Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The sex of the baby

• 24-11-2008 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Hi all,

my friend told me that in public maternity hospital the doctors don't tell you the sex of the baby, because of many errors in the past.
    Is it true?
    If yes, the only way to know it is going to a private visit?
    Thanks everyone;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

They dont routinely tell you the sex of the baby in any hospital unless you ask as far as I know. If you ask they will tell you though,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

kmick wrote: »
    They dont routinely tell you the sex of the baby in any hospital unless you ask as far as I know. If you ask they will tell you though,

They will tell if you ask but they will (or should) say that they cant be 100%. The story may be bs but supposidly someone was told the sex by someone in the coombe and they went out a bought everything in girl/boy colours. When the baby was born the other sex they tried to sue the hospital.

Please note the story is most likely crap but its not impoosible to believe that something like that "could" happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

My friend's partner told me once that the sex was 'misdiagnosed' for somebody in her family. Must ask her again.

As said, they don't always offer to tell you, you have to ask. And even if you do ask, they might not be able to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭spupazza

Thanks everybody!:)
    I have my first visit the 2nd of January and I will be 19 weeks pregnant. So I think that can tell me the sex if I ask, hoping that the baby is in a good position to tell it.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My little cousin was definitely a girl until the day he was born;)
    They do make mistakes it is not 100% accurate.
    If you don't want to know the sex tell them before the scan.

• Advertisement

I want to know it, not to buy pink or blue clothes, but just for curiosity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭lolly22

Moonbeam wrote: »
    My little cousin was definitely a girl until the day he was born;).

LOL :D
    spupazza wrote: »
    I want to know it, not to buy pink or blue clothes, but just for curiosity!

I was the same, i wanted to know, for curiosity and for having name ready but the two scans that i had they couldnt tell, so i had to wait till the day and i was glad in the end that i waited :)

But pretty much what every one else has said, they dont tell you unless you ask them and even then they will tell you its never 100%

Best of luck with it all :)

thanks lolly22, I don't know for sure, but I sense that I will wait until the DOB to know it.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭lolly22

thanks lolly22, I don't know for sure, but I sense that I will wait until the DOB to know it.:D

No worries, :) sure once its healthy i think youll be happy what ever it is;) in the case that you dont get to find out, just be prepared with both names, i never worried bout the whole blue and pink thing, there not the only colours babies can were :p everything else pretty much falls into place. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Had mine in H Street early this year and was asked before the scan did we want to know the sex(es, as we were having twins). They said twin A was definitely a boy (he was very obvious, even I could tell!), and twin B probably a girl, but they could not say 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I wouldn't get them to tell you unless the baby is in a good position to tell (ie; legs not crossed, cord not in the way). My sis had 3D scan at around 5 mths & he swore blind it was a girl but had previously said "she" was in an awkward position.
    Cue a flurry of buying things girly, name choosing & friends & family buying little dresses. Didn't find out it was a boy til the scan 2 weeks before giving birth. Luckily my sister found it really funny. I think all the girly presents ended up going to people who had girls etc, so nothing wasted particularly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

My son was definitely a boy cause he started to wee when we were having a look. Gynae said he'd never seen it before.

lolly22 wrote: »
    No worries, :) sure once its healthy i think youll be happy what ever it is;) in the case that you dont get to find out, just be prepared with both names, i never worried bout the whole blue and pink thing, there not the only colours babies can were :p everything else pretty much falls into place. :)

I'm completely agree with you!
    It doesn't matter if is a boy or girl, just I want the baby healthy. The sex is just a curiosity, and I'm already ready with the names in both the cases.
    I think too that blue and pink are not the only colours that the babies can wear, i don't like, in case I will have a girl, having all the clothes pink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

When I went for my 20 weeks scan in the Rotunda I asked the midwife at the start of the scan that if she could, would she be able to tell me the sex of the baby, and the answer I got in return was...

"I have better things to be doing than telling you the sex of your baby".

I was speechless and didn't open my mouth for the rest of the scan... :(

I still don't know, I'm actually glad I don't... I have one pink and one blue baby gro packed in labour bag just in case!!

i'm going to the Rotunda too.
    I hope to find a better midwife.
    I can image the way you felt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

They will ask but sometimes just to cover their own backs they will tell you its not 100%.I think sometimes you just know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Shellymcg

I couldn't wait to find out the sex either and on my 22 week scan in Holles St we asked the midwife could she tell and she did say they couldn't be 100% sure but that it was a boy and then i got a 3d sc an done privately and that also proved it was a boy and on 30/09/2007 out popped a little boy so thankfully they didn't make a mistake.
    I have heard of a good few people who were expecting one sex and got another though :eek: scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭KBarry

Thanks everybody!:)
    I have my first visit the 2nd of January and I will be 19 weeks pregnant. So I think that can tell me the sex if I ask, hoping that the baby is in a good position to tell it.:rolleyes:

We had a scan at 16 weeks and, unless I'm remembering wrong, they said they can't really tell until about 22 weeks. Anybody been able to tell earlier than that?
    We don't get any more scans until about a month before the due date. Bit of a pain as we are struggling to think of a name if it's a boy :P

When I went for my 20 weeks scan in the Rotunda I asked the midwife at the start of the scan that if she could, would she be able to tell me the sex of the baby, and the answer I got in return was...

"I have better things to be doing than telling you the sex of your baby".

I was speechless and didn't open my mouth for the rest of the scan... :(

:eek: Wow! How incredibly rude. I think my head would have went if she'd spoken to us like that. Fair play to you for keeping your cool. Sounds like one sour (fill in your own blank)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Rotunda told the sex of the baby. Also said he was a little rascal on my hands. Boy did she call it right!

Advertisement