Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Not a bad team to play sunday, would be

1. Stephen O Keffee
    2. Ringo Kearney
    3. Liam Lawlor
    4. Philip Mahony
    5. Tony Browne
    6. Brick Walsh
    7. Darragh Fives
    8. Kevin Moran
    9. Stephen Molumphy
    10. Maurice Shanahan
    11. Seamus Pender
    12. Eoin Kelly
    13. John Mullane
    14. Shane Walsh
    15. Gavin O' Brien

That team is definetly good enough to beat Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

zol 2 wrote: »
    iggy
    ringo
    lawlor
    phillip mahony
    tony browne
    brick
    moran
    foley
    nagle
    maurice shan
    kelly
    a n other(eoin mc/molumphy/martin o neill)
    gavin o brien
    shane walsh
    mullane

Am i close would anyone think?
    id say your not to far off the mark there, maybe a few changes, nothing against iggy personally or (power) but imo S.O.K is our best keeper

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Don't know the score but I heard Waterford gave Limerick a trimming in a challenge match over the weekend. Anybody hear the score. Hopefully the team are settled for Sunday and travel up to Thurles with confidence and get a win. This is going to be one hard battle, Davy will have his team well prepared for us I wonder is he hoarse yet. Hard to know will he use tactics to intimidate us as he has some very good hurlers at his disposal I don't think there will be any need for them. Any news of the intermediate panel. I'm traveling up early to see both games plenty to look forward to I hope.Tickets sales are very poor so far there wont be a big Waterford crowd ,I'd say the Clare support will outnumber us maybe sales will pick up this week. Getting nervous time hope they don't fail like the soccor team did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

1. Stephen O Keffee
    2. Ringo Kearney
    3. Liam Lawlor
    4. Philip Mahony
    5. Tony Browne
    6. Brick Walsh
    7. Darragh Fives
    8. Kevin Moran
    9. Stephen Molumphy
    10. Maurice Shanahan
    11. Seamus Pender
    12. Eoin Kelly
    13. John Mullane
    14. Shane Walsh
    15. Gavin O' Brien

For sure, on paper that team has plenty in the tank to dismantle Clare, for sure. Much more experienced, and better players too. I know I said earlier I'm getting nervous, but to be honest thinking about it over breakfast this morning, I'm almost sure we'll win. Think about it, Waterford always step up to the plate in Munster, we've been underdogs going into Munster matches before, particularly against Cork, and ended up winning. Clare aren't that experienced. But the only worry is for sure Davy will have them ready. He's a fanatic when it comes to pre match preperation and organization, we all know that. He'll have them eating raw meat up in Clare no doubt. But I still think we'll win. I feel Clare
    Just don't have it in them to pull it out of the bag. We're to good for them. Ken and Michael and his management team will have us ready I'm sure. Up the Déise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Cake Man

1. Stephen O Keffee
    2. Ringo Kearney
    3. Liam Lawlor
    4. Philip Mahony
    5. Tony Browne
    6. Brick Walsh
    7. Darragh Fives
    8. Kevin Moran
    9. Stephen Molumphy
    10. Maurice Shanahan
    11. Seamus Pender
    12. Eoin Kelly
    13. John Mullane
    14. Shane Walsh
    15. Gavin O' Brien

I'd go along with that team myself, maybe Foley for Molumphy though. Hopefully Darragh will be fit, he should be.
    Don't know the score but I heard Waterford gave Limerick a trimming in a challenge match over the weekend. Anybody hear the score.

Heard we won 0-23 to 1-13 in Mallow, was meant to be played in Thurles but was moved. Didn't get a team or anything, Kelly apparently played centre forward. Good confidence booster going into next Sunday anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

zol 2 wrote: »
    iggy
    ringo
    lawlor
    phillip mahony
    tony browne
    brick
    moran
    foley
    nagle
    maurice shan
    kelly
    a n other(eoin mc/molumphy/martin o neill)
    gavin o brien
    shane walsh
    mullane

Am i close would anyone think?

If thats the team that will line out on Sunday, I will give my Number 1 & 2 to Paudie Coffey and Ciara Conway in the next general election.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Waiting for my ticket via the season ticket system. Not nervous though as I've written off this game in my head. Normally I'm an optimist when it comes to these things, but alas I just cant see us doing it Sunday. Will still be there screaming the boys on mind.

