Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to buy photographic equipment and consumables

• 20-01-2003 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

www.deviantart.com

just another addition i thiought might be useful

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

As I seem to spend half my time on this board telling people where to purchase photo kit (which I don't mind doing, I hasten to add), I've decided to make a sticky with my recommendations.
    Those of you who are regulars will be familiar with these companies.
    I am a repeat customer with all of the following.

Used kit:

www.ffordes.com
    UK based.
    Great selection, very reliable and always good advice. Prices (even bearing in mind exchange rates and shipping costs always better than Irish retailers).

www.mxv.co.uk
    UK based.
    Selection not quite as good as Ffordes, but good all the same, reliable too, same point re. pricing as above.

New kit

www.ny-camera.com
    German based.
    Excellent prices, you will not buy cheaper (or anywhere near) in this country.

www.bhphotovideo.com
    US based.
    Good prices but to be honest you are likely to get stung for VAT and duty. However, I just could not resist sticking them in, the best range of photo kit in the world. If they ain't got it, it ain't worth having.
    BTW, if you are ever in Manhattan and have the time, pay them a visit, you will be impressed. They are on the corner of 9th and 33rd. They don't open Saturday (Jewish establishment).

Darkroom kit

www.thedarkroom.co.uk (RK Photographic)
    UK based.
    Anything you could want for the darkroom; papers, chemicals, accessories, enlargers, drums, tanks, processors, the lot. Good prices too.

Film

www.mx2.com
    Jersey based.
    Great prices for film and inkjet consumables, free delivery if you buy 50 rolls or more of film.

www.7dayshop.com
    Jersey based.
    Great prices for film and inkjet consumables, free delivery if you buy 50 rolls or more of film.

The two companies above are very similar but not the same so compare one against the other for your particular flavour of film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Would you please put a subsection for Wallpaper/Skins in the same line as deviantART? Much appreciated thanks :)

www.deviantart.com
    www.looroll.com/thesheets/

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

Definitely agree with Samson recomending Ffordes and 7dayShop.com

For Used equipment I'd also recomend
    http://www.jonathanharris.co.uk and
    http://www.robertwhite.co.uk who also sell the very addictive/not cheap Lee filters

For darkroom supplies all sorts of stuff like portfolios, mounts etc try http://www.silverprint.co.uk/ and also http://www.novadarkroom.com for used darkroom equipment

For cheapER new camera imports from Hong Kong try http://www.hksupplies.com/

Finally, closer to home the only Irish companies I would deal with are http://www.dml.ie and Image Supplies who try to hide the fact that they sell film and chemicals etc on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here but jessops is always worth checking out. Although they're not always the cheapest out there they often have bargain's on sale. Things like filters and other accessories etc (of which I've gotten lots of)..
    Also they are sort of the amazon.co.uk of the camera world. They offer free delivery to Ireland over a certain value (£50 or so iir).

Another jersey based site is www.photoglossy.com. I've used them in the past, great for bulk buying film and batteries.

davej

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

As for offline shops

Camera exchange on george's st is the best i've found round dublin so far, they've another smaller outlet just off dame st.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

No, no, no. Gunne's on Wexford St is the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

Do Gunnes have a website?

I wouldn't imagine so, it's run by a friendly old couple. Because of their proximity to the Dublin Camera Club they get a lot of business from there.

PS: Mods! do your job - clean up/organise this "resource" page. :)

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

I concur with the report on Gunnes. Friendly, knowledgeable, good value. There's another shop around the corner - Image Supply Systems - that look to be good value too.

Where are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

They are in a lane behind Wexford St.
    I know them by position but can't find a receipt from them.

Google tells me

Image Supply Systems, Image House, Liberty Lane Camden Row, Dublin 8 ,
    Email :images@indigo.ie Phone ++353 1 4782520 Fax ++353 1 4783953. ...
    www.imagesupplysystems.ie/

This is a good uk site:

UK Nights

davej

Originally posted by Sysmod
    I concur with the report on Gunnes. Friendly, knowledgeable, good value.
    Totally. I bought a Canon 50mm lens there today. Dublin Camera Exchange sells it for €199. Gunne's sold it for €140 - standard price - and threw in a UV filter 'cos I asked and trusted me enough to come back later to pay off €12.50 on some film I bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Here are a few numbers of the best camera stores for anyone looking for them:

The Camera Centre: 01 677 5594
    BEE: 01 450 9044
    HP: 1850 200 277
    Hahnel Industries: 023 41606
    Canon: 01 205 2400
    Sony: 01 413 1700

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ka

Thanks these are great links and very helpful :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 calablanca

No spam please.
    If you want to advertise here, contact the admins for banner rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 tonybrasco

What part of the above did you not understand?
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 tonybrasco

this is ridiculous.
    I recently told the owner of that site, whom i got a camera from, about that forum, so he replied to one of the post (without taking notice of the no advertising disclaimer, and his post got removed. fair enough)
    But am I not free to mention the existence of his service, which is relevant to a post, where camera suppliers are being listed? He sent me an email to tell that his post had been removed, so I decided to sign up and mention this guy, who is according to me totally relevant to this post.
    That's it.
    Now you are free to do whatever you want with that information but I think it would be a pity not to share it, it's as simple as that.
    Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭spectacleinrock

Gunnes is the cheapest and most helpful place in dublin! Especially if they know u are a student

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭michaelpwilson

After many days' searching on the net for the best deal on a Canon PowerShot A80 digital camera, searching sites from the USA to Hong Kong, I found that Internet Cameras Direct won the price war hands down. You might have to pay about STG£14 for delivery to the Republic but it still worked out the cheapest by far (for me). Service was quite good, delivery took two days, excellent packaging. My only gripe is that they never answered an email I had sent to them prior to my purchase. Their post-sales phone support seemed okay though. Just my 2c.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

That is by a mile the most expensive place i've seen anywhere (except Conn's Cameras of course) for a Canon 10D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ka

www.7dayshop.com is very reasonable for film paper etc.... based in Channel Islands so cheaper - postage reasonable.

Ka:--)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 George_h

I've found that http://www.gogo-power.co.uk does a good range of digital camera batteries. Efficient too

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭annR

Where do you buy yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭andrea

I go to Price Storm for my ink cartridges, paper and other things. Although I did buy some lovely glossy photo paper in PC World lately, which seems to work quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Merrion

Hettys Darkroom - B&W processing and printing - and darkroom courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Has anyone used www.pixmania.com

I am about to buy a camera from them....

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭andrea

I was going to a few times but was recently strongly advised not to use pixmania. Apparently things go "out of stock" that were in stock at time of ordering and especially if you do not order the recommended packs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭djmagra

Samson wrote:
    www.bhphotovideo.com
    US based.
    Good prices but to be honest you are likely to get stung for VAT and duty. However, I just could not resist sticking them in, the best range of photo kit in the world. If they ain't got it, it ain't worth having.

So, just how likely are you to get stung do you reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

djmagra wrote:
    Samson wrote:
    www.bhphotovideo.com
    So, just how likely are you to get stung do you reckon?

Very likely, in my experience, for bulky items. Memory cards, software on CDs etc come in without being stopped.

Being "stung" is relative though. It is often signifigantly cheaper to pay VAT & Tax than buying here. Budget for the duty & Vat and make your choice after that.

Valentia.

Advertisement