Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mezz @ Dundrum

• 23-09-2011 10:26am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Did a search but couldn't find much.

Does anything know anything about the Mezz and if it's worth buying tickets for there? What makes it so "VIP"?
    Thinking about booking tickets for Tinker, Tailor tonight.

Also on the website it's saying that tickets are €10. Do you have to book normal tickets as well or are tickets for it only €10. I can't find anything that gives an answer to that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,969 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Showing up as €18 for me.

You get a bigger, more comforatble seat with bigger arm rests, far more leg room - making it easier to get to/from your seat without squeezing passed people. the chairs recline a bit. You also get €8.50 worth of food. I would usually spend this on food in the cinema anyway so it all works out about the same price as a normal ticket imo, but more comfortable.

All in all, I prefer the Mezz experience and prefer going to the cinema when I can get decent tickets in there, as it doesn't cost me anymore - but if you bring your own food to the cinema when you go then it would be a good deal more expensive so I'm not sure if it would be worth it to you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Showing up as €18 for me.

You get a bigger, more comforatble seat with bigger arm rests, far more leg room - making it easier to get to/from your seat without squeezing passed people. the chairs recline a bit. You also get €8.50 worth of food. I would usually spend this on food in the cinema anyway so it all works out about the same price as a normal ticket imo, but more comfortable.

That's odd. Just checked again and it's now €18.10. It was definitely €10 earlier.

Maybe someone saw this thread! :D

Decided not to got his week anyway but I might check it out next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I've been to the Mezz in Swords and love the place. It's just so much better and works out at pretty much the same price (I think it's a large drink and popcorn you get with the ticket price). And if you feel like it you can get beer, wine or coffee. It's the way movies should be watched. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

I know this is an old thread, but there is not much more on this topic in other threads.

I noticed on images of the seating arrangement that the VIP seats are right at the back. What is the screen view like? Is it too far away? I prefer to be seated around the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Been to the Mezz in Swords and while its comfortable and your more likely to have people who actually want o see the film the screen is a good bit smaller.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Its nowhere near worth the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,939 ✭✭✭✭event

id say it is, easily for long films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

I was in the Mezz once in Dundrum, there were two rows of seats. It seemed fine but it's pricy enough. Although it might be better if you are booking a seat to pick the row in the Mezz nearest to the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Price seems to be fine as it's €18 for ticket, popcorn and drink - I'd normally be paying that anyway. I was just wondering what the viewing angle was like so far back.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

EnterNow wrote: »
    Its nowhere near worth the price.

It very much is. As above, I always get food (usually nachos and a drink) so it costs no more than sitting in the normal seats and getting the food, plus its more comfortable.
    the pnly issuie is the pointless brass bar they have on top of the divide between the Mezz and the normal seats. It's just about below my eyeline (I'm just under 6' ) so anyon esmaller is a bit disctracted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It very much is. As above, I always get food (usually nachos and a drink) so it costs no more than sitting in the normal seats and getting the food, plus its more comfortable.
    the pnly issuie is the pointless brass bar they have on top of the divide between the Mezz and the normal seats. It's just about below my eyeline (I'm just under 6' ) so anyon esmaller is a bit disctracted.

Thats fine if you eat the sh1te at cinemas, a drink does me fine, normal seats do the job just fine, & that brass bar can die in a fire :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Yeah that bar is a pain. The seats are nice and comfy though. If you normally get popcorn and a drink at the cinema then the mezz is worth the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

I go to the cinema in Swords and always try use the Mezz if the film I want to see is on. It's great..

Went to TDKR on the weekend, and for a film that long the seats make it worthwhile. Being over 6 foot, the extra leg room makes such a difference.
    In a normal screen, any film of 2+ hours has me constantly moving and fidgeting to stop my legs going dead.

I'd always buy popcorn+coke at the cinema as well. It's all part of the cinema experience :) ,so having it included in the ticket cost works out fine.

The audience it attracts seem to take the film a lot more serious too. You don't get talkers/phone users/general messers, which is always a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Old thread I know, but still valid.
    Can someone elaborate in relation to VIP seats in Dundrum - post above suggests that there are ordinary seats also whereas I saw other posts saying that it's just the 2 vip rows with a dedicated screen?

