Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaeilge....help!

Options
  • 06-04-2014 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I've my oral on tuesday and I'm fairly confident with my spoken irish, having been to the gaeltacht a fair few times.

I want to do Irish in college next year and I got an A2 in my mock, so I'm hoping to keep my grade as high as possible (maybe even get an A1...le cunamh De!)

But I was wondering about the dreaded modh cionniollach question. Is there a way to get around it by bringing it up yourself? I've prepared this but I need to get it corrected, because I'm still not 100% on the tense myself. If ye could help me out with correcting it I would be ever so grateful :P

Seo é:

Dá mbéinn i m'Aire Oideachas, bhéinn sásta stop a chur leis na sraith phictiúr ar fad. I mo thuairmse, tá siad úafásach! Is rud ró-deacra é - an fiche chinn a fhoghlaim de ghleanmheabhair agus é a athrá ar lá na scrudaithe. Sna teangacha eile, bíonn orainn cúig cinn mar sin a fhoglaim agus ansin an cómhra ginerálta agus sin é. Nach bhfuil sé sin níos fearr? (As Béarla: If I was the minister for education, I would be happy to put a complete stop to the sraith phictiúr. In my opinion, they're terrible! Its too difficult - 20 things to learn off by heart and repeat them on the day of the exam. In other languages, we have to learn 5 things like this and then there's general conversation and thats it. Isn't that much better?)

If you could correct any mistakes or give me a more fluent way to say what I'm trying to get across, that would be fantastic :)

Go raibh maith agaibh! (Agus go n-eiri libh!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭electric applause

Also...If I use this straight after the sraith, will it prevent them asking me a MC question?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

I would say after the sraiths is probably the best time to get it in like 'what do you think happened after this sraith?' Cad a cheapfá gur tharla ina ndiaidh an sraith seo? (A. caite) There is a chance that the examiner will throw this question back at you!! If you are scared, the general rule is say 'hinn' after the verb with no mé. You will only really be asked about you.

For the sraiths you could say; 'Cheapfainn go raibh deiridh dearfach ann i nginearálta, buíochas le Dia. Is docha go raibh
    (feeling) orthu ach ní feidir leo tada a dhéanadh faoi anois!'

I though there was generally a positive ending, thanks be to God. It's probable that they felt -- but there's not much they can do about it now!

Just an example. Don't be afraid about it - treat it like everything else. Best of luck!!

Advertisement