Few if any gave us a chance back in 2004 after suffering a heavy defeat to Galway in the League Final at Limerick and a week later we went out and hammered the you know what out of Clare in the first round of the Munster Championship.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    would Shane O Sullivan had of left to go to the usa if we had a good league campaign and the camp was in a good state. ??

Something seems odd that a guranteed starter would put a summer job ahead of a guranteed championship place.

After the disapointment of the soccer tonight do Waterford people want to see Davy danicing with joy on the sideline (if they win fair and square tan what can we do?) and with Waterford having a short summer

Come on the deise we were wrote off before lets prove everyone wrong but from stuff that i heard (cant make public) the camp is in right ****.

Is there anybody right now who has a chance of work even if its for a few days that wont put it ahead of Hurling or anything else. If they do then there could be something wrong with them.

1. Stephen O Keffee
    2. Ringo Kearney
    3. Liam Lawlor
    4. Philip Mahony
    5. Tony Browne
    6. Brick Walsh
    7. Darragh Fives
    8. Kevin Moran
    9. Stephen Molumphy
    10. Maurice Shanahan
    11. Seamus Pender
    12. Eoin Kelly
    13. John Mullane
    14. Shane Walsh
    15. Gavin O' Brien

Much the same team as i would pick. Is everyone writing Noel Connors off. Michael Ryan said on WLR one moring last week he was going well in training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

1. Stephen O Keffee
    2. Ringo Kearney
    3. Liam Lawlor
    4. Philip Mahony
    5. Tony Browne
    6. Brick Walsh
    7. Darragh Fives
    8. Kevin Moran
    9. Stephen Molumphy
    10. Maurice Shanahan
    11. Seamus Pender
    12. Eoin Kelly
    13. John Mullane
    14. Shane Walsh
    15. Gavin O' Brien

I'd probably start Connors if he's fit, other than that I'd say that's about right, and Connors may well not be fit to start! Don't think we've much choice, and I also think our bench is that strong.

Foley doesn't sound like he's been impressing since coming back, Martin O'Neillis a decent player but not unreal, who's our next forward option outside of that? Tommy Ryan? Shane Casey? Would love to see both to well and hopefully thye will if they get their chance, but you couldn't say we've strong options there. Daniels will probably be first choice defender after which ever one of Connors or Mahony doesn't start. Nagle seems like the next likely to be in contention, but I don't see him as the calibre of player that would help win us a Munster Title, hoping he;ll prove me wrong on that one.

Clare will be good lads, I have no doubt about it. The question is will we be better? I think we'll need our best performance in our first game in Munster since 2007 to beat them. While obviously I'd be devastated at a loss but happy to see Clare become a good team under normal circumstances, I have to say that I think their is a lot at stake on Sunday. I would hate to lose to Davy, and watch him jump around like a lunatic and then give the post match interview where he bows his head and hardly looks at the interviewer, like an arrogant teenager. Before anyone says it, yes I do have a chip on my shoulder when it comes to him, it's just his general demeanour and how he feeds this media belief that he stalled a sinking ship in Waterford the past 3 and a half years and is a very good manager that a limited squad.

I don't accept it, and I hope they prove a point Sunday, and what a point it would be especially when you consider the limited resources we've had this year when in contrast Davy spared no expense to our financial detriment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

PTH2009 wrote: »
    would Shane O Sullivan had of left to go to the usa if we had a good league campaign and the camp was in a good state. ??

Something seems odd that a guranteed starter would put a summer job ahead of a guranteed championship place.

After the disapointment of the soccer tonight do Waterford people want to see Davy danicing with joy on the sideline (if they win fair and square tan what can we do?) and with Waterford having a short summer

Come on the deise we were wrote off before lets prove everyone wrong but from stuff that i heard (cant make public) the camp is in right ****.

Perhaps the issue wasnt with the waterford camp, mabye closer to home ?

1. Stephen O Keffee
    2. Ringo Kearney
    3. Liam Lawlor
    4. Philip Mahony
    5. Tony Browne
    6. Brick Walsh
    7. Darragh Fives
    8. Kevin Moran
    9. Stephen Molumphy
    10. Maurice Shanahan
    11. Seamus Pender
    12. Eoin Kelly
    13. John Mullane
    14. Shane Walsh
    15. Gavin O' Brien

Decent looking team, question tony starting though , not sure about his pace for the first 20 min of this one but what a guy to have fit and ready on the bench, Hutchsion or Foley ?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Black Suir wrote: »

1. Stephen O Keffee
    2. Ringo Kearney
    3. Liam Lawlor
    4. Philip Mahony
    5. Tony Browne
    6. Brick Walsh
    7. Darragh Fives
    8. Kevin Moran
    9. Stephen Molumphy
    10. Maurice Shanahan
    11. Seamus Pender
    12. Eoin Kelly
    13. John Mullane
    14. Shane Walsh
    15. Gavin O' Brien

Much the same team as i would pick. Is everyone writing Noel Connors off. Michael Ryan said on WLR one moring last week he was going well in training.

