Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fly Tying lessons

• 08-06-2010 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I would be interested in having some fly tying lessons. I am on the Clare/Limerick border.

Any info on this ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 xxVickyxx

I know its not what your after, but seriously, just buy some cheap(ish) materials, decent tools and hit youtube every night for a few months. There are literally thousands of videos showing you everything you would ever need to know. When you start to tie reasonably good flies and have all your techniques down- you invest in top quality feathers and materials. And then thats when you will start tying really good flies. Thats how I started a few years ago. Just tie for a few hours every night. Thats what I have being doing since day one- just tying flies every night, and right now (3 years later) people say to me all the time that I should sell them, or tie commercially (hope I don't sound too big headed there :o )

goodluck with it anyway xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

thanks for the advice. I might start like this so !

i have a question though : the tip of the bobin holder always break the thread after a few rotations around the hook. What do you use to prevent this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

BoarHunter wrote: »
    i have a question though : the tip of the bobin holder always break the thread after a few rotations around the hook. What do you use to prevent this ?

never had that problem with a bobbin holder..the tip must have a sharp edge on it or a flaw somewhere..you might need to get another one with smooth rounded edge..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Look up Davie Mc Phail on you tube and go for some of his simple patterns. I think there's a fella called David Cammis who does more beginner type tutorials.

• Advertisement

I will change the bobin holder at the WE so ;)- thought you had to insert a little rubber pipe inside to prevent from breaking the thread.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

The newer bobbin holders are nice, but if you have the older kind they work just as well, provided you use them differently.
    For example, you can not whip over a hook shank the way McPhail does with the older bobbin holders.

If the bobbin holder is not flared or with a ceramic insert, place it in your palm, so the thread is coming out of the tube "inline" with the tube. Lay the thread along one finger and use your finger tips to wind around the hook. Now the thread will not fray and break.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

Hello,
    I would be interested in having some fly tying lessons. I am on the Clare/Limerick border.

Any info on this ?
    Hi BoarHunter.I think lessons would be the way to go just to give you an idea of proportion and how to handle and tie in different types of material.You would learn far quicker than from books or the net.However,check out www.ukflydressing.co.uk for different hints and tips.It is a very useful site for different patterns along with step by step instructions(with photos)in how to tie them.There is also an excellent post on dubbing techniques.One word of advise though,start with easy patterns to begin with eg.black pennel and tie on maybe a 10 or 12 hook.Keep tying it until you are happy with the result then move onto something else but stick with the bigger hook sizes for a while.Drop down to a size 14 and smaller as you become more proficient.Its all about practise and not getting too frustrated initially.Best of luck!

thanks rtc, i have now tied a few bibios and other easy patterns, it's getting in !

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

thanks rtc, i have now tied a few bibios and other easy patterns, it's getting in !
    Well done.I'm delighted,but beware.You might end up spending a fortune on stuff you don't need.I do it all the time.I have being tying my own for the last 2 years and the satisfaction of catching a trout on a fly you tied yourself is just great.If your stuck on something,just ask.I am not a great angler(or fly tier) and am still learning but if I know the answer I'll try to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 b.w.ollie

some of the angling clubs and schools hold fly tying classes over the winter months here on the east coast. check your local V.E.C night classes,or ask local anglers.

Advertisement