Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ericom ADSL Pricing

• 20-07-2001 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

im surprised no one has taken the time to do the maths on eircom adsl pricing,

ADSL
    Adsl will have a connection ratio,
    Example, £70 a month at a ratio of 25-1 will get a 2mb from the exchange,
    Now that makes eircom £21000 a year

A 2mb leased line will coast around that if not abite less, so eircom isnt loosing out on it leased line bussiness as its the same bandwidth, allso any clam that they have to limit a adsl service at £70 is bull because they dont limit leased lines,
    you follow what im saying,

on top of this if they had a 50-1 ratio they could offer ADSL at £35 a month and still not loose out bandwidth wise,
    (not they will probably have a 50 - 1 ratio and still charge £70 as that way they get twice the profits)

What im saying is adsl will not distroy leased line bussiness it will probably make eircom even more money,
    Eircom Could provide ADSL allot cheaper they said they will,

And a cap on downloads is totaly uncalled for as its the exact same bandwidth a leased line would get except spread over 25-50 people

I think these question should be raised with the odtr before she agrees a price for adsl with eircom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

The immediate problem is not the price of these currently non-existant services, it's GETTING the services. Let's concentrate on getting DSL in place before we worry about the pricing structure.

Were you at the meeting last night?

Bard
    Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by Gladiator:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    so eircom isnt loosing out on it leased line bussiness as its the same bandwidth,
    </font>

Yup, but how many of those IEP70 customers would have bought their own leased lines at IEP300/month had DSL not been available?

allso any clam that they have to limit a adsl service at £70 is bull because they dont limit leased lines,
    you follow what im saying,
    </font>

As Eircom pointed out, its up to the ISP to limit the bandwidth if they want to. And a 2mb shared between 50 residential users will almost certainly generate a higher bandwidth requirement than a 2mb being used by a business.

What im saying is adsl will not distroy leased line bussiness it will probably make eircom even more money,
    </font>

I agree with that much. DSL is a very different service to leased lines. At the low end of the leased line market, a few people may drop off and buy DSL instead. Most leased line people, who would likely to be running fairly mission critical applications on their lines (judging from the price they're paying) will have the sense not to move.

Right now, everybody's talking about how great things would be if we only had DSL, but once DSL is actually in use, people will begin to see just how limited it really is: Your business can't afford to depend on it; It isn't always very fast; its not cheap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm with Bard on this one. Discussing pricing on services that simply aren't available is illogical. Concentrate on the important issues - I'm sure we'll have plenty of time to complain about rpicing later on.

adam

im just saying the prices that eircom are talking 70-100 pounds are totaly unfounded unless they are going to provide a high quaility service with something from 25-1 to 20-1 connection ratio which we all know they wont,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    im just saying the prices that eircom are talking 70-100 pounds </font>
    Where are you getting those figures from?

• Advertisement

im getting those figures from articles posted on this forum and first hand accounts by members of this forum with eircon reps,

of course that is just what they want to charge, the odtr may have other idea at which point a delay in roll out will probably happen,

and the leased line price is what the company i work for pay for a 2mb link

So you see im not just pulling them out of tine air

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

AFAIK, there are no concrete prices yet. There is certainly no official word, all prices are rumours and conjecture. I didnt hear anything concrete about pricing at the meeting last night, but then i was late so maybe i missed it smile.gif
    60 quid seems to be the figure bandied about most, but again, its not official so i wouldnt go getting your head wrecked working out the maths of it till you have a DEFINITE price.

£60 seems to be the price will a 1gb limit,

From what i can see thats really £42 as you dont pay line rental on top of the £60 but that to could change

/me slaps Gladiator with a large trout , you weren't at the meeting you so and so biggrin.gif . One of the things that there did appear to be widespread aggreement at it was , get the services offered FIRST at whatever pricing, then let competition do its thing and drive the prices down.

price is one things, the clams of one gig limit will make the service worthless, even a 3gig one

• Advertisement

but fair enough less focus on getting it, and hten making sure its spread out

Well if Eircom introduce ADSL, whatever the price, it means Esat et al must also be allowed do so, with what's meant to be a similar cost base. So, if Eircom wanna try and rip off everyone, it should be reasonably attractive for competitors to come in. We'll see soon enough.

hopefully without a limit,
    personaly i dont mind a 50-1 connection as i wont be there during the day and id be quite happy to exchange one for the other

The thing is Eircom wanted £25 for line rental from ESAT, ODTR set it at about £12, doesnt matter what eircom says it will cos, it's what the ODTR does.

Advertisement