Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Germany wants new debate on EU CONSTITUTION..for real this time around..

• 24-03-2012 1:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/09/us-eu-constitution-germany-idUSBRE82818020120309

Germany wants new Eu constitution.........they seem quite certain.

Uk obiously out...

Sweden not keen...

France...i am not certain

I mean they trot this one out every few years.

Perhaps Germany feels it has now the leverage to drive its power where it wants.

Ireland..i don't think they care if we are in or out....I hope we are out.

I personnally think the debate could be a nail in the coffin for the Euro...i think if Germany does not get its way it will walk.

And there is no way this is going to pass....

1 . Do we believe it?? 2 . Would it stand a chance??? 3. And would it work??

1 . Maybe... 2. No 3. No

Opinions???

Nothing in the Irish media about this..all over the net though

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Given it took nearly 10years to develop Lisbon, and that the French voted against the last EU constitutional treaty it is thus likely that this German proposal will not be actualised for years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Thank you for moving the thread mods and sorry:-)

So basically they are getting a head start on years of negotiation which will enter in to a time of an entirely new level of Euro scepticism ?

I think EU sentiment is going to be a lot more resentful.

The Germans maybe the french seem to be the only ones in favour.

I don't see the point of it in years to come if things keep going the way they are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

The Treaty of the European Union and the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union are basically a constitution anyway. I suppose it depends on the contents rather than what it is called.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

IMO, the EU is merely the platform for European integration. The real developments will take place within subsets operating through common policies - as provided for in Lisbon.

The Euro is an example of a development which attracts some or most, but not all EU members. A common defence policy will attract an even smaller core. Co-ordinated foreign policy will also advance through a core of maybe only a dozen member states.

It's possible that out of this some kind of federation of the core states may emerge, thus leaving the EU as a kind of super-single market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

McDave wrote: »
    IMO, the EU is merely the platform for European integration. The real developments will take place within subsets operating through common policies - as provided for in Lisbon.

The Euro is an example of a development which attracts some or most, but not all EU members. A common defence policy will attract an even smaller core. Co-ordinated foreign policy will also advance through a core of maybe only a dozen member states.

It's possible that out of this some kind of federation of the core states may emerge, thus leaving the EU as a kind of super-single market.

(shudder)

• Advertisement

(shudder)
    Yes, but would you care to articulate what you actually think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mrD011

Lou.m wrote: »

Germany wants new Eu constitution.........they seem quite certain.

very surprising seeing as they are loosing the battle to curb Far Right Movements throughout their country.

In fact , the more the EU does to unite politically , the more they push the people to Nationalist/anti-globalist ideology.

mrD011 wrote: »
    very surprising seeing as they are loosing the battle to curb Far Right Movements throughout their country.

In fact , the more the EU does to unite politically , the more they push the people to Nationalist/anti-globalist ideology.
    That's news to me. The far right has a negligible political impact in Germany. It has a bigger electoral impact in Britain and France.

Advertisement