Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Science Lab Copy Experiments Problem

• 03-11-2009 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Well i missed a lot of experiments from before
    my teacher is makin us all catch up
    he is saying to copy the experiments word for word from the book.
    my friend's teacher says that thats completely wrong
    so is it ok to copy from the book or what????
    also
    i use the following headings in my experiments: apparatus, method, result, conclusion
    are there any missing that i need to have because some of my friends use 'planning the activity' aswell.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

It's kinda a grey area... Thecnically you not supposed to but we had a sub before who said it doesn't really matter for the method and apparatus/chemicals used. The conclusion and result.. Well if you wern't there for it you have to copy them but try and put them into your own words. The diagram just copy from the book :)

So yeh if you use the book as the guts for your write up but try to phrase it a little differently :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

No, don't worry about what your friend says and do what your teacher says. A labelled diagram is often a useful inclusion. You need only write out the MANDATORY experiments in the book.

When writing them out, use the headings Apparatus, Method, Result and Conclusion + A diagram and you'll be grand. Shorten what's in the book to the best of your ability, because it's got alot of unnessicary information.

In the relatively low chance your experiments book IS checked in the Junior Cert, you must have all the experiments you ticked written up. However, they don't have to be perfect. They don't even have to be neat. Infact, they can be quite poorly written up, and they'll still be accepted. So don't stress about the quality too much - just make sure you have the MANDATORY ones written up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Just write out all your mandatory experiments that you have missed, copy from the book but it doesn't need to be word for word, just shorten it down and draw a diagram.

They are very very rarely checked and generally are a guranteed 10% no matter what, I was worrying about it all year but it was all for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

You would probably get away with it but just switch the wrds in the sentences around so that it still means the same thing.How are the examiners to know that you copied it from the book, there is more than on science book out there.

For ours we have a book that already had the headings written out for us that came with our science book, I think they are date, title of experiment, apparatus, method, diagram, risks, observations, conclusion and evealuation, comments, signature and date (or something like that jst written in a fancier way)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

You would probably get away with it but just switch the wrds in the sentences around so that it still means the same thing.How are the examiners to know that you copied it from the book, there is more than on science book out there.

For ours we have a book that already had the headings written out for us that came with our science book, I think they are date, title of experiment, apparatus, method, diagram, risks, observations, conclusion and evealuation, comments, signature and date (or something like that jst written in a fancier way)
    Lol that brings back memorys... 1st year, Distillation, student teacher being accesed, me and my partners experiment going on fire :pac:
    Actually thats the only thing that ever caused an accident and it was gone in a few mins... Poor s.teacher he almost had a heart attack :P

On Topic: We just write title and date, appartus and chemicals used, method, result and conclusion and a diagram.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

why can I never spell words right in my posts, i made a load of mistakes in thta last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

they don't check every lab copy if you want to take that chance

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Zoticon

Thanks
    i no exactly what to do now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

borrow a friends exp book

BOHtox wrote: »
    they don't check every lab copy if you want to take that chance

It worth 25% of 100 mark

so thats..
    12.5 marks

could help you in long in June 2010

• Advertisement

coldwood92 wrote: »
    It worth 25% of 100 mark

so thats..
    12.5 marks

God help you in maths, 25% of 100 is 25.

Experiments + project are crucially important, especially (actually, definetly) if you want the A. Not doing the experiments is the height of laziness tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

coldwood92 wrote: »
    It worth 25% of 100 mark

so thats..
    12.5 marks

I think it's worth 10%?

The projects are worth 25%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I looked it up 'cause I'm rewriting mine and it said you have to use the specific titles, and planning my activity is one of them. Oh, and only the 30 designated ones are needed, but include a few more just incase.
    They know when the experiments are copied from the book, so rearrange it in your own words. I bought Shortcuts To Success Science Experiments, it has all of them :rolleyes:

Sorry,OP

jumpguy wrote: »
    No, don't worry about what your friend says and do what your teacher says. A labelled diagram is often a useful inclusion. You need only write out the MANDATORY experiments in the book.

When writing them out, use the headings Apparatus, Method, Result and Conclusion + A diagram and you'll be grand. Shorten what's in the book to the best of your ability, because it's got alot of unnessicary information.

In the relatively low chance your experiments book IS checked in the Junior Cert, you must have all the experiments you ticked written up. However, they don't have to be perfect. They don't even have to be neat. Infact, they can be quite poorly written up, and they'll still be accepted. So don't stress about the quality too much - just make sure you have the MANDATORY ones written up.
    I looked it up 'cause I'm rewriting mine and it said you have to use the specific titles, and planning my activity is one of them. Oh, and only the 30 designated ones are needed, but include a few more just incase.
    They know when the experiments are copied from the book, so rearrange it in your own words. I bought Shortcuts To Success Science Experiments, it has all of them :rolleyes:
    Hey, look, waste your time all you want. You "looked it up". Where did you look it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭GO'S

here they only check a few and they are usually people who dont answer the experiment questions on the actual paper

• Registered Users Posts: 1 turkey oak

can any body tell me if they are doing the biology investigation for junior cert coursework b. how can it be done??
    any tips for the physics and chemistry?. I was thinking of doing a titration for the chemistry but am not sure what to do with the tablets. any suggestions????

Advertisement