Noel is only tipping along he's not even in contention still a bit to go yet pointless rushing back.. Darragh fives is injured as is Tony both fighting to be fit for Sunday but fives is 50 50 Tony should be ok . Moran will be wing back for either one if they don't pull thru. I'm led to believe shamie prender wont start Kelly is a dead cert for no.11
    If Moran is wing back Twomey will be alongside Richie foley

(The Waterford team Friday night was

O'Keeffe
    Kearney
    Lawlor
    Daniels
    Mahony
    Brick
    Hutchinson
    Foley
    Nagle
    Shanahan
    Kelly
    Molumphy
    Mullane
    Walsh
    Not sure. O Brien blue helmet )

Above was the team playing limerick on friday according to a post on An fear Rua,

Watched the '04 Munster Championship Semi Final against Clare to get me riled up for the banner on sunday. Big Dan got a hat trick, Paul Flynn and Ken and Tony were at their peak, and Mullane was flying. We ate Clare that day. If only the current crop of players was as talented. There's no replacement for Big Dan in the panel, and there isn't for Paul Flynn either. Flynn was just incredible, his stickwork and skill levels were phenomenal. Unreal. He could do anything with a Hurley and sliothar. Theres nobody near as good as him in current panel in terms of skill level.

We'll beat Clare I can feel it. We always step up in Munster when things are against us. Clare don't have it in them, but in another year or less they will. There still young fellas. Nobody on their team can match the experience of fellas like Tony Browne or mullane or Eoin Kelly.

But we have to be prepared for the worst, so if we do lose, where does that leave us in terms of our season? I mean your margin for error is 0 in the qualifiers, so its sink or swim. Very risky business going the scenic route in the championship, no matter who you are. Personally I'd be worried if we lose on Sunday and are dumped into the qualifiers. Confidence
    Will be right down. But I'm very optimistic about Sunday so I don't think we'll need to think about that.

Watched the '04 Munster Championship Semi Final against Clare to get me riled up for the banner on sunday. Big Dan got a hat trick, Paul Flynn and Ken and Tony were at their peak, and Mullane was flying. We ate Clare that day. If only the current crop of players was as talented. There's no replacement for Big Dan in the panel, and there isn't for Paul Flynn either. Flynn was just incredible, his stickwork and skill levels were phenomenal. Unreal. He could do anything with a Hurley and sliothar. Theres nobody near as good as him in current panel in terms of skill level.

We'll beat Clare I can feel it. We always step up in Munster when things are against us. Clare don't have it in them, but in another year or less they will. There still young fellas. Nobody on their team can match the experience of fellas like Tony Browne or mullane or Eoin Kelly.

But we have to be prepared for the worst, so if we do lose, where does that leave us in terms of our season? I mean your margin for error is 0 in the qualifiers, so its sink or swim. Very risky business going the scenic route in the championship, no matter who you are. Personally I'd be worried if we lose on Sunday and are dumped into the qualifiers. Confidence
    Will be right down. But I'm very optimistic about Sunday so I don't think we'll need to think about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

As we're pickin teams I'l have a go! Maybe one or two surprises in the lineup.

Sok
    Ringo
    Lawlor
    Daniels
    Fives
    Brick
    Mahoney
    Moran
    Foley
    Maurice
    Kelly
    Molumphy
    Mullane
    Walsh
    O Brien.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Im real worried about the game, we always tend to be quite iffy in our first game and with a weakened team this year it looks like its all against us :/ Although looking at the possible teams there it doesnt seem too bad..
    That is until DublinGAA96 started talking about the days of having Dan, Flynn Mullane and Kelly at their best all in the forwards and comparing it to now >.<