Old thread I know, but still valid.
    Can someone elaborate in relation to VIP seats in Dundrum - post above suggests that there are ordinary seats also whereas I saw other posts saying that it's just the 2 vip rows with a dedicated screen?

Screen 1 in Dundrum has 3 rows of seats at the back in the Mezz. Its a separate area accessed from a stairs up to a separate lobby. The rest of the screen is filled with normal seats. Theres a 2nd screen there too and is a smaller one filled with the VIP seats , its upstairs in the same separate lobby

thanks.

so the 3 rows in the Mezz are looking at the big screen but in a different cordoned off area and then VIP seats are different again facing a small screen?

thanks.

so the 3 rows in the Mezz are looking at the big screen but in a different cordoned off area

Yeah the 3 rows are behind the last row of regular seats and raised up with a wall separating.You cant go between the 2 sections. Theres 2 different entrances.

Thats Screen 1, the biggest one.
    and then VIP seats are different again facing a small screen?

Its the same type of seats as the Mezz iirc (only in that one once , it may be call Mezz screen 2 or somesuch). Its a 2nd Mezz screen they opened a couple of years back. Smaller than screen 1 and with no regular seats.

Same setup regarding more expensive ticket but including food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Seen Inglorious Bastards in the Mezz in Swords, loved it. The seats are great but I didn't recline much as it felt uncomfortable without something to support your feet. Smuggle a foot stool in. I'm only 5 9". Maybe that's why.

As for being worth it. Of course it is and I don't even eat popcorn.

Yeah the 3 rows are behind the last row of regular seats and raised up with a wall separating.You cant go between the 2 sections. Theres 2 different entrances.

Thats Screen 1, the biggest one.

Its the same type of seats as the Mezz iirc (only in that one once , it may be call Mezz screen 2 or somesuch). Its a 2nd Mezz screen they opened a couple of years back. Smaller than screen 1 and with no regular seats.

Same setup regarding more expensive ticket but including food.

Found this pic - are these black seats the Screen 1 mezz? Other than seat quality did you feel the price was worth it? The pic doesn't seem to do it that much justice!

mezz.png

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

The seats in the Brooks Hotel private cinema are the most comfortable I've ever been in.

Only downside is that the screen is quite small. Around the size of Screen 3 in the IFI, but the room is bigger and so still very enjoyable.

private_cinema_dublin.jpg

screening_room_02.jpg

Found this pic - are these black seats the Screen 1 mezz? Other than seat quality did you feel the price was worth it? The pic doesn't seem to do it that much justice!

mezz.png

Take away the cost of the food you get and the ticket is the same price anyway. I usually get a nacho combo when I'm there so it's a no brainer to get the comfier seats and be further back for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Haven't been in a long time but I seem to remember saying to myself 'Never Again'. I'm only 5'8" and I think the bar blocked some of my view or it might have been that the mezz back row isn't raised as high as the mezz row in front compared to the tiering in the regular seats and thus peoples heads in that front row were more objectionable than they'd be in the regular seating.

Calibos wrote: »
    Haven't been in a long time but I seem to remember saying to myself 'Never Again'. I'm only 5'8" and I think the bar blocked some of my view or it might have been that the mezz back row isn't raised as high as the mezz row in front compared to the tiering in the regular seats and thus peoples heads in that front row were more objectionable than they'd be in the regular seating.

This was precisely my concern from looking at the photo!

I only had issues in the front row, with the bar. Middle and back rows are fine. I've had my kids in them without issue (for them :-) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I once went to The Electric in London. One screen in a lovely old theatre with amazing seats and footrests. You even get a side table and, if I remember correctly, a wine cooler.

electric-beds.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nialler39

I tried it last night and never again. Leather seats ok but my view was obscured by some guys head. He had payed less then me. I would imagine you would get a clear view for the price but not so in my case. Iv also noticed they added way more adds in dundrum before the film starts.

Advertisement