Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connecting VCR to Sky box & second satellite receiver

• 16-11-2005 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

My current setup is Sky box (Pace), DVD player & VCR connected to the Sky box (which is connected to the TV AV1 SCART) plus second satellite box (Astra 1) going into AV2 in the telly. I can record sky while watching AV2 feed no problem. Now I would like to record from the Astra 1 box as well BUT the VCR has no Scart in/out connector (thus allowing me to use a SCART splitter), just the coax ones going to the sky box. It has a SCART connector but that is marked TV and the manual says it is only meant for connecting to the telly for a better signal (And i tried a direct connection from that SCART to the Astra 1 box but no joy). Is there any way I can get a signal from the Astra 1 box (which has a video scart) to the VCR while maintaining the current setup?
    Any help greatly appreciated ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

True all wire SCART switch box on VCR. Though you can buy an entire VHS for the price of good SCART switch. Try Hills Electronics UK for 4 way SCART for about £6 with all wires switched. But you need a straight SCART on output (all normal SCART cables are reverse on video and audio). It was 5 min soldering though to reverse 3 pairs of wires on the out connector to use a regular SCART cable on common SCART.

Most SCART switrches don't switch all the wires and cause problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

is the sky feed into the video SCART or RF? does the astra box have a RF out on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

Is there any other form of AV input into the video such as phono sockets or S video ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

Thanks for your replies.
    The only AV feed to the VCR is via RF, the Astra box has no RF only Scart out .. so it looks I am out of options for this setup or get another recording device::( (hmm, a DVD recorder would be nice now ...)
    Ah well it was a nice idea while it lasted :rolleyes: why should I expect a cheap Argos VCR to be able to talk to a cheap satellite receiver :p

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

You could get an RF modulator, as sold by Maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=33050&doy=17m11

This will allow you to connect your astra box to the RF in on your VCR

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I reckon you'd be better spending the extra and getting a decent VCR (or perhaps DVD Recorder) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

byte wrote:
    I reckon you'd be better spending the extra and getting a decent VCR (or perhaps DVD Recorder) :)

My thinking exactly ... lets see what Santi has to say ... :D

Advertisement