Still though, im sure by Saturday night ill get some unexplainable bout of optimism to get me through the game :pac:
    Hon scully's army!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

when all these fellas were starting out,we could only dream about how good they could be ,and they did not disappoint,now the most important fact is for all their hurling none of them did or can win a senior all ireland unlike the lads that are there now ,major talent that given time and luck we will hold them in the same light as flynner and co.
    gavin,maurice,connors,richie foley,etc let alone the pure class of the other established lads that still have years on thier side ,shane walsh ,kevin moran etc stop looking to far back they lads we have now have major talent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

when all these fellas were starting out,we could only dream about how good they could be ,and they did not disappoint,now the most important fact is for all their hurling none of them did or can win a senior all ireland unlike the lads that are there now ,major talent that given time and luck we will hold them in the same light as flynner and co.
    gavin,maurice,connors,richie foley,etc let alone the pure class of the other established lads that still have years on thier side ,shane walsh ,kevin moran etc stop looking to far back they lads we have now have major talent

Lets not forget how much of a freak it was for those players to come through and be as good as they were considering the poor underage teams many of them came from bar 1992. The players coming through now have a winning mentality, they are used to beating the top teams at underage level and given time I think they will show how good they are at senior level too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

deisedude wrote: »
    Lets not forget how much of a freak it was for those players to come through and be as good as they were considering the poor underage teams many of them came from bar 1992. The players coming through now have a winning mentality, they are used to beating the top teams at underage level and given time I think they will show how good they are at senior level too
    ageed let alone the class minors that will be on the scene in a couple of years , cmon sunday ,cmon the deise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

For sure, on paper that team has plenty in the tank to dismantle Clare, for sure. Much more experienced, and better players too. I know I said earlier I'm getting nervous, but to be honest thinking about it over breakfast this morning, I'm almost sure we'll win. Think about it, Waterford always step up to the plate in Munster, we've been underdogs going into Munster matches before, particularly against Cork, and ended up winning. Clare aren't that experienced. But the only worry is for sure Davy will have them ready. He's a fanatic when it comes to pre match preperation and organization, we all know that. He'll have them eating raw meat up in Clare no doubt. But I still think we'll win. I feel Clare
    Just don't have it in them to pull it out of the bag. We're to good for them. Ken and Michael and his management team will have us ready I'm sure. Up the Déise!

You must have had something nice for breakfast! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭liogairmhordain

deisedude wrote: »

i'd say the under age records of the two eras are similar enough.
    waterford won munster u21 in 92 and 94 and munster minor in 92. on top of that mcgrath shanahan murphy bennett murray etc came from a decent minor group that reached munster minor finals in 94-95-96.
    in those five years (92-96) waterford played in 6 under age munster finals, winning 3 and losing 3.
    by comparison in the last five years (07-11) waterford have been to 5 munster under age finals, winning one and losing 4. (three of those finals against clare).

just as a matter of interest ( while the subject has being brought up ) when are our minors playing tipp. and how do ye think we'll do. from what im reading their minors are a strong side this year

just as a matter of interest ( while the subject has being brought up ) when are our minors playing tipp. and how do ye think we'll do. from what im reading their minors are a strong side this year

Playing Tipp on Wednesday the 27th of
    June. Our minors are good this year, but personally I feel Tipp will be too strong for them. Hopefully I'll be wrong.

Playing Tipp on Wednesday the 27th of
    June. Our minors are good this year, but personally I feel Tipp will be too strong for them. Hopefully I'll be wrong.

Thanks, any idea where it's going to be played ?
    if i remember right didn't we beat them the past two years ?
    i think we'll beat them we have good minors coming up ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Thanks, any idea where it's going to be played ?
    if i remember right didn't we beat them the past two years ?
    i think we'll beat them we have good minors coming up ranks.

Thurles.

It will be tough, Tipp are meant to have a decent team but minor is a very unpredictable grade so it’s hard to call. They did beat us by a point or two in a challenge game about two months back so that would suggest both teams would prob be as good as each other. Hope we can win because this is a really good minor team this year and would be disappointing to see their summer end early.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DeiseX

Speaking of the Minor hurlers - there's a fund-raising quiz for them tonight at 9pm in the Showboat. Teams of 4 are €20 (I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

DeiseX wrote: »
    Speaking of the Minor hurlers - there's a fund-raising quiz for them tonight at 9pm in the Showboat. Teams of 4 are €20 (I think).

My Guess one of the prizes will be tickets to a certain match next sunday :D

• Advertisement

Picked up the News and Star today in the shop. Definetly worth getting, I recommend it. Loads of pre match build up, interviews, discussion, and more from people like Paul Flynn, Phil Fanning and John A Murphy(the voice of Waterford GAA).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement