Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drinking during pregnancy!

• 27-06-2008 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭

Do you think it is acceptable to drink in pregnancy?

Personally for me, A glass of wine (spritzer) at an occasion or the odd bottle of beer, I am not talking about every day, but from time to time a drink can be warranted.

I would not drink spirits.

What is everyone elses view on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

As a guy, I would prefer if my OH didn't drink any at all.

Especially early on, i's just not worth the risk and I think it would be a tad selfish, 9 month's is not a long time especially when the safety of your unborn child is concerned enough things can go wrong as it is..

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Mind Hunter 85

Personally no i do not think its acceptable to drink at all in pregnancy regardless of how light the alcohol content its still alcohol .
    There are lots of foods and stuff that needs to be avoided in pregnancy so whats one more thing to miss out on .
    And as the other poster says enough things can go wrong already ,why add another risk to the list.

also what is the odd drink from time to time ? are we talking once a week ,or month or couple months?

No offence is intended i understand your not drinking large amounts of alcohol ,or alcohol regularly and my post is only my opinion ,opinions difer widely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Id be annoyed if my OH drank during pregnancy, dont see the point in the odd drink.

Id also offer to not drink for the 9mths as some sort of support gesture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I drank the night of my birthday, West Coast Cooler and Sprite mixed together. I didn't drink much (I had three small bottles) and I haven't drank since I found out I was pregnant apart from that time.

I wouldn't touch spirits, there's still a bottle of vodka in the fridge from when I found out I was pregnant, hasn't been opened.

I wouldn't expect my boyfriend to give up drink though, just because I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I would say I have drank on four occasions in the last 5 months, A btl of beer or a Spritzer. Maximum was two spritzers on one occasion.

My consultant didnt seem to think it was life threatening to the baby. I think it would be a different story if I was drinking heavily or consuming alcohol on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I didn't drink, but then, I rarely drink anyways.
    I would say the occasional drink is ok (a couple of small glasses of wine or ine spirit); with this I mean once a month or so at a party etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Im just wondering out of the women who wouldnt drink during pregnancy how many of you smoke.I think smoking is much worse than someone having a spritzer

I dont smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Quality wrote: »
    I dont smoke.
    o im not aiming at you im talking bout the people who replied to the op i dont smoke either but i did have an occasional drink so long as your not drinking industrial strenght vodka a little drink does no harm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I don't smoke either :)

• Advertisement

marti101 wrote: »
    Im just wondering out of the women who wouldnt drink during pregnancy how many of you smoke.I think smoking is much worse than someone having a spritzer

I'm sure smoking is _worse_ and taken heroin/cocaine is a lot worse than smoking but irrelvant to the thread but why add any sort of risk?

surley not dirnking at all poses _less_ risk than the odd glass of wine...

so why add in any needles risk?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

why leave the house either, stay inside wrapped in packing material until your husband decides it's safe enough.

Isn't the odd pint of guiness good for all concerned when your preggers?

why leave the house either, stay inside wrapped in packing material until your husband decides it's safe enough.

Sorry, there's adults having a conversation here...

any amount of alcohol especially in the first 12 weeks can cause complications, now considering how hard is to get the unborn past these initial weeks taken a drink is adding undue risk

people generally have to leave the house, they don't have to have a few spritzers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Isn't the odd pint of guiness good for all concerned when your preggers?
    that went out of fashion a long time ago tbh,i think it was more a marketing campaign than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

I don't think an occassional drink is wrong during pregnancy. A low level alcoholic drink like a glass of shandy or spritzer is alright to have IMO, occassionally of course.

I believe smoking and drinking lots of coffee during pregnancy can cause more damage to the woman and baby moreso than an occassional drink.

When I was pregnant on my first I was advised by the midwife at the ante-natal classes an occassional drink is acceptable i.e. glass of wine, glass of guinness, shandy etc. When my iron levels were low I was advised to take iron supplements and if I wanted to have a glass of guinness. On my second child 3 years later I was told they are told they have to advise you against any alcohol at all. They change the rules all the time.

It's up to the mother and father to make responsible decisions on what should be eaten and drank during pregnancy. But I do believe if a man requests his other half to abstain from a substance during pregnancy he too should do the same in support.

I was advised to stay off the motorcycle during pregnancy on my first. That brought me to tears. I gave up the smokes alright and didn't cry about that but the motorcycle spin was the hardest of all....

ntlbell wrote: »
    any amount of alcohol especially in the first 12 weeks can cause complications, now considering how hard is to get the unborn past these initial weeks taken a drink is adding undue risk

I'm sorry but where did you hear this???

I'm sorry but where did you hear this???

From doctor's? consultant's when my OH had our first?

