?

are you trying to get someone else to do your research for you....

Do you think you should be running the fishery if you dont know those answers?

Are you going to pay me for stats...lol...with perch

and by the way your not the only one thats done science.... but iv been in the field.. or should i say lake for years, have you?

fish stats that seem to be important are only salmon and seatrout... all stats are given by us lot... maybe you should set up a trout perch pike location and size and amount... I know my stats for years... ask average joe thats on the corrib a lot... he will tell you the same.. if he knows his stuff...

if you dont believe me ask only one question to anyone that fishes that lake=(do the trout seem to be getting small on average?) or ( are there very few small pike being caught) or ( is there a lot more perch being caught ) or (where are they seeing most of the pike)

stick a few trackers on the pike and you will find they go to the infected areas to spawn

As I thought, you haven't a single scrap of evidence to back up your theory, just your own observations. Fishery management has to be run on scientific advice - i.e. there are scientists who monitor and survey fish stocks and advise fishery managers. They collect something called data - facts and figures, which enable them to make informed decisions about managing a fishery. Not opinion, not theory, not supposition. Facts. Of which you seem to have very few.
    You also seem to be unaware that pike are removed from the lake every year as part of the management strategy. Why the hell would you expect the fishery board to leave pike spawn alone when they are removing thousands of pike? And thats done on scientific advice too.

The Water Framework Directive compels member states to survey fish stocks and compile data on all species, not just salmon and sea trout. So you're wrong again there.

Anyway, until you can back up your madcap theory with some facts I'm out of here. You come on here and post your theories, and if anyone disagrees with you, you challenge them to disprove you. :rolleyes:
    If you studied science you would know that theory is nothing without data to back it up.

Here's a short example of fact vs theory, just in case you didn't get it.
    Pike are preferential predators on salmonids, i.e. they feed on trout and salmon in preference to other species. That's a fact, and has been published in peer-reviewed literature. Go to a college library and look it up.
    Now a theory would be that the reason this is so is because perch, for example, have spines and spiky opercula. We could speculate that pike would prefer to eat a fish that doesn't have such spines. But you know what, its a theory that doesn't matter, because we know the fact is that pike prefer trout. And that fact is more relevant to fishery management than the theory of why pike like trout, so it has been researched and proven with data.

As I thought, you haven't a single scrap of evidence to back up your theory, just your own observations. Fishery management has to be run on scientific advice - i.e. there are scientists who monitor and survey fish stocks and advise fishery managers. They collect something called data - facts and figures, which enable them to make informed decisions about managing a fishery. Not opinion, not theory, not supposition. Facts. Of which you seem to have very few.
    You also seem to be unaware that pike are removed from the lake every year as part of the management strategy. Why the hell would you expect the fishery board to leave pike spawn alone when they are removing thousands of pike? And thats done on scientific advice too.

The Water Framework Directive compels member states to survey fish stocks and compile data on all species, not just salmon and sea trout. So you're wrong again there.

Anyway, until you can back up your madcap theory with some facts I'm out of here. You come on here and post your theories, and if anyone disagrees with you, you challenge them to disprove you. :rolleyes:
    If you studied science you would know that theory is nothing without data to back it up.

Here's a short example of fact vs theory, just in case you didn't get it.
    Pike are preferential predators on salmonids, i.e. they feed on trout and salmon in preference to other species. That's a fact, and has been published in peer-reviewed literature. Go to a college library and look it up.
    Now a theory would be that the reason this is so is because perch, for example, have spines and spiky opercula. We could speculate that pike would prefer to eat a fish that doesn't have such spines. But you know what, its a theory that doesn't matter, because we know the fact is that pike prefer trout. And that fact is more relevant to fishery management than the theory of why pike like trout, so it has been researched and proven with data.

pike like trout a lot and salmon smolts.. but it is fact that trout and salmon smolts are not there primary food in the corrib....:D.. perch are

and you have no factual data, just your hired employee observations who are influenced by there preference for boosting salmon stocks... and you have no data to disprove... the theory...

and i do have my own data and fish counts ... and so does every one else that fishes the lake... maybe you should use this information instead of paper shuffler info,

the only reason you want to kill off the pike is because of the hate champagnes that have been going on for years due to ignorance ... you are just making the corrib a perch lake.... with small trout...

because you have killed so much pike ...do your scientists know the effect of this....now there is a huge perch explosion and what it is doing to the corrib ?

oh i forgot.. the perch will kill themselves off in the end... LMAO ... but they have to eat themselves to starvation to do that.. no food for trout... well ...enough food to keep trout small.... but the lake will recover...

who cares all the breeding grounds for salmon and trout are above lough corrib...

and by the way i stuck a video on here of WRFB killing the pike on the upper corrib water systems because some prat introduced them into the spawning grounds..

You're in the wrong forum, you should be posting in Ranting & Raving... :rolleyes:

Still no facts to back up your "theory"?

