Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A retrograde step?

• 26-05-2010 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭

Salmon netting to recommence in the Castlemaine harbour, Co. Kerry.

I, for one, would be very annoyed if I were in either of the angling clubs mentioned in the article considering the cost of the conservation stamp on their recreational salmon angling licences.

Opinions on the matter?

Article here from todays The Examiner

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Same old game, get it back from the brink, then business as usual.
    I hope this is fishing for fish entering the single watershed, and not open sea fishing for fish destined to both local and far away rivers.
    The east coast rivers have hardly budged off rock bottom, they crashed far below viable critical mass of salmon numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

coolwings wrote: »
    I hope this is fishing for fish entering the single watershed, and not open sea fishing for fish destined to both local and far away rivers.

I believe several large rivers empty into that particular estuary so it is not a case of netting a single system.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

I thought commercial salmon fishing was stopped and that was the end of it. This is, of course, the thin end of the wedge. It's only a matter of time before licences are granted to other fisheries. Very frustrating for the many people who campaigned so hard for so long. Ah, well, that's politics.

Time to scriobh a litir to the esteemed Minister and express my opposition to this: conor.lenihan@oireachtas.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Same cr*p excuses given by the japanese who kill hundreds of whales for the so called sake of science :mad: .

A clear exemple of politics being pressure by economical demands and the ecologic common sense is just thrown to the trash.

Is there any report and figures given by the governement to show that the system can sustain such a pressure ?

BoarHunter wrote: »
    Is there any report and figures given by the governement to show that the system can sustain such a pressure ?

Just did a bit of a look up there and at least two rivers entering that system are closed to recreational angling for the conservation of salmon stocks (SWRFB website)....yet the minister decides the system can tolerate commercial netting?

This is really a short sighted development. What the hell are we paying for conservation stamps for as part of our licence?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

It is ridiculous. But is it surprising really. Does that ‘minister’ not realise the tourism potential from salmon angling over and above indiscriminate unsustainable netting…. how did we end up with such bad incompetent and uninformed politicians….after all the heartache fianna failure who ruined our economy are bowing again to a little bit of pressure from a narrow minded "me myself and I" minority who couldn’t give a monkeys about anybody else except themselves. That mentality has this country the way it is. Conservation? Conservation stamp my arse.

…. how did we end up with such bad incompetent and uninformed politicians….after all the heartache fianna failure who ruined our economy are bowing again to a little bit of pressure from a narrow minded "me myself and I" minority who couldn’t give a monkeys about anybody else except themselves

There is an irony in this situation considering the "greens" are part of this government. :rolleyes:

So much for their policies being put into practice

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

I like the little sentence at the end of the article on the angling clubs' objections. It is grossly unfair to anglers when you consider the excessive cost of the conservation stamp which by my guess could be much higher than €50 per salmon killed by anglers. What will the Castlemaine netsmen pay into the compensation fund for each salmon killed? Anglers are effectively being asked to fund the early retirement of coastal netsmen so that any available surpluses can be targeted by esturine nets. They are the only winners.

My email to Minister Lenihan. I will post a reply if I get it. :rolleyes:

Minister Lenihan,

I write with regard your recent decision to review the ban on commercial salmon netting in Castlemaine Harbour, Co. Kerry.

As a keen angler I am well aware of the need for best practice when it comes to our dwindling salmon stocks. For far too long has the exploitation of salmon and other species been allowed to continue and the result has been the devastation of our stocks. We have a wonderful resource here in Ireland of pure, unspoilt lakes and rivers. The potential these lakes and rivers have to be enjoyed by anglers from home and abroad has been long since proven. By allowing the commercial netting to continue you risk jeopardizing not only the stocks but the potential for a sustainable tourism industry surrounding this particular resource. Many rivers are close to critical levels of returning spawning fish.

Can I ask why us anglers are paying a conservation stamp on our salmon licences when you allow unsustainable netting of this particular system? Can I ask why you believe that the system can tolerate commercial netting when several of the rivers entering that system are still closed to recreational angling (Central Fisheries Board website) as it is deemed the stocks are not sufficient on even catch and release basis?

Your government has already put massive burdens on the future generations of this country through shortsighted policies. Please don't let the rebuilding of our natural resources be another thing on an ever lengthening list of future problems.

I look forward to your reply,

Regards,

Seafields

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Good idea.
    Will do similar later.

• Advertisement

That was fast....

"I think you should study carefully the proposal. I shall send you the detaills. Regards Conor Lenihan. "

was that the reply you got??? my god i was right.

SeaFields wrote: »
    There is an irony in this situation considering the "greens" are part of this government. :rolleyes:

So much for their policies being put into practice

the greens have done nothing for our rivers and loughs or our natural environment for that matter.....has pollution levels/problems dropped since they got into power........i dont think so..... ah well at least they will have achieved something like putting rugby on television....serious green environmental policy that is.......two years to go the greens and fianna failure will be gone..........gone.........gone.......for good.. if the Irish people have any brains at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Drake66

It is ridiculous. But is it surprising really. Does that ‘minister’ not realise the tourism potential from salmon angling over and above indiscriminate unsustainable netting…. how did we end up with such bad incompetent and uninformed politicians….after all the heartache fianna failure who ruined our economy are bowing again to a little bit of pressure from a narrow minded "me myself and I" minority who couldn’t give a monkeys about anybody else except themselves. That mentality has this country the way it is. Conservation? Conservation stamp my arse.

Unfortunately it is like talking to a brick wall. These people are just too ignorant of the bigger picture; they are so narrow-minded and greedy, they are just beneath contempt. It's the same story with the bass fishery: although in that case there is absolutely no published scientific evidence which suggests the bass fishery has recovered; and yet the commercial lobby once again wants to resume in its wholesale destruction.

Instead of allowing unsustainable and indiscriminate netting of these stocks, why does he not give out masses of grants to people setting up guiding businesses. At a time when Board Failte complains of the fall in visitor numbers, the government is conspiring to wipe out one of our true tourism resources. Utter unbelievable madness.

was that the reply you got??? my god i was right.

Yes, that was the initial response I received. I have since received another reply from the secretary of the minister saying that I will be forwarded the report on the netting as soon as its published next week.

That does raise another question tho...was the decision to open up the system to netting taken before all information was available? If so, I think it is possible that the minister may open up any system should enough lobbying take place. Very worrying for our salmon.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Yes, that was the initial response I received. I have since received another reply from the secretary of the minister saying that I will be forwarded the report on the netting as soon as its published next week.

That does raise another question tho...was the decision to open up the system to netting taken before all information was available? If so, I think it is possible that the minister may open up any system should enough lobbying take place. Very worrying for our salmon.

presumably this 'pilot scheme' wont start until next season???

presumably this 'pilot scheme' wont start until next season???

I post the details of the report as soon as i have them (if the report is sent to me).

Also lads, if you care about your salmon and seatrout i'd say a quick email to the minister outlining your objections wouldn't do any harm. If he decide to start opening fisheries, his plans could really devastate the stocks.

Just an update....I emailed the minister again yesterday. It was a month to the day when I was supposed to receive the report. It still hasn't been forwarded. I got a reply to say, again, it would be forwarded "shortly".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

politicians :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

the minister needs a good kick in the ass if he thinks he will get votes or whatever he is looking for .... from doing this...

every fishing forum will slate him...

he should resign for even considering it

• Advertisement

Finally got the report this morning.

he should resign for even considering it

DFF you must be dreaming that you are in a progressive society.... quickly wake up... wake up... wake up...a politician resigning a horrifying thought...what would we do without them?:pac:

Advertisement