But I would of thought it would be common sense....

although small amounts may not to be as a big an issue later on, I dont think their's a safe time to think it's 9 months this a human being.

the list of complications and learning difficulties etc that can be caused even from very small amounts is just not worth it

whats the point in having one beer?

you can wrap it up anyway you want the simple fact is it's safer to _not_ drink and i just wouldn't take that risk with my child for the sake of a drink

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Do you think it is acceptable to drink in pregnancy?

Personally for me, A glass of wine (spritzer) at an occasion or the odd bottle of beer, I am not talking about every day, but from time to time a drink can be warranted.

I would not drink spirits.

What is everyone elses view on this?

Do you think it's fine to have the odd cigarette while pregnant?

ntlbell wrote: »

the list of complications and learning difficulties etc that can be caused even from very small amounts is just not worth it

Maybe you could show some evidence to support this statement.

• Advertisement

Maybe you could show some evidence to support this statement.

can you show me evidence that it causes absloutley no risk?

"We have known for a long time that drinking heavily during pregnancy could lead to major impairments in growth, behavior, and cognitive function in children," said Jennifer Willford, assistant professor of psychiatry at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, and the study's first author. "This paper clearly shows that even small amounts of alcohol during pregnancy can have a significant impact on child development."

"Learning and memory are cornerstones for success in school and in everyday life," added Sarah Mattson, assistant professor in the Department of Psychology, and associate director of the Center for Behavioral Teratology at San Diego State University. "Disruption of the ability to learn and remember new information jeopardizes the job of children, that is, to go to school. The inability to learn new information in the verbal or nonverbal domain will interfere with a child's ability to achieve alongside his or her peers."

from here

the paper is here

you ay have to sign up to read it...

but these professor's you know, they're mad, you enjoy your drinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

ntlbell you stated that first the burden of proof is on you, cite your references to back it up or with draw it.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    ntlbell you stated that first the burden of proof is on you, cite your references to back it up or with draw it.

done

Could you find a more scaremongering site....

I presume you dont drink at all... Looking at the side effects that this site is showing... You would be mad too.

Could you find a more scaremongering site....

I presume you dont drink at all... Looking at the side effects that this site is showing... You would be mad too.

Have you seen the effects of what smoking does to people pregnant or not? yet they still spend 7.40 on a pack to kill themselves

have you see the effects of cocaine/heroin? yet people do it every day.

Because the truth might scare you doesn't mean it's any less true

You asked for evidence, i provided it, now you're not happy with it.

Are you going to provide me with some evidence that proves they're no risks with drinking while pregnant?

I won't hold my breath.

Well there you go, It is my choice. And I choose to have a drink. There are plenty of risks I take unintentionally during my pregnancy. And there are other risks that I do take.

I drink a cup of coffee most days....

I lift my two year old son around...

I have had possibly 8 units of alcohol over 5 months.

If my consultant told me that I was putting my baby at risk by drink alcohol in the manner I do... I would stop without question.. Because I have had this conversation with my consultant and he has told me that moderation is fine. I will carry on.

Well there you go, It is my choice. And I choose to have a drink. There are plenty of risks I take unintentionally during my pregnancy. And there are other risks that I do take.

I drink a cup of coffee most days....

I lift my two year old son around...

I have had possibly 8 units of alcohol over 5 months.

If my consultant told me that I was putting my baby at risk by drink alcohol in the manner I do... I would stop without question.. Because I have had this conversation with my consultant and he has told me that moderation is fine. I will carry on.

I never said it wasn't your choice?

You're talking like you're trying to justify it to me there's no need you're not carrying my child :D. I'm not stating your right or wrong it is absloutley without doubt your choice..

You've asked peoples opinion on it I'm giving you mine

you asked me to back it up with evidence, I did.

Ok thanks you for your point of view.

Would anyone else like to give their views on drinking in pregnancy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭HoneyButterfly

I personally, definitely wouldn't.
    But I don't disagree with it, if its your choice and your being sensible about it. As you say, a glass of wine at a special occasion wouldn't be the worst thing you could do (but not early on in the pregnancy).
    But I just wouldn't see the point in taking any risks. Some risks you can't help, like 2nd hand smoke, or lifting your child, but I just don't agree with taking unnessessary risks. However, as I said, how harmful can one glass of wine be...its not like you're going out get locked!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sulukie

Hi Quality

I don't have a problem with the odd drink during pregnancy. That said I totally lost my taste for alcohol and coffee when I was pregnant. I had one glass of wine on my birthday and have only had a couple of glasses since ds was born. The thought of waking at six thirty puts me off. ;)

What really surprised me when I was pregnant and going to antenatal classes and hospital visits was the number of pregnant women who still smoke. Now I have never smoked so I probably don't understand how hard it is to give up but I found it very strange.

Sulukie

Advertisement