Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is leaving certificate music easier than Irish?

• 05-04-2014 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm originally from England and have been studying Irish since 3rd class. I got a C in my junior certificate, a D in the pre-exam, and haven't gotten a higher grade since entering secondary school (class tests, etc.).
    For reasons I'd rather not delve into on here, I have an exemption from the oral part of the leaving cert exam, and I am also eligible from an exemption from the subject altogether. I am horrendous at the comprehension sections of the paper and I struggle quite a bit with the amount of learning required for the studied text/poem (though that might be just because of my teacher).

I used to take violin lessons and am seriously considering taking them up again at a music school in my town, which also provides lessons & grinds for LC. music, two from my year attend it and both say it's a brilliant school. I have also inquired from other people who study music in-school who say that it is quite an easy subject to take up, and I have also read that it is the easiest subject to get an honour in. I've also been taking online theory classes.

I am seriously considering swapping Irish for music, as I am really worried about this and I really do not want to do two ordinary level subjects (I already do pass maths and will only have 6 subjects). I don't need to decide until August, but I'd rather make the decision sooner as yesterday, my principal, vice-principal, and year head all announced that they retiring after this year and I'd rather get the exemption from someone I know well, rather than talking it all out with a stranger.

I am 16 and currently in 5th year, but I will be repeating 5th year again next year.

~I'm sorry this was so long, it's my first one and I didn't want to leave anything out~.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The exemption will come from the Department rather than anyone in your school.

Whether you are able to do another subject instead (during Irish class time) will depend on timetabling restrictions and the number of other people with full exemptions, which will be unique to your school.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oswinoswald

Music is quite easy for the leaving cert especially if you already play an instrument or sing. The practical can make up 50% of your overall grade. The course is not long: you study four works, (e.g this year it is Mozart, Berlioz, The Beatles and Deane) for a listening paper, and then you do a composing paper.

Like you I am exempt from Irish, however I dropped down to pass, and I do music outside of school. I don't know how difficult it would be for you to cover the whole music course in a year.

Advertisement