You're in the wrong forum, you should be posting in Ranting & Raving... :rolleyes:

Still no facts to back up your "theory"?

go ask any guide on the lake has the fishing changed...

trout are not in the shallows any more...

traditional nymph and fly are decimated... to a certain extent..

ask your self why?

what year did you lot start systematically killing off the pike?

ask yourself why are the traditional nymphs not as abundant...

ask yourself what perch eat primarily...

ask yourself how fast is the perch population growing...

ask yourself why are the trout on average getting smaller over the past two years.. they were getting bigger on average until you lot cut the weed when the pike were spawning...

all i am asking is to stop cutting the weed when the pike are spawning... for above reasons... and if you don't think that there is enough there.... well i presume you are only into getting your salmon stocks high... and don't give a sh** about anything else.... and even though pike would like to eat your salmon smolts they dont do much damage in Louch Corrib itself...

pike will stay near the shoals of perch.. they dont move location at a certain time of year to kill off your smolts... and trout are to fast for pike in general

go ask any guide on the lake has the fishing changed...

trout are not in the shallows any more...

traditional nymph and fly are decimated... to a certain extent..

Really? So those big hatches of duckfly, olives, mayfly and buzzer that I saw this year aren't traditional? They must be new fangled flies so, if the "traditional" nymphs are gone... :rolleyes:

what year did you lot start systematically killing off the pike?

You lot? I've never killed a pike on Corrib in my life. Only pike I ever killed were in Northern Ireland on a survey. And pike have been controlled with nets on Corrib for over 100 years.

ask yourself why are the traditional nymphs not as abundant...

"Traditional" nymphs? And who says they aren't abundant, you? Where do the adult insects come from if the nymphs aren't there anymore??

ask yourself what perch eat primarily...

ask yourself how fast is the perch population growing...

I don't know, but I'm sure the scientists who carry out the surveys and advise the fisheries board do. Do you have any quantitative data, apart from your own observations while angling??

ask yourself why are the trout on average getting smaller over the past two years.. they were getting bigger on average until you lot cut the weed when the pike were spawning...

You lot again? I've never cut any weed in my life either. But I would hazard a guess that the wet summers of the last 3 years has meant very high survival of trout parr in the streams, as the streams haven't dried up = more habitat and food available. As these parr grow and recruit to the lake population, they will skew the average size of trout. This has happened before, and it will happen again. Most anglers recognise that a lot of small trout means over the next few years we should have good fishing as these fish grow larger. I met and fished with a few guides over the olive/mayfly period this year, and they were delighted to see so many small fish - to them its a good sign for the future.

all i am asking is to stop cutting the weed when the pike are spawning... for above reasons... and if you don't think that there is enough there.... well i presume you are only into getting your salmon stocks high... and don't give a sh** about anything else.... and even though pike would like to eat your salmon smolts they dont do much damage in Louch Corrib itself...

pike will stay near the shoals of perch.. they dont move location at a certain time of year to kill off your smolts... and trout are to fast for pike in general

Trout are too fast for pike?? Either you're having a laugh, clutching at straws, or you haven't a clue. I know which one I'd go for...

Really? So those big hatches of duckfly, olives, mayfly and buzzer that I saw this year aren't traditional? They must be new fangled flies so, if the "traditional" nymphs are gone...

You must have caught some mighty fish if they were that plentiful? Those giant trout would have come up and eaten everything around them...Do tell i love a fishy tale...

Only pike I ever killed were in Northern Ireland on a survey. And pike have been controlled with nets on Corrib for over 100 years.

Nets are not fish specific.. so they do not target just pike... so they only kill a bit of everything...don’t unbalance the lakes fish types... and have not been used on Lough Corrib in years.

"Traditional" nymphs? And who says they aren't abundant, you? Where do the adult insects come from if the nymphs aren't there anymore??

LMAO – you probably have never seen that lake in the good times... if you don’t believe me ask a competition angler.. someone who knows his stuff and is not being paid to keep you happy...

I don't know, but I'm sure the scientists who carry out the surveys and advise the fisheries board do. Do you have any quantitative data, apart from your own observations while angling??

LMAO – all my data is quantitative iv been keeping it for years...

But I would hazard a guess that the wet summers of the last 3 years has meant very high survival of trout parr in the streams, as the streams haven't dried up = more habitat and food available. As these parr grow and recruit to the lake population, they will skew the average size of trout.
    This has happened before, and it will happen again. Most anglers recognise that a lot of small trout means over the next few years we should have good fishing as these fish grow larger. I met and fished with a few guides over the olive/mayfly period this year, and they were delighted to see so many small fish - to them its a good sign for the future.

Guides are there to keep an angler on the fish and keep you happy.. but they do talk about stuff they don’t mean... trying to put a positive spin on it all ... they really want to say .... jesus this lake is full of crappy small fish... why the hell are they not growing this year... the small fish were never this small ...ever..... and where the hell are the bigger fish... jesus i cant seem to get a decent fish off this lake anymore on the fly... whats going on... ...

Or have you personally caught many a big fish during the day 9am-7pm on the corrib this year or last ??????

Trout are too fast for pike?? Either you're having a laugh, clutching at straws, or you haven't a clue. I know which one I'd go for...

Yes trout are a bit tricky for a pike to catch... easier for them to just eat a perch in Lough Corrib.. have you personally ever observed the way lough corrib pike behave?

• Advertisement

Nets are not fish specific.. so they do not target just pike... so they only kill a bit of everything...don’t unbalance the lakes fish types... and have not been used on Lough Corrib in years.

This alone tells me you have no idea what you're talking about. Gillnets and electrofishing are used each and every year on Corrib to remove pike. The mesh size and areas fished ensures that 95% of the fish taken in the nets are pike. Large pike are released again, smaller pike are culled. Anyone who fishes Corrib regularly knows they are used.
    I'm out of this thread, pointless debating with someone who has silly theories, no facts to back them up, and clearly little knowledge of how the lake is actually managed.

